Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-09-2015, 10:12 PM   #7281
Aquarium Advice Activist

General water change on tanks. I also went and picked my newest fish up a little present they will be going from a 55 to a 150Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420855927.537889.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	260561Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420855937.375438.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	260562

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 01-09-2015, 10:35 PM   #7282
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Spent a big bunch of time slowly lowering the temperature in my 5g, think I'm finally done with that.

This little treasure was delivered today, going to be a low tech yellow shrimp setup on my desk.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jan 09 2015 yellows.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	260573  

Old 01-10-2015, 01:32 AM   #7283
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheresaM View Post
This little treasure was delivered today, going to be a low tech yellow shrimp setup on my desk.
Very nice tank, can't wait to see pics.

Got the Hatchet fish moved to my tank the 72G with the 2 Angel pairs. Instead of sending them home with DD because I forgot she never bought a real lid for her tank and she just used some plastic wrap until she gets some extra cash. The Angels are harassing them. I moved a big Anubias that normally floats until I decide to get into the tnak and anchor it back down, and a couple hand fulls of misc. Crypts, Vals and moss which has just been hanging out in the QT growing out. Snagged them onto a driftwood branch that is sticking up through the top of the water to give some protection and break up line of sight. So now there is an ugly buffer.

Friend of DD has an Fluval Edge tank or 2 he said he didn't want anymore and would sell them for $10 (DD wants one), as he worked in a pet store and bought them for either 10 or $20 - I am drooling over them. Not that I don't already have one and a glass only which I haven't decided what to do with. But it would make my tank cleaning easier to move everything over to new substrate and lighting with a complete new (to me) tank... I have been wanting to do a rescape anyway.

Kind of considering, if I do get it, to move the Blue Velvets to that tank for the bedroom and change the 12G Edge to a nano fish focus like I was thinking before.

Also decided I need to think about the fish tanks to get my mind off other things. Though wishing there was more time available for just doing fun stuff, like playing with fish tanks and shrimp.

Just noticed the pair of Angels Koi and Silver striped, which had babies before, are fussing with the leaves of the Anubias (the big one I just moved), and that is where they laid the eggs before. Time to investigate further.

Edit: Yup a bunch of eggs on the leaf, nicely colored up and I am SOOOO tempted to save them...

New to FW fish? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ork&page=rules

FW - 72G / 12G Edge/11.4G Mr Aqua Rimless
SW - Nano 6.6G Edge - Plus a FW 46G bowfront (QT)
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 03:22 AM   #7284
Aquarium Advice Addict

I got my 2 new Crypts in the mail today. They are battered and I expect melt, but they have great roots and should come back. Pulled out some snails.

Did a 50% water change. Added my ferts and excel. Corys are happy. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420874540.544715.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	260606

Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:54 PM   #7285
Aquarium Advice Freak

Since I'm having carpal tunnel surgery tomorrow, I did a huge water change and an extra thorough cleaning. Had intentions of stripping down the 10 gallon and changing out the substrate, but life happened and it'll have to wait til I get the use of my hand back. Also got the hubby to reluctantly agree to assisting with water changes during my recovery...he doesn't like the hobby and doesn't appreciate my tanks, so I consider that a huge win.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:10 PM   #7286
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I finished cycling my 5 gallon!

I added 2ppm more of ammonia to keep the bacteria alive until I get the ADFs and RCS!
I really want to add my Betta now... but I know that it would be easier to introduce them peacefully if I add the ADF/RCS first and betta later.
RCS will be coming on Thursday and will go shopping for ADF after the food is delivered. Very excited.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:28 PM   #7287
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haileyjade View Post
Since I'm having carpal tunnel surgery tomorrow, I did a huge water change and an extra thorough cleaning. Had intentions of stripping down the 10 gallon and changing out the substrate, but life happened and it'll have to wait til I get the use of my hand back. Also got the hubby to reluctantly agree to assisting with water changes during my recovery...he doesn't like the hobby and doesn't appreciate my tanks, so I consider that a huge win.

Force him to like the hobby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimkat View Post
I finished cycling my 5 gallon!

I added 2ppm more of ammonia to keep the bacteria alive until I get the ADFs and RCS!
I really want to add my Betta now... but I know that it would be easier to introduce them peacefully if I add the ADF/RCS first and betta later.
RCS will be coming on Thursday and will go shopping for ADF after the food is delivered. Very excited.
Isnt it great when your tank finally finishes cycling? I'm eagerly awaiting the end of the cycling process on my upcoming 3g reef tank
Old 01-11-2015, 04:32 PM   #7288
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Force him to like the hobby!

Maybe if there was a way to add wheels and a motor...until then, I'm on my own!

Old 01-11-2015, 04:47 PM   #7289
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I wanted to see how my perimeters changed after a 33% WC and here are the results. Tested 0 ppm Ammonia, 0 ppm Nitrite and 30 ppm Nitrate performed the 33% WC. The tank is 55 gal heavily planted with 50 or fish and it's been in existence for 3 months. After WC I tested it again and all the perimeters were at 0 ppm. I was shocked actually. I've been performing weekly 33% WC and my nitrates usually are 20 to 40 ppm so again I was surprised to see them at 0 ppm. Here's the tube. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421008809.039417.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	260756 so my question is- can I go 10 to 14 days between WC's? I normally siphon the gravel in fifths so the whole tank is vacuumed everything month and half. I also wipe the glass and every WC. My fish are :
1 angelfish
1 red tail shark
3 Boesemani Rainbows
2 Pearl Gouramis
1 dwarf Gouramis
1 Opaline Gouramis
1 Kubotai Loach
9 assorted cories
12 Lambchop Rosaboras
10 Rummynoses
8 HY 511 Tetras.
5 Oto cats
1 Amano shrimp

Old 01-11-2015, 06:09 PM   #7290
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Played around with bulbs on the 16g. Also trimmed some plants. Added otos to the tank yesterday so every time I go by the tank I've been checking to make sure they're ok.

I have an order from Bob's that hasn't shipped so I added on a trio of sparkling gouramis for the 16g as well.

Next major chore-today or tomorrow-is to rinse the sand for the new nano tank project. Finally decided to go with a mix of Tahitian moon and super natural sunset gold.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com