What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah!

I snapped a few pics and after a long time of getting them to load, (connectivity issues) here they are.

A huge departure from my usual colors. Yes the tank and stand do not match because they don't go together, but they are together atm.

60074-albums14792-picture72295.jpg

60074-albums14792-picture72299.jpg

60074-albums14792-picture72298.jpg

60074-albums14792-picture72297.jpg

60074-albums14792-picture72300.jpg

Love all the warmness with the plants, I literally placed these plants and rocks and dumped in the water and never got back yet to fixing anything but actually like how it fell in. Still needing to pull up more of the little beach pebbles they got covered up in sand!

I have been considering buying this tank in white and I like it with this stand so am considering it. This is one of my favorite tanks I have had over the years. It is hard to find, and more expensive than it used to be. :rolleyes:

So...

The scrutiny of how many tanks I have (or want) is crushing lol! Very hard to say I just need to upgrade..... or change something..... :eek:

CAS meeting night and far away lfs fun

Squeezed out a smidgen of time to swing by 2 lfs I do not get to very often.

Will not mention names.

One is a good shop with a decent turnover and I know the owner (not personally, just from dealings at the store for umpteen years) passionate about the fish.

Lots of things everyone buys, but a nice amount of little things you do not always see.

Got 6 Kuhli Loaches for $15.

Owner said he would do a buy 10 get 2 free for the future as they were out of Neon Green Kubotai won't have room (to house in the tanks as they are already planned orders until January. Then suggested he could get them a bit sooner. So far just 50 cents cheaper than the other lowest price place around that would order them for me. 3.49.

They had some pretty Endlers and they were $2 each. Got 6 males.

Then the other shop the "kid" doing something in the tanks told me that I do not really need to QT the fish as they are pretty healthy and if they see any issues they mark the tanks for observation...

Same place 3 fish killed off a near entire tank of fish.... (like 5 years ago).

Got 2 pair of really pretty Guppies. AND they definitely went to QT!!!

CAS meeting I picked up 6 Endlers, I think they are mixed.

And a large but not tip top shape Amazon Sword over 18" tall for $8.

Big bag of Hornwort, the stuff I can not really grow / dies off on me almost every time. $4 maybe

Big bag of average looking Italian Val, leaves a bit messy looking but nice roots and runners. I think was $5.

A 16oz deli container of great looking "moss with shrimp". Unknown type shrimp but Neos, and were super small, couldn't actually even see any shrimp till I got them home and put them into the bigger container.

And then I saw what were the same kind as my first ever Cherry shrimp. Talk about taking a walk down memory lane.

Shrimps, some clearish, some pinkish and red, and some grey and blue grey. Basically cross bred Neo multicolor mutt shrimp. <3 I love the (dusty grey) blue ones!!!

These are super tiny though right now, one was literally a moving spec. Only about 10 tiny shrimp. One Rili color was dead. Big moss gob though and for $4.00 totally worth the walk down memory lane.

I think these guys are going to get a little planted jar to live in. Have been thinking of doing some maintenance on my 3G planted bowl which is a massive jar completely filled with moss and dhg. And a tiny pest bladderwort so I can't use anything from there anywhere else than the planted jar as to not get any cross contamination.

It is a little cute, but it's a pest plant... And a (micro organism) carnivorous plant family member.

The plant I really am excited to use is a tissue culture of Hydrocoytle Japan (dwarf Pennywort) I will be placing a little start of it in several places, before and after I get it gets acclimated to water. And also in an above water use or 2.

Not positive how many starts are in there hopefully at least about 10. Paid $10.00.

I love this plant and have had varying success in the attempts to grow it. But it does not grow like a weed for me unfortunately. (2 members at club mentioned to me, it is like a weed - nope).

Got to see a show and tell slide show for 6 CAS members' tanks / fish rooms at CAS meeting.

Last edited:
Been cleaning the lids, tops, glass and sides and edges of the fish tanks.

Added some Epsom salts to the QT tank as the Guppies are panting/breathing fast and one fish is looking sad. I plan to remove the heater and keep tabs on the temp.

Added some Hornwort to the tank for cover and hopes of comfort to the fish.

Added ES to the 3 other tanks of fish.

Replanted some plants in the Imported Thai Betta cube. The old light was replaced and the light needy plant was now on the wrong side of the tank from the light.

Ordering some substrate ferts, emailed my previous source, 2nd time in a year, and no response.

Also ordering some calcium and to boost the pH in the 72G. It is appx 6.4 and a little low for some of the fish.

Little tissue culture cup upgrade.

Just moved
60074-albums13946-picture72301.jpg

About 6 hours later starting to stretch out of its previous shape whilst in the little cup which is sitting on the top...
60074-albums13946-picture72302.jpg

Yesterday checked chems... Nitrates were a tad high... Performed 50% pwc. Removed and cleaned the ornaments, gotta keep those colors bright. Trimmed some the taller plants and replanted them in the substrate.

Also, tooked all but one of two month old Mollies to the lfs. Those little guys and gals are quick and full of energy. So in addition to the one remaining, I have 14 other Molly fries.

Adjusted the heaters about 3 degrees lower to 77°F.

Today one of the Glofish Tetras passed beyond the great barrier reef. No visible signs of cause. Looks like it simply died in its sleep.

Pwc day.

Also maybe have fixed my wi/fi issues - back in the game!

Been fighting low pH in a 3 tanks which make some fish stressed. I have one Odessa Barb trying to heal a wound - saw a tiny bit of improvement after adding Espom salts for healing and help with stabilizing the water / pH and some calcium.

Right now the tap water is coming out about 7.5 which is higher than usual, but basically 0 KH and 25-33 TDS, we need minerals!

It has been stressing the Guppies way out too.

The Guppies and Endlers picked up last week seemed to be iffy on survival are looking better, (and Kuhlis).

Never saw any dead Kuhli bodies yet but they hide under the leaf litter and rocks and plants. Will be looking when doing the water change.

I have a request in with the super strong helper to come over for lifting up the 80G tank - fingers still crossed for today.

My light remote is not working for the Current USA tank light so it is stuck on full spectrum bright and I have to unplug and plug in for off and on. No adjusting it to blue light or low light. So will need to decide about replacing that too in the near future.

The ~45+ group of Guppy Fry are still growing and only saw one which looked a bit off shape body so far. (y)

If I can get the big fish moved over to the 80G I will have plenty of room for the babies in the 72G tank. They will be okay for another week or 2 but they will need more room for grow out.

Also thinking of doing a deworming. Haven't been doing them on the new fish the last 6 months as the flakes long expired.

Going to check the lfs for sales tomorrow, still looking for Pygmy Cories and Neon Green Rasboras aka Green Kubotai and Green Neon Tetras, and Chili Rasboras to boost the numbers in the groups.

Last edited:
Been a grueling week or two.

Ended up unexpectedly working my weekend and I am beat. Never got the water changes finished.

Have a sick fish and just got some medication today.

Plus two packs of frozen food, Community food, and Spirulina Brine Shrimp.

Made a large online order for a 2.2lb container Kent's Marine superbuffer dKH for like 10.50!
2 larger containers of leaf zone for the price of one.
Some chunky coco fiber barky type stuff 75% off.
Thrive substrate tabs 60ct which I have never tried before. But really need.

4 cuttlebones for the tanks.

Also planning to order a new small light for my tank.

A couple days back added 2 timers for lights on the tanks, found the other two timers I had were solely for vacation lamps goes on and off randomly 2 times a day, lol. NOT ideal for my uses for fish tanks!

Will need a couple more timers to make my life a lot easier. Not all tanks have the location to share a timer. At one time I enjoyed turning the lights on and of myself and right now, just too tired and not enough time to "enjoy" that.

Lately have been finding that the large (46G SW) tank is not quite ideal. Maybe need a nano SW again or just change it up. NOT sure yet, but it isn't making me happy. I really like my fish though but the rest - meh.

Soooooo hoping to get that 80G tank running in the next few days.

I managed to scrape 10 minutes together while my wife watched the baby to pull some algae out of the two big tanks, as well as some old dead leaves. Stuffed some java ferns and Anubias back into crevices where the plecos had knocked them out from.

I’ve been thinking lately about replacing the 6g Edge tank with something a little bigger, that would be able to keep more than the few ember tetras that’s in the edge right now. The dresser would hold something like a 20g tall or maybe a 15g that’s got the same footprint. Basically I’d put the old stingray light that’s on the edge over the new tank and transfer everything in the edge over, and either keep using the same filter or get a cheap internal filter maybe. The dresser has a 29”x17” top which would be a really nice footprint for a custom tank really but that’s probably a dream for another time with more money (and tools in my garage if I wanted to start cutting acrylic!)

Did the pwc on the 72G.

Getting ready to get the 80G tank up.

Getting ready for the Adult male guppies to go into the 72G.

Did ph tests and the water for the Pencil fish and WCMM and Chilis is too low, to add right away, so will do a pwc there and it will make the water more similar to the 72G.

Tap water is around 7.5. And Nano fish 12G is 6.4

Just got a new fish food which the fish DO seem to really love. I am allergic to Blood worms and Black worms, so I do not use them to feed.

But recently found that Hikari has a food which looks a little like short worms and they fall slowly in the water - they came in mail yesterday! The fish love them The Congo Tetras could gulp them up easily and the Guppiues and Endlers could grab them and keep nomming on them!

Cories and Clown Loaches are cleaning up the ones that made it to the bottom. Looks like a huge hit! Also threw a few into the SW and they snapped them up quickly!

SW light won't stay on when I plug it in - flashes like it's going on but shuts off- :/

Rinsed off the river stones in hopes of getting that ready for the installation.

Disappointingly confirmed that the giant Cypress knees DW bobs like a cork in the plastic kid pool outside found outside behind the shed, and the others mostly are floating too since they haven't been in the water for a couple months. Soaking them now hoping they will suck up a little water. Missed opportunity to have been soaking it for the last few weeks :( .

Added more plant ferts to all the tanks.

After checking the SW pH, found it was a little low and added in some Calcium.

Need to check the pH in the other Guppy Endler QT2 tank and see if they can get moved over to 72G today too!

Plans are coming together. Probably more to report later tonight. Need to get the fert tabs inserted too and see some plants do some good growing! Will likely get a before and after set of pics to see how much better a little love and ferts make on their leaves/growth.

This was really interesting, informational and inspirational

How incredible it is to see how high quality the work of this man, and the other talented masters!

2017 this man won 3 competitions, quite stunning all!

Had to do another 60% pwc on the 72G as somehow I miss measured the Calcium and ended up with a higher pH than expected. It is around 8 now so I am hoping a few hours it will reduce some. Trimmed a few leaves and took the opportunity to add maybe 20 root caps! While taking my break saw this above.

A couple of questions for ya Autumn
1) whats the food?
2) what variety of pencils do you have?

A couple of questions for ya Autumn
1) whats the food?
2) what variety of pencils do you have?

Yeah, forgot that detail!
1) Hikari Vibra Bites

side note: I squished them a little for the Guppies and Neons

2) Nannostomus Marginatus 7 now because of the baby!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lastly had big issues with the 72G and had to do another 60% pwc and then later, a FX-5 canister filter clean out as well because the mis-measuring of the Calcium.

After the changes and waiting - the pH is appx. 7.5 or 7.6 depending on the light so things are much better.

The canister filter was dirty and reduced flow because of a bag of media I had in the top.

So far the fish are still alive! Too bad I spent nearly the entire day on this!

Caught up the other pwc's.

My one very sick fish passed.

One old Guppy died after a Mystery snail passed in the Wine Glass causing a spike. Had to do a extra large water change there and cleaned the sponge filter as well since I was in to my elbows.

Also turned up it's bubbler a bit higher.

In the 12G Fry (QT1) there were soooo many baby Guppies trying to get in my pwc water removing cup, I just had to turn up the flow on the HOB and put the cup under the out flow to fill to keep them from getting in the dumping out water.

Took longer than a regular pwc but faster than looking in every cup and trying to make sure a baby Guppy wasn't in there!

Did a 40% on the 12G.

1.5 gallon on the Imported Thai Betta 6.6G Cube.

2G on the Spec V QT2 for the most recent Guppies. Lost my favorite of the 2 females in that tank. She was a grass or lace Guppy female. Might need to treat the tank. Not sure what is up. They seemed to be doing better. The other female is looking a little sad. This pretty much confirms I will not buy fish from that store again.

The Wine Glass tank and the 12G Guppy Fry were over run with Dwarf Lettuce and lately the Duckweed had been getting up in quantity again. Removed half at least from both tanks.

Found one mutt shrimp in with the Imported Thai Betta Phoenix. Unknown if there were any others there is so much moss and plants and leaves in there, there are lots of places to hide!

46G SW and 72G and 12G Edge are doing good.

Redid my 50gal
Here is what it looked like before. Plants put in randomly and overgrown.
gxWXt5A.jpg

All of the plants out
FDuDT1K.jpg

Here is the new layout. I was able to add a few more rocks and more ground space now.
ufeng4H.jpg

Some of the inhabitants enjoying the tank
TSrN80h.jpg

0pYCr3e.jpg

dx7n2Li.jpg

I love the algae on this snail, such a nice green.
yMiD4nz.jpg

p8ReYEE.jpg

Been a minute since my last post... Simply enjoying the daily views... This morning at feeding time discovered more Molly fry... I'm not sure what do to those very prolific Molly mommies... I this morning I netted 16 fry... The third batch... To go along with the second batch of 14... I'm being overrun!!! When they get to be about 8 weeks old I'll look for new homes for them...

Did water changes yesterday, today I went and looked at both big box pet stores and both LFS's to fly the flag. Been contemplating projects, so sometimes it's good to look at stuff in person rather than just try to visualize it over the internet. One of the LFS's had a big batch of hillstream loaches, which I'm seriously contemplating. Pricey, but I'm about ready to try for something new.

Spawning mop = green dangling thing If I am correct...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Checked on the little shrimp and other inhabitants of the Wine Glass. Seems the shrimp are picking away at things. The MTS are gobbling on something in a clump at the bottom. Maybe some lost shrimp. There are 4 Pygmy Cories, the Galaxy Betta and one Cobra Endler. Not totally sure.

Running stable on the other tanks excepting the shaky QT2. No further losses today in QT. I saw a few of the Kuhli Loaches wiggling around.

Reducing the amount of food per feeding.

The fry in QT1 are getting larger and most can eat the tiny Hikari Guppy food. The Fry food First Bites is sooooo fine.

Here is the new layout. I was able to add a few more rocks and more ground space now.
ufeng4H.jpg

Some of the inhabitants enjoying the tank
TSrN80h.jpg

0pYCr3e.jpg

dx7n2Li.jpg

I love the algae on this snail, such a nice green.
yMiD4nz.jpg

p8ReYEE.jpg

This is looking so bright and colorful - like a kaleidoscope of colors! It looks really great! Your plants are looking pretty darn good.

Cleaned up the filter intake and noticed two fish are missing, a Golden Panda Molly and a Dwarf Gourami. No body parts any where in the aquatic realm... Located and captured two more Molly fry at bottom of tank.

Back
Top Bottom