What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our pilot light went out and we woke up to a 53° F house. Fortunately the heaters handled the drop alright, although the Spec did fall to the high 60s. That's what happens with small tanks, I guess. No causalities, so YEA!

The spouse has all of the parts necessary to rebuild the solenoid. That's exciting. It's taken a lot of effort to remember to turn the CO2 on and off.

yes I can see how that could be cold . we lost power about 4 hrs today glad I invested in a generator .
I keep a few of those solenoid cards avail as they tend to blow at the most inconvenient times
all in all glad your fish kept warm ,
my tanks were down about 10 min till gen kicked it best investment I made.

I just added an external moving bed filter

Attachments

• FAE6B298-6559-4716-B17A-DF1D496C6815.jpg
    FAE6B298-6559-4716-B17A-DF1D496C6815.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 40
View attachment 305829
Santa was good to me this year. I got a new Fluval LED light and some long-handle tools (scissors, tweezers, scraper, etc). Here is the tank after installing the light, a pwc, and cleaning up the plants. [emoji5]

Tank is looking beautiful and the lighting is good and bright.

Sorry about the pipefish. Are they known to be sensitive? Your a great fish mom. Don’t beat yourself up too much.

Thanks for the encouraging words, though still more than saddened. It boils down to was there anything I knew I could have done or any indication of an issue - and no there was nothing notable for me to have been aware of. The other fish are doing fine.

Only known to be sensitive if they aren't eating. It was eating well and I did offer different types of food in addition to the one it ate at the lfs, but also feed it the food it was for sure eating 2x per day. I feel disgusted about the tank situation right now to be honest. Hardly looking at the tanks right now.

It will pass and I will feel better pretty soon.

Our pilot light went out and we woke up to a 53° F house. Fortunately the heaters handled the drop alright, although the Spec did fall to the high 60s. That's what happens with small tanks, I guess. No causalities, so YEA!

The spouse has all of the parts necessary to rebuild the solenoid. That's exciting. It's taken a lot of effort to remember to turn the CO2 on and off.

Thank goodness it wasn't a real bad problem!!!

I just added an external moving bed filter

Now that is something I will watch!

~~~~

Over all just doing a few pwc this weekend.

Feeding fish and watching a couple berried PRL, in hopes there are a few babies soon!

Also PRL tank has a new out cropping of BBA!

Couple of annoying things the last couple days and a nice one.

Day before lost a little baby 2" long Spotted Raphael Cat which apparently jumped out and became a dry specimen. I even looked around on the floor to make sure I didn't drop anything, before bedtime.

This morning I was turning on the SW tanks lights and the cord caught on the back edge of the filter causing me to drop the end of it and it hit just right to cause a bad sounding noise. It cracked the top of the 6.6G SW nano Edge tank in a long "V" to the top edge.

After an inspection of the damage I saw that it didn't crack beyond the top panel and the side and front are okay for the time being. I had to take out a half gallon of water so it wouldn't leak out the top cracks.

Of course it happened as I was leaving for work! When I got home I found there was salt creep at the crack so the bubbler was causing moisture at the top still and it was making it's way out.

Have to replace the tank asap as the danger of someone bumping it or setting something on the top panel could cause a giant amount of damage if the glass gave way.

Good thing is that there are additional PRL shrimp fry sightings! Saw a couple grazing this evening!!!

This is my cool snail pic and then pic with the baby from back nearly a month ago in the tank! Didn't even notice it until I deleting bad pics with the worst focus a couple days ago!

60074-albums14700-picture71712.jpg

Can you spot the little shrimp blur in the picture?

60074-albums14700-picture71710.jpg

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

60074-albums14700-picture71711.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, got a quick shipped Aqueon QuietFlow Submersible Utility Pump AQ1700, 264-449 gph. Hoping this will help speed up pwc along with a big rolling trash can of treated water. If was a great deal at $14.84 including free shipping!!! I might need another.

Oh, got a quick shipped Aqueon QuietFlow Submersible Utility Pump AQ1700, 264-449 gph. Hoping this will help speed up pwc along with a big rolling trash can of treated water. If was a great deal at $14.84 including free shipping!!! I might need another.

I have been using a pump for my PWC. Tired of lugging buckets. I didn’t get a rolling can though. Just a long vinyl tube. I prep the water in my bathroom. Pump the water out of the tank down the shower. And then pump it back into the tank from my prepared water can.

Scored!

Got some driftwood from a 2 year old tank WOOT! Also planted my first real aquarium plant. Here's hoping the cycle starts soon. :dance:

Alittle upgrade, new stock, and cleaned, along with a 50% water change. Added some salt for the new fish and ENJOYING everything. Thinking about my next step to take. Thinking of changing my gravel out and trying a planted tank soon. Plastic plants are not my favorite. Ugh! Good for a week or 2 then nasty again. Pain it the you know what! And I have a Betta in there now. Don't want him getting hurt. IMAG3042.jpg I added some gravel to my grow out platy tankIMAG3039.jpg and went with sand in my Betta tankIMAG2869.jpg been pretty busy.

Alittle upgrade, new stock, and cleaned, along with a 50% water change. Added some salt for the new fish and ENJOYING everything. Thinking about my next step to take. Thinking of changing my gravel out and trying a planted tank soon. Plastic plants are not my favorite. Ugh! Good for a week or 2 then nasty again. Pain it the you know what! And I have a Betta in there now. Don't want him getting hurt. View attachment 305973 I added some gravel to my grow out platy tankView attachment 305974 and went with sand in my Betta tankView attachment 305975 been pretty busy.

Angellove looking great. The last pic of the sand bottom and rock work. Looks very elegant. Is that for a new setup? Possibly the planted tank?

Angellove looking great. The last pic of the sand bottom and rock work. Looks very elegant. Is that for a new setup? Possibly the planted tank?
Lol! Yeah. You are a very good guesser. [emoji57] Starting with some frogbit plants. Think he'll like them. Should be getting them soon. Maybe today... See how them do for a min. And see what else I wanta do. I still got drift wood to clean up too. It's getting a freeze treatment in Michigan -0 degree nights lol!

Lol! Yeah. You are a very good guesser. [emoji57] Starting with some frogbit plants. Think he'll like them. Should be getting them soon. Maybe today... See how them do for a min. And see what else I wanta do. I still got drift wood to clean up too. It's getting a freeze treatment in Michigan -0 degree nights lol!

Sounds like you have a vision. That great. What kind of driftwood? The temps in Miami have been getting down to the high 30's low 40's but that a great temp for me.

Well, let's see what I did. Removed the last of the aquatic plants from the tanks in my fish room and replaced them with several species of Chinese evergreens "Aglaonema". The aquatic plants just weren't able to keep the tank water as clear of nitrates as I would like. Have been experimenting with the "Ag" house plants in some tanks and they have reduced the nitrates from 40 to 10 ppm. I'm hopeful that as the plants grow, they'll reduce the need for such frequent water changes too.

B

Sounds like you have a vision. That great. What kind of driftwood? The temps in Miami have been getting down to the high 30's low 40's but that a great temp for me.
I'm not sure what kind, I gotta clean it up yet, and take a better look at it. It's died and dry, I know that. Pretty cool pieces thow. Alot of it will be going in my bigger tank. Lots of branches and kickers off a few of them. Tried to keep them bigger for that tank. That will be planted too, in time. Gotta get it down pat first. But, yeah, lots of visions. Getting my bigger tank stocked right now. And will be overstocked by the time I'm done. Castles will be out and all planted hopefully. I got 80degree weather indoors from the wood stove. And 2 degrees outdoors right now. Lol! I keep it warm enough.

BBradbury
B.

I've always kept well maintained tanks. Since reading your posts, I've adapted my system of water management to more closely mimic your system. As a result my tanks are crystal clear, the fish are more colorful, my back and shoulders are buff due to the increased lifting of water laden 5 gal. buckets, and the yard foliage is thriving. I'm currently staring at my display tank anticipating the fifty gallons I'm about to change out. My wife thinks I'm nuts. Lol.

BBradbury

B.

I've always kept well maintained tanks. Since reading your posts, I've adapted my system of water management to more closely mimic your system. As a result my tanks are crystal clear, the fish are more colorful, my back and shoulders are buff due to the increased lifting of water laden 5 gal. buckets, and the yard foliage is thriving. I'm currently staring at my display tank anticipating the fifty gallons I'm about to change out. My wife thinks I'm nuts. Lol.

Oh, I’ve given up explaining water changes.

Hello V...

There are so many species of the Aglaonema that you could have a dozen tanks and not use all of them. I keep large tanks and this plant has done wonders for the water quality. The original plants I used probably 6 or 7 years ago have gotten so large, I can't keep aquatic plants. There too much shade. The great thing about the plants is they grow according to the fish load and only require room light. The more nitrogen, the faster the growth. So, if you tend to have too many fish in a tank, just introduce the "Ag" plant and the root system will use the nitrogen faster than the bacteria colony. The bacteria is needed to use the nitrogen at night when the plants rest. These plants are so much better at water filtration than the mechanical gizmos I used to have.

B

Started setting up a 20 long I had stored away for a year or two. Picked up a piece of Malaysian driftwood on my way home from work. I was worried it'd be too big, but I don't think it's too bad. I have the stones on it now because it's a little buoyant.

If anybody has any scaping suggestions I'm all ears. Right now I'm thinking I'm going to keep it simple a just add a few easy plants.

Attachments

• IMG_0302.jpg
    IMG_0302.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 36
Started setting up a 20 long I had stored away for a year or two. Picked up a piece of Malaysian driftwood on my way home from work. I was worried it'd be too big, but I don't think it's too bad. I have the stones on it now because it's a little buoyant.

If anybody has any scaping suggestions I'm all ears. Right now I'm thinking I'm going to keep it simple a just add a few easy plants.
That looks Reeeally nice... And with a few bright green plants to set everything off will look amazing. Maybe a few more bigger light color rocks too. No matter what you do it's gonna look gorgeous. Can't wait to see more of this one!

Back
Top Bottom