What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That looks like it should be a good light. And I have that screen on my IM tank and it's solid.

Does it have the acrylic clips which hold it on the side of the tank. You need at least a set of 4, measure / look up the mm of the glass to order correct size. As this fits inside of the open top, rimless tank.

Hello:)) I'm glad to hear that it is nice kit that I can depend on. It has break away corners....I've heard that the mesh that comes with it is flimsy? Is that true?

Thank you,

Steph:thanks:

Hello:)) I'm glad to hear that it is nice kit that I can depend on. It has break away corners....I've heard that the mesh that comes with it is flimsy? Is that true?

Thank you,

Steph:thanks:

Yes, in terms of getting saggy. Very true, but mine is probably ancient. The net is strong and I had to cut mine (tried to rip it a little, but had to use a scissor) so I could pop DW out of the top. So in my old, at least maybe 5+ year old tank and net, that strength is okay. Also new versions might be as strong

My tank is second hand and it is older-ish now and the screen sat outside for a year under my deck. So I wasn't expecting much :whistle:

The net installing skills would also be representative of the your end result. My net is the smaller size squares, but the frame seems bomb proof. Since I didn't install the net, I am not sure but assume it is like a window screen.

Yes, in terms of getting saggy. Very true, but mine is probably ancient. The net is strong and I had to cut mine (tried to rip it a little, but had to use a scissor) so I could pop DW out of the top. So in my old, at least maybe 5+ year old tank and net, that strength is okay. Also new versions might be as strong

My tank is second hand and it is older-ish now and the screen sat outside for a year under my deck. So I wasn't expecting much :whistle:

The net installing skills would also be representative of the your end result. My net is the smaller size squares, but the frame seems bomb proof. Since I didn't install the net, I am not sure but assume it is like a window screen.

Hello Autumn thank you so very much for the information!! One less thing that I have to worry about:)) You're right It does seems to be like putting in a DIY window screen! Thanks again:thanks:

Over the days a few smaller water changes and lots of picking out algae from a couple of the tanks.

A few days back ended up deciding to treat the DW in the 6.6G PRL shrimp tank with hydrogen peroxide, common pharmacy /home strength (maybe 3% what ever the common one is).

Picked out all the big tufts of algae off the plants, and prefilter.

Decided the worst of it was from the DW "log" which had a huge Java Fern on it.

Gathered a tooth brush and cup for some peroxide water. I pulled it out of the tank. After removing a couple snails and a few larger pieces of algae tufts, I just poured some H2O2, has a squirting hole in the top.

Then scrubbed it as much as possible all around the would surface away from the end which has moss growing on it and the roots of the Java fern.

Then rinsed and did it again and a 3rd time on a couple spots where it had been worse. Of course super rinses, and brushed only and rinsed yet a couple more times and put it back.

Then did some quick vac'ing and refilling with 2 -16 ounce cups at a time to keep the water level above the intake for the filter. Taking plenty of time with a few minutes in between, in hopes it would be an easier transition on the shrimp.

Ended up doing appx 4-4.5G total. Had earlier in the day done a regular pwc after pH testing and finding it a little bit low.

Changed the fine filter pad and prefilter sponge too.

So everything cleared out after leaving the prefilter sponge off for a half hour or so.

I removed a huge number of plants which made it super hard to see into the tank.

I took pics but still can't load pics atm.

Numerous small Windelov Java Fern babies and small plants as well as regular Java Fern little start plants. Several regular Micro Anubias Nana, and one called Chilli which has a bit pointier /narrow leaf shape. All the pics are so different based upon light and whatever someone named it. The regular tiny ones were from a hobbyist seller probably 7 years ago, before anyone was selling them commercially any where I saw. What an adorable plant. Always has been a very special plant to me with the love of shrimp and nano tanks :)

The once Ich covered momma Endler is in the 5G Spec V looking fine, seems a bit shy. Nearing birthing time :eek: have so many new fry again. She is just with snails, no fish.

The other Endler females in the 80G are looking okay in the big tank, hoping the suspect ones healed rather than dying. Never saw bodies but it is a big tank.

Got to watch the big Clown fish chasing each other around after I shut their tank lights off tonight, they were cleaning up the leftover food from the bedtime feeding. Very much enjoying actually seeing the fish in that tank, lol.

Need to plant the Amazon swords in that tank and get them some root caps, they are looking like I better hurry up! Also need to put a couple caps in the wine glass tank for the Tri color Lily which just looks bronze right now.

The tanks are stressing me out. I will need to work to find a way to get the Endlers down to a manageable level

Especially in the 30G Waterbox. Where they rush over and turn the corner of the tank to a boiling nature adventure. Oh and removed a big huge bunch of Hornwort again, probably a 1 gallon pitcher.

And need to learn how to program my Ecoxotic lights. Hopefully soon. It would be great if all the tank lights went on and off by themselves :)

I REALLY wish I was closer or that shipping was available I'd take all the Endlers you wanted rid of.

I REALLY wish I was closer or that shipping was available I'd take all the Endlers you wanted rid of.

Are you in the US? If so PM me! The Colorado Aquarium Society is creating a buy sell trade for members and probably some one will be interested in the next weeks for pick up because of the heat being so bad. But guess what, I will likely have more!

Been doing pwc every few days, feeding some frozen foods to all the tanks so needing the extra pwc's.

Getting ready to order a pile more clean up crew and some macro Algae for the SW tank. Hoping to love it more while I scout out a better display tank set up.

Just switched the SW heater as for some reason it doesn't seem to be doing a good enough job.

Spent some time discussing possible water change and auto top off ideas with a hobbyist friend who might be able to help me think up a good solution. I always have ideas about how it could work but having the actual in practice answer often slips past, and then it just doesn't get done.

It would save me several hours of drudgery and mess /clean up weekly.

I actually like doing pwc's on the little nano tanks.

Been looking at info on aquarium plant additions. Planning a little towards the tank changes.

Cleaning out string algae routinely now from the 30G.

Looking into a new UV light to use periodically / on a few tanks. Never had one and I would like it to be strong enough to kill parasites. Plus and minus in my opinion in using one. Still learning a bit more. Hoping to do a big gravel vac on the front of the 72G tomorrow to start the prep for switching over to sand on 1/2 or more of it in the front.

50% water change big tank, pwc little tank.
Found 2 strong survivor fry, after one of our Mollys had BABIES!! We saved three and put them in our mini tank...than we found 2 more in BIG tank! #survivors! We will put them back in big tank once they are a bit bigger!

Last edited:
50% water change big tank, pwc little tank.
Found 2 strong survivor fry, after one of our Mollys had BABIES!! We saved three and put them in our mini tank...than we found 2 more in BIG tank! #survivors! We will put them back in big tank once they are a bit bigger!

Love the survivors! You know they are the toughest!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Just went and bought a 55W Jebao UV Sterilizer and it will arrive tomorrow for $95 ish plus tax

Mostly small Watt ones can get rid of green water, but I want to kill pathogens / parasites.

Some types/ brands have other good ratings for $200-600. But THAT isn't in my budget. This was a huge splurge. I am hoping to eradicate rather than manage it. Have had the one fish with Ich and so it is around, and the algae.

Planning to use this machine on the tanks with algae also (except not the 6.6g :rolleyes: )

Pwc's are coming along.

Needing to get even more pods for the SW tank. Still don't see enough of them scooting around.

Have a surprise coming in the next week or 2. Will be kept a surprise for awhile. :whistle:

A few days past now. My 55W UV sterilizer arrived and it looks like a submarine. I would say aircraft carrier but that isn't the right shape! ~2 feet long!

So I will probably send it back. Just too big. Maybe I just need to have zero illness or algae.

A few more water changes.

Picked up more water for the SW tank, need to do another pwc. Been trying to get the water in tip top shape. Also finally can see a bunch of pods swimming and in the rocks.

I bought a 3D printed pod hotel to support local art /enterprise and possible pods growth. Chump!

Anyway I will add that to the SW tank tomorrow with some pods seeded into it, lol.

The CurrentUSA light on my SW tank doesn't always respond to the remote control. Again, now in 2 days it didn't turn on so I will need to use a different light tomorrow. Was not really wanting to buy one because of switching tanks when the right one comes along. But I might.

Spent a good amount of time reading up on auto top off units and some about tanks. Shopping for a used tank and possible extra stuff I might "need". :brows:

Got a couple more algae eating snails for my SW tank. Also trying (as I frequently do) to decide which of my supplies and tanks to let go of.

Signed up to participate in a local buy sell trade new from CAS. Waiting to get the approval from admin.

Then I may be able to sell off some things which, although I do not really WANT to get rid of, they take up room which I could maintain a less full, (dare say) cluttered aquarium storage space and might be able to find the stuff I actually need to use.

Will say though it is great to have a variety of air pumps, filters and heaters and lights when one goes out at midnight. Been trying to streamline to same brands so things are more so interchangeable.

I was doing filter maintenance and discovered that, indeed, Seachem has either changed the grille size of the purigen 100ml bags, or they've made the grains smaller. No rips or tears, but Purigen was falling out in my hands. I've switched to Chemi-Pure Green. Trying new products is always fun.

I was doing filter maintenance and discovered that, indeed, Seachem has either changed the grille size of the purigen 100ml bags, or they've made the grains smaller. No rips or tears, but Purigen was falling out in my hands. I've switched to Chemi-Pure Green. Trying new products is always fun.

Keep us posted if you notice a difference.

A few pics finally got to be able to load from the temporary lap top!

He's much more blue green shadow at the edges of his tail, especially but also fins.

Day he came home
60074-albums14829-picture72663.jpg

It was so odd that the shelves were near empty of Bettas and this one was right in front looking so sad and like he could get fin rot if he didn't get out of the cup!!!

60074-albums14829-picture72666.jpg

The attitude when he thinks he needs an extra snack!

60074-albums14829-picture72664.jpg

How could this beautiful guy have been one of the last ones left!???

Last edited:
Gorgeous fish
A few pics finally got to be able to load from the temporary lap top!

He's much more blue green shadow at the edges of his tail, especially but also fins.

Day he came home
60074-albums14829-picture72663.jpg

It was so odd that the shelves were near empty of Bettas and this one was right in front looking so sad and like he could get fin rot if he didn't get out of the cup!!!

60074-albums14829-picture72666.jpg

The attitude when he thinks he needs an extra snack!

60074-albums14829-picture72664.jpg

How could this beautiful guy have been one of the last ones left!???

Last edited by a moderator:
Exhausted!

Busy fish day

Did pwc's

PRL 1/4G
12G Golden Bee / Pencilfish 3G
80G Congo's Lazy River 40G
30G Waterbox Guppy Grow out 20G and vac removed a bit of hair algae

Then the biggie...
72G did 45G pwc plus ++

Had to move 2 huge DW covered in Java Fern because I couldn't get the fish out I was trying to capture. Put them into the 80G for temporarily.

Moved the other giant DW covered in a big Coffeefolia Anubias because the Yoyo loaches are like huge fat Kuhli loaches - able to squeeze into any old tiny gap.

This activity kicked up a bunch of stuff getting out the Yoyo Loaches and the Cuckoo / Dwarf Petricola Syndodontis out.

Right before all this I was testing nitrates and then nitrates in the 72G looked less than ideal, probably 60ish before the pwc's.

So I went ahead and did another pwc of 35G

And also did about 20G in the middle while draining the tank.

AND cleaned out the FX-5 filter, so looks like about 100G!!! :dance:

Nitrates are 10 which is like a miracle. :onfire:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Although I hadn't initially wanted to move the Yoyo Loaches out of the 72G, I would like to have some snails and the Yoyos are also snail killers!

They are swimming around like maniacs in the 80G for the past half hour.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Before all that I fed all the FW & SW fish a bunch of defrosted Brine shrimp and Marine Cuisine.

Half of the 72G is basically empty. I grabbed a short double hollow log DW out from my stash, but it was so dry it was floating.

I was going to vac the front of the 72G but only got a little way before DW chips from the Plecos rasping clogged up the small Fluval Edge vac.

Will need to hunt around for the bigger vac.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Overall the hair algae is much better with less light and more pwc's. Not magically disappeared though.

Got a buyer for about 35 Guppies and Endlers including fry!

Good fish day so far!

Last edited:
Today, i took this pictureView attachment 317701

Tank looks really nice!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
:cool:

Been doing the every other day 30 ounce pwc on the PRL tank, plus adding
30 ounces back for evap in RO water.

Will be checking the parameters and see what it looks like after using this for a couple weeks.

Probably getting a bucket of male Guppies over to the fish store this afternoon. :dance:(y)

Also arranging to pick up some different colors of male Guppies from a couple people with excess fish, Blue Moscow and orange and yellow (possibly Albino).

Still waiting for a guy to get back to me about 20-30 Cardinal Tetras. Appx 3.00 each and all dewormed several times and medically treated so hoping for some wonderful fish.

Back
Top Bottom