What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thinking the same. Some green plants, something growing on driftwood. One red plant somewhere.
Indeed! Some red. The reineckii is nice, or flame sword, tiger lotus. Something like those. The lugwigia mini or reineckii might look good on driftwood.

I have been using a pump for my PWC. Tired of lugging buckets. I didn’t get a rolling can though. Just a long vinyl tube. I prep the water in my bathroom. Pump the water out of the tank down the shower. And then pump it back into the tank from my prepared water can.

Haven't managed to grab the trash can yet, also with online shopping sometimes there are MUCH better values on some things. Need to know which can and which size rolling ring I need.

Been considering this around a year, and most seriously probably 6-7 months, but the sick tank issue was bothering me on how to deal with the pump and a probable contaminated water change and thinking about what to do about that. Now I feel like the tank issue is coming to an end.

It seems that the back room office fish sanctuary may come to fruition in the next couple months. About a year late on getting that done too. All in the past.

Focusing on future plans, and endeavors. Not exactly a new year resolution but more of a commitment to progress. I want to enjoy what I have and do - more.

BBradbury - Your tank cleaning work with plants (Chinese Evergreens) is great! Seems a great answer for people, especially with tanks of breeding live bearers.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>><><>

Been shopping for a new to me tank for the SW. 35-50G maybe. No good options so far.

The 90G bowfront in the garage, still a bit shy of the commitment of that much saltwater. Although at the time I got it, it seemed like a great idea.:oops:

~~~~

Night before last one Angel in the 72G had a long poop which was clearish white and seemed like it could be a internal parasite problem. :nono:

Fed the last 2 nights deworming food. One more night tomorrow and I will check out if I can see any issues. I am wondering it the Discus brought it in. I can't recall adding any other fish that had not been through a round of dewormer. OR they are immune to that specific med.

I REALLY love the rolling trash can idea, that's just brilliant, it would save my back. My 29 gallon isn't even cycled yet and I am already thinking of setting up another tank - maybe 55 gal LOL. Have to say I am not impressed with this Top Fin set, I have replaced everything but the tank itself!

I REALLY love the rolling trash can idea, that's just brilliant, it would save my back. My 29 gallon isn't even cycled yet and I am already thinking of setting up another tank - maybe 55 gal LOL. Have to say I am not impressed with this Top Fin set, I have replaced everything but the tank itself!

It happens a lot with kits. But if you do not know much about equipment to keep fish what else to do, :). One more way companies can get more money out of you.

The Python or Aqueon water changers are so nice to use too. In my space I don't have a way to use one until I can figure out where to change a connector which means plumbing one in with a new sink (it just needs changing anyway) and faucet with the ability to use directly or with an adapter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thinking over moving things around.

Still need to remove the 46G tank and stand, and the QT set up to make room for the 90G. Might have help to move things on Monday.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also before, set up the new Aquaclear 110 to the 72G tank but had to cut the back spacer plastic on the lid and then needed to trace down some power cords and remove some disconnected equipment and get an open plug, and never got the water into the filter to start it up!

Will start it up.

While I was messing with the 72G noticed that the extra light I have on the tank could be the added reason for additional algae growth as the bulb is way over a year on the tank, and before that who knows as it came with the tank and I completely forgot about its age. Oopsy.

Have to think if we need the extra light if it is worth spending the money for a bulb when I could just learn how to program the special button on the Current USA Planted +.

Comets are Thriving

Hello...

Rescued some Comets from the local pet store some weeks back and have them in a 38 G tank. A bit small maybe, but they're doing great. I have a mixture of silver, orange and black and just orange. Very healthy looking fish considering the environment at the pet store. I'm a water change fanatic, which is what's required for keeping this species. They're a smaller species of Goldfish, but the tank gets a 75 percent water change weekly. This is normal for such a high waste producer. I'm also using large Chinese evergreen house plants for filtration along with a couple of dual sponge filters. The plants are growing nicely.

I have my eye on a 75 G tank. So, I may be able to move my troops to a larger home. Right now, the largest fish is two inches.

B

It happens a lot with kits. But if you do not know much about equipment to keep fish what else to do, :). One more way companies can get more money out of you.

The Python or Aqueon water changers are so nice to use too. In my space I don't have a way to use one until I can figure out where to change a connector which means plumbing one in with a new sink (it just needs changing anyway) and faucet with the ability to use directly or with an adapter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thinking over moving things around.

Still need to remove the 46G tank and stand, and the QT set up to make room for the 90G. Might have help to move things on Monday.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also before, set up the new Aquaclear 110 to the 72G tank but had to cut the back spacer plastic on the lid and then needed to trace down some power cords and remove some disconnected equipment and get an open plug, and never got the water into the filter to start it up!

Will start it up.

While I was messing with the 72G noticed that the extra light I have on the tank could be the added reason for additional algae growth as the bulb is way over a year on the tank, and before that who knows as it came with the tank and I completely forgot about its age. Oopsy.

Have to think if we need the extra light if it is worth spending the money for a bulb when I could just learn how to program the special button on the Current USA Planted +.
You are very very busy! I'm just watching my empty tank - looks pretty lol. I used the Aqueon water changer in years past but now I rent a basement apartment and it only has a bar sink. Not sure if those gadgets would fit on the smaller fixture.

You are very very busy! I'm just watching my empty tank - looks pretty lol. I used the Aqueon water changer in years past but now I rent a basement apartment and it only has a bar sink. Not sure if those gadgets would fit on the smaller fixture.

Sometimes a good hardware store could figure out a solution.

My problem is I only have bathroom faucet with no screw threads, like molded into the fixture. So no go for one of the tube water changers.

Pwc on the 12G PRL Edge tank, 5G Spec V, and the 3G Turtle bowl (not a turtle in there), moved some planted jars and containers around, moved the little Baby Bolbitis on a rock to to the Spec V and the baby sized ones in the tissue culture cup added some Aamazonia substrate and pulled them up to sort of sit on top of the substrate.

Had a tent style bag of DHG in a tissue culture from the store and it was growing great - for months, until it must have used up its nutrients.

Then about 2/3 died off so I rescued what was left, first trying a jar with Shrimp stratum, tiny little fired balls but the plants popped right up to the top of the water. Then tried the Amazonia. Stuffed it back into the substrate and all is now well, it stayed put.

Just picture this bag maybe even 3/4 tannish brown. This is a old pic from beginning of November
60074-albums13946-picture71594.jpg

The plastic cup now has "Dwarf" HG which has blades like turf all the way to the top. Added water back up to the near top.

The cylinder vase in back is now 1/4 DWH, 1/4 Moss, 1/4 some strange light green moss pest plant, topped with the off loaded pile of Wisteria from the Spec V floating at the top. Big mess atm. Looks kind of cool though.

Moved the 12G stand and tank over to clear off the old 6.6G nano since it is empty and taking up space. Cleaned behind it and found many things tangled into the mess of wires and tubes. Removed all the items which were hiding behind the cabinet which were not being used any more.

Added water for evap. to the other tanks.

Last edited:
PWC’s all the way around today. Rinsed intake sponges. Water tests were all good too.

Nursery tank is STILL having issues. Any invert added is usually dead in 2 days. I have a few snails that are surviving but most don’t. I suspect I put in way to many root tabs. My copper tests are fine but something lethal is in there. Moral of the story is if you have a tank that’s fine, leave it alone. Changing the substrate just set off a series of events I am still trying to recover from. I added some Neons and Honey Gourami since seeing it empty was depressing.

All the other tanks are great.

Cleaned out the grindal worm cultures a bit too.

First time with a live plant. This one with my minnows & Borneo's & CAE. these plants may not fully work out but next year when but a house they getting moved into a tank 5 times bigger there will be a mini forest ?. Or some plants with the fancy goldfish which I give a month until they eat them, hopefully they won't put the Java fern out front of the others so they have a chance haha

Attachments

• MVIMG_20180106_231932.jpg
    MVIMG_20180106_231932.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 42
I did a pwc on my 29g, and stole some plants for the 20 long. It looks a lot nicer with a little green in there. It's no masterpiece, but I'm really liking how it's coming along. I think it will look really nice once the plants grow out a little bit. It will be nice when the driftwood isn't buoyant anymore and I can take those rocks off of it.... lol

Attachments

• IMG_0306.jpg
    IMG_0306.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 45
I did a pwc on my 29g, and stole some plants for the 20 long. It looks a lot nicer with a little green in there. It's no masterpiece, but I'm really liking how it's coming along. I think it will look really nice once the plants grow out a little bit. It will be nice when the driftwood isn't buoyant anymore and I can take those rocks off of it.... lol

Very nice. That’s a great piece of wood.

There's an adapter. Our faucets are small, too.

Tank Filtration

Hello again...

Finished changing the filtration on the rest of my tanks to an all sponge filter set up. Used to use internal filters and HOBs. There was quite a bit of cleaning involved and removing and replacing the used up filter media when you have seven larger tanks. Went to dual sponge filters and use higher end air pumps to run them. The sponges are so much easier to clean and I never need to buy replacement media. Have large Chinese evergreens to keep the tank water essentially nitrogen free. The bacteria in the sponges uses the dissolved nitrogen at night when the plants rest and keep the water changes to roughly 60 percent every two weeks.

So much less labor intensive.

B

Did a partial water change, vacuumed gravel and then made a mess cleaning my hob filter. It has been having a diminished flo so I unplugged it and took it out of the tank. In the process , I spilled some algae in the tank from the filter. I used a net to dip out big algea pieces and then cleaned out a ton of algea out of the filter, but the filters back in and restarted it and the water flow is much better.

Remember when I had 70+ shrimp in there. Those were the good times. Hoping it happens again.

You had a wonderful colony and it will likely come back. I have suffered some huge set backs and stubborn as I am it keep plugging away and have good times too. Hoping for you too and back to a booming tank.

Yes, agree, great wood piece. I had to keep rocks on a couple of mine for ages and the Bolbitis Fern grew right over the top of them.

You can see one long stone behind the air bubbler - old tank set up 4/15
60074-albums13090-picture68690.jpg

Thought I was going to get a tank moved but that did not happen, lots of other stuff done, maybe next week. Got the spare room cleared out, now need new flooring, can't quite decide yet. Thinking something water proof/resistant and am considering stained concrete. Then can get a couple small tanks moved in there too but likely will be a little while, have one more room to clean up and bye, bye old yucky carpet.

Pwc for the SW tanks still to come for the evening activity.

Fed frozen defrosted food variety -Cyclops, Coral food mainly phytoplankton and Spirulina, and Mysis shrimp and Brine shrimp with Spirulina. Yum!

Yesterday saw at least 4 berried female PRL shrimp. The one which looks most likely to have babies first is a lower quality shrimp, almost clear middle shell. I will see if I can load the pic/s.

Also saw the little Thai Crab and wondering about him. He pretty much sat in one spot for awhile, it is where the sun comes in so wondering if there is a little additional food in there in the substrate. Added in a Wisteria, floating one, in case the Thai Micro Crab wanted to hang in the roots. The pest Duckweed doesn't have enough root for it to hide in.

~~~

Haven't seen any poop from the Angels in the 72G to guess if it looks normal after the dewormer treatment. Fish look pretty good though at the moment. It SEEMS like the 2 largest Angels are getting bigger. Maybe the frozen foods?!? They are over 2.5 years old so one wouldn't think they would really be getting larger.

~~~

New jar of mostly dead DHG is clear today and I turned it a little more of a corner angle to get sun going in on both sides.

Back to deciding about the 90G - SW or FW question - hah wonder if I will ever be able to answer that, it has been 5 months sitting in the garage.

Add in edit: Added an entire sliced apple to the 6 bottles of Vinegar Eels, added water for evap, and didn't have the vinegar I usually use to add back more. Maybe this next shopping trip.

Last edited:
I did a water change on my 45 gallon today, and cleaned the intake sponge to the sun sun canister (oof, and boy did it need it!) I pulled all the floaters out and scooped as much of the duckweed as I could out so now there’s a lot more light getting down into the tank which should be a good thing :) the crystalwort and wisteria floaters still cover 2/3 of the surface, but that duckweed fills in the gaps enough to obscure it!

Back
Top Bottom