What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just got back from a three week long vacation last night. I checked my parameters ammonia 0ppm, nitrites 0ppm, nitrates 80ppm. How does this happen?!? I thought the plants took in the nitrates? I am so confused. But all my fish and shrimp are doing perfectly fine

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I just got back from a three week long vacation last night. I checked my parameters ammonia 0ppm, nitrites 0ppm, nitrates 80ppm. How does this happen?!? I thought the plants took in the nitrates? I am so confused. But all my fish and shrimp are doing perfectly fine

Certain fast growing plants can take up nitrates as fast as a stocked tank can produce them, provided the property lighting and other fertilizer conditions. Something like anubias or java fern isn't going to have any noticeable effects on nitrate levels.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This was to Keegster, Sorry I should have used the quote, been away for 3 weeks on vacation, what's Huh mean??

Last edited:
This was to Keegster, Sorry I should have used the quote, been away for 3 weeks on vacation, what's Huh mean??

That makes more sense now. Huh is like "what are you talking about" but shorter.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

More Water Changes

Changing out a lot of water every week as I have for the last decade or so. 6 tanks from 20 to 60 gallons. Change half the water in them every week. That comes to roughly 55,000 gallons of water. Still use the old bucket method to make sure the water treatment is dosed correctly.

The neat thing about changing so much water, is you never need to test what's in the tank, because the water is always clear of dissolved wastes. Minimal filtration is needed because the filters just filter water that's already clean. No more vacuuming the bottom material. It all dissolves in the water and when you remove the water you remove whatever has dissolved in it. Fish live in water free of wastes and the plants always have high mineral levels for good growth. The fry grow quickly in pure water conditions, there's a high fry survival rate, no wastes to stress them. The Platys, Swordtails, Plecos, Guppies and Corys thrive in all the clean water. The more you remove the more dissolved wastes are also removed.

Life is good.

B

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422569332.733404.jpg Got the light for my new tank in the mail...hoping to start building it this weekend. :) Excuse the stickers and whatnot still on it...I bought it and had surgery afterward, so I wasn't able to play with it at all. Torture!

The spouse surprised me and brought home a 10g from Petsmart yesterday so I've been working on that.

Acclimated and added this handsome guy and his 2 female friends to the Endlers tank:

img_3147676_0_371513a40fcda71abd5c5aca450928a9.jpg

And dealt with a runaway nerite snail I found scooting across the kitchen counter...

Tried to move the Angel wiggler babies before they got to swimming but when I got home most of them were swimming, scooped them up and moved them to the other tank after getting all the filter openings addressed.

Then moved the mom over and as I was trying to catch the male, she ate almost all of them. I was in horror when I realized what happened. I scooped her back out then instantly and there were maybe only a handful of them left. Very disappointed. We will see if the babies can survive. Otherwise I will just move the eggs next time and be done with the situation.

I would like a couple pretty Koi Angels from them but I am about to sell off the girls and just keep a few males in there instead and let someone else raise Angelfish babies and I will be a Angel buyer instead. I wish I had more time for focusing on raising them. They should have really nice babies.

Filled all SW evap, nearly doing that every day, or every other. Found a SW Nerite on the floor with its trap shut, so I plunked it back into the tank and it has been roving all over the glass, so happy to see it is still alive.

Very disheartening Autumn when this happens, I have had the same, the key is to put both male and female in a separate tank before laying and keep away from them, any threat to them and that's it, you have still done more than I have getting wrigglers, keep it up!!

Added a new anubias nana and some lemon bacopa stems yesterday. Also moved and thinned out some of the other plants. Should look nice when everything grows in

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Got my wood stove kicking out enough heat that my tank heater isn't being used. Water temperature is like 80 instead of set 76.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

d
Very disheartening Autumn when this happens, I have had the same, the key is to put both male and female in a separate tank before laying and keep away from them, any threat to them and that's it, you have still done more than I have getting wrigglers, keep it up!!

Good news is there are actually a whole bunch of Angel Babies that are still alive after day 1 on their own. They must have been falling into the rocks on the bottom of the tank when I swooshed them into the water, (and it has lots of moss) so maybe I actually caught mom before she got too many of them. Can hardly see the babies, but hoping from the loose count of the little guys maybe about 20-25.

That is a decent amount to start out raising. We will see if, and when I can raise them past the little tiny stage to the fin stage and I will feel like I have hit a mark! Have to admit, I am hopeful and excited to see the colors and patterns if we get that far... I have been feeding them often appx 3 times today, and maybe one bedtime feeding

Fed frozen foods BBS to new Angel babies, also to all other tanks Brine Shrimp, and Mysis, and found some special Ken's flake food and used that last night and today to change it up a bit. Don't normally feed flake.

The Anubias is getting a super cleaning by the snail teams, MTS and Mystery. After they are finished we will get it back into the 72G for the next spawn.

Back
Top Bottom