Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-23-2015, 10:32 PM   #7331
Oto
Aquarium Advice Activist

Laid down a layer of dirt, added rocks, added gravel, burying the rocks, digging the rocks back out, putting the rocks back in, stepping back and deciding there isn't enough gravel, adding more gravel, burying rocks again, digging up rocks and putting them back in, then realizing I still have to plant and moving some gravel back up. It was a busy day. I'm setting up a ten gallon Walstad.
At least I know what NOT to do now.
On an unrelated note, I discovered the more button on the smilies page.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:01 AM   #7332
Aquarium Advice Regular

I got this little guy today! Couldn't pass it up. Looks so pretty!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422072022.258177.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	262109Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422072032.718432.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	262110

Old 01-25-2015, 08:48 PM   #7333
Aquarium Advice Freak

My dad was up for a visit this week so tank maintenance was mostly postponed until today. Aside from WC i did virtually nothing with my tanks which has caused some minor issues.

My Betta tank is usually my most viewed tank at present since i keep it in my room where i spend a lot of my time. I generally control the light on this tank by estimation rather than using light timers. It means that i do get green hair algae issues but usually some spot treating with hydrogen peroxide deals with this well. This week i gave the room up to my dad so when the light got switched on in the morning it's been left on for 12+ hours (usually i run it on a split lighting schedule which has minimised algae growth). The room has been vacated again so i noticed just how bad the GHA had gotten with 6 days of light in massive excess. You can't really see the dwarf hairgrass i was so proud of in my last post anymore so i've run a massive dose of hydrogen peroxide in hopes of getting rid of it. I'm watching it bubble away crazily at the moment and my betta doing laps in the bottom of a 2 litre bottle he lives in while i peroxide his tank.I'l do a big water change soon and hopefully see the plants inside look less like algae monsters.

My latest tank in the loungroom is doing well. I started doing minimal fert dosing in it this week and am seeing some of the struggling plants growing a little bit already. I am drastically understocking this tank since i will be moving house soon and don't want the hassle of another quarantine tank to deal with when i move.

I took advantage of my dads visit to plug in some data about his tank at home with aquadvisor. He has a 20g with 2 juvenile BN plecos, Platties, Guppies, Mollies, 2 Rainbow sharks and a Silver shark in it. He was quite shocked to see how overstocked the tank was based on the aquadvisor info. Hopefully he goes home and is willing to be more vigilant about water changes now. Getting him to swap out the stock that will outgrow the tank is a battle for another time, but i think i had a win for his current stock because he's told me he will do waterchanges weekly as opposed to having done 1 in the last 12 weeks. Baby steps.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...al-292013.html
Alan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:33 PM   #7334
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Waterchange

Sent from my VS985 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 01-26-2015, 02:28 PM   #7335
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Filled evaporation the last two nights. Last night both Angel pairs have eggs, on the slate and on the Anubias leaf like usual.

Edit - the Koi and Stripe pair now have wigglers. I just turned on the light and they they were wiggling!!! So I just must have just not seen them until yesterday. Better hurry with the pwc.

The spare tank 35G I was planning on keeping the babies in, I found a Totsie pop lollipop wrapper was floating in the water, no lid is on it right now... and when I picked it out the water had dissolved it and the was just the stick and wrapper left. The water has a little tinge of pinkish red but it was full of tannins and no light on at the moment due to no fish. I have been feeding the tank every few days in order to keep the BB happy. Probably going to do a big pwc.

Considering moving the Rainbows and Gourami to the other 16 G tank for a few weeks to see if the Angels can raise their babies. So many choices.

Or do nothing and just see what happens.

Other option is to move the SW fish from the 15G to the 35G. Then put the eggs from both pair into the 16G and try to raise them myself. It is amazing they laid them on the same day, but maybe one pair the Koi and Silver could possibly raise both since they were laid on the same day...unless they were somehow smart enough to tell the difference or even care.

Both pair seem very protective, but the Koi and Stripe ferociously so. Last time I reached in to move a dead leaf out of the water I almost got my finger tip bit off, lol.

New to FW fish? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ork&page=rules

FW - 72G / 12G Edge/11.4G Mr Aqua Rimless
SW - Nano 6.6G Edge - Plus a FW 46G bowfront (QT)
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:26 PM   #7336
Ayi
Aquarium Advice Freak

Got some new Omega one food. The pellets are way bigger than I though, so I'm crushing them up between slate to make a powder. Also topped off the tanks. Evaporation is getting to be a pita.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:35 PM   #7337
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayi View Post
Got some new Omega one food. The pellets are way bigger than I though, so I'm crushing them up between slate to make a powder. Also topped off the tanks. Evaporation is getting to be a pita.
Open top tank? Lol

Didn't really do anything with my tank, but i did notice a tiny side runner from my star repens and my c. wendtii red has a new plant sprout (i think i only planted 3 individual plants...)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 01-27-2015, 12:35 AM   #7338
Ayi
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yup, open 55 with cfl's. It's about 1g/day
Old 01-27-2015, 06:39 AM   #7339
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayi View Post
Yup, open 55 with cfl's. It's about 1g/day
A glass hood is not super expensive at Petco you know....

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 01-27-2015, 08:33 AM   #7340
Aquarium Advice Activist

This thread originally started in 2012 wow

Sent from inside my fish tank

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com