What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How are the gularis?

Will try again to answer this. lol - got distracted.

They are always hungry they have big eyes, constantly poking around the plant jungle looking for food. I can't get, at least haven't yet got a decent pic of them. The light is poor since the top of the tank is near full of floating plants I haven't got planted yet.

Today I added 3 CPD's and 5 Green Neons to the Gularis' 16G tank because of the 12G FW Edge rescape tank, tank cleaning, MTS abatement, BN Pleco catching project.

Which has taken hours and I am only partially finished.

So about that.

The BN Plecos absolutely would not cooperate and had to flip the DW around in circles and still couldn't get them, finally the male went to a corner and I caught him quickly and put him into the 72G, thinking I might be able to avoid a complete tear down tonight, and just as simply nab the other...NOPE!
Over half hour of wrestling around back and forth, at some point near middle of that decided just get it over with and getting the spiky DW out with a huge mass of Bolbitis growing in every direction proved also to be inconvenient, and painstakingly miserable too.

To make matters worst, I couldn't find that many shrimp. Probably just a additional dozen left. :nono:

So that was a massive disappointment. Hoping there were at least a few more in the plants I pulled out.

Didn't have enough time to sort through all the sand for the possible remaining shrimp. Checked through all the water and debris and only found 1 small and one microscopic baby.

Picked out a thousand MTS (and there are a million more in the bucket) - the muck in the Eco was abysmal. Only cleaned a couple quarts of substrate to put back in since I am now exhausted.

Filter was acting fussy again but I wiggled it around and it seems to be going alright.

Have been running the filter without the prefilter to help clear it up but it doesn't seem to be clearing as fast as I would like.

I am pretty sad about wrecking the tank scape, I liked it except it was a little too bushy, just needed a trim. But there really was no way to get the BN Plecos out, or the fish, and I needed to reduce the population of Mts as well and clean the muck out, those necessities are my only consolation. Very small the way it feels right now with the whole thing in a shambles. :/

Here was the tank as I was trying to catch the female BN Pleco.

60074-albums13090-picture68695.jpg

Tomorrow is another day. Or by looking at the clock, today is another day.

If the Tangerine Tigers are available from the breeder, I will get a batch next week or the CRS depending how much I can get them for.

Clearing up a little.

Last edited:
Oh no, I loved the scape, I had the same with 2 Chinese algae eaters, after 20 minutes I thought I would never catch them, they are like lightening, anyway I got another net and caught them that way...........you will soon get your tank back to normal.........

Found a dead baby mystery snail today, kinda wondered about him as he wasn't growing.
Hubby seen a 3 inch elephant nose at our LFS today and wanted to bring him home, I had to say no as Gonzo is 9 inches long and I'd be concerned that he'd kill it.

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon vampire shrimp, green lace shrimp and snails.

I added pot scrubbies to my DIY reactor to make sure CO2 was 100% dissolved. Forgot to adjust my needle valve and woke up to my fish gasping at the surface...whoops.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428154260.283043.jpg Emergency water change with one filter still running to increase gas exchange. Readjusted my CO2 and am planning on adding my air pump to the tank for some extra aeration at night time.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I added pot scrubbies to my DIY reactor to make sure CO2 was 100% dissolved. Forgot to adjust my needle valve and woke up to my fish gasping at the surface...whoops.

View attachment 269183 Emergency water change with one filter still running to increase gas exchange. Readjusted my CO2 and am planning on adding my air pump to the tank for some extra aeration at night time.

Beautiful looking tank!

View attachment 269183 Emergency water change with one filter still running to increase gas exchange. Readjusted my CO2 and am planning on adding my air pump to the tank for some extra aeration at night time.

Glad you caught it in time, and nice tank and great spray bar!

Oh no, I loved the scape, I had the same with 2 Chinese algae eaters, after 20 minutes I thought I would never catch them, they are like lightening, anyway I got another net and caught them that way...........you will soon get your tank back to normal.........

Thank you. It still will look similar after I finish the scape new pic below, and add the substrate back in. The roots were great and it never goes back in just the same way as it grew :ermm:

Two nets didn't work, a cup and a net didn't work... I am pretty skilled too but the Spiderwood had crevices and the Plecos couldn't even be seen in the tankl if they were hiding in them, no kidding if they were hiding you would never know they were in the tank!

So the 12G Edge FW tank looked bright and clear this morning, (except the light doesn't work lol. Still deciding what to do about that, upgrade or stock. So using supplemental for a little longer.

60074-albums13090-picture68697.jpg

Yay, the shrimp are alive and scurrying all over the tank, and I fed them maybe 6 shrimp Cuisine dots, and I think one of them smiled and winked at me. :lol:

Topped off the water still a little low for aeration in case the filter goes to no flow again or stops.

Added the air bubbler to the MTS bucket.

The 12G Rimless Garden SW tank is pretty cloudy still this morning so going to look at the filter situation in my spare tank stuff and maybe add one on there tonight.

Moved the Killer Zoa to the 15G which was also nice and clear. From its QT tank, added the ball of Chaeto to the 12G rimless garden and then moved the snails that had hitch hiked over too.

Also the two little Halimeda to the 12G as well.

Just turned the light on so the creatures aren't open yet.

60074-albums14227-picture68698.jpg

Switched air bubblers in the Live Rock bucket and added the little heater that was in the QT.

Hope all is well upon returning tonight!

Happy fishkeeping!

Partially made a DIY inline reactor, still some small things left to finish (thanks NigelK8485 for the design!)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Glad you caught it in time, and nice tank and great spray bar!

Thank you. It still will look similar after I finish the scape new pic below, and add the substrate back in. The roots were great and it never goes back in just the same way as it grew :ermm:

Two nets didn't work, a cup and a net didn't work... I am pretty skilled too but the Spiderwood had crevices and the Plecos couldn't even be seen in the tankl if they were hiding in them, no kidding if they were hiding you would never know they were in the tank!

So the 12G Edge FW tank looked bright and clear this morning, (except the light doesn't work lol. Still deciding what to do about that, upgrade or stock. So using supplemental for a little longer.

60074-albums13090-picture68697.jpg

Yay, the shrimp are alive and scurrying all over the tank, and I fed them maybe 6 shrimp Cuisine dots, and I think one of them smiled and winked at me. :lol:

Topped off the water still a little low for aeration in case the filter goes to no flow again or stops.

Added the air bubbler to the MTS bucket.

The 12G Rimless Garden SW tank is pretty cloudy still this morning so going to look at the filter situation in my spare tank stuff and maybe add one on there tonight.

Moved the Killer Zoa to the 15G which was also nice and clear. From its QT tank, added the ball of Chaeto to the 12G rimless garden and then moved the snails that had hitch hiked over too.

Also the two little Halimeda to the 12G as well.

Just turned the light on so the creatures aren't open yet.

60074-albums14227-picture68698.jpg

Switched air bubblers in the Live Rock bucket and added the little heater that was in the QT.

Hope all is well upon returning tonight!

Happy fishkeeping!
All looks back to normal, well done......

Partially made a DIY inline reactor, still some small things left to finish (thanks NigelK8485 for the design!)

Whoo hoo! Looking good. If you haven't yet, depending on the flow of your filter, I'd add some of the plastic pot scrubbies. I can tell a difference in how much co2 is used.

Whoo hoo! Looking good. If you haven't yet, depending on the flow of your filter, I'd add some of the plastic pot scrubbies. I can tell a difference in how much co2 is used.

Thats one of the things I have to do. Pot scrubbers, add co2 barb, and maybe cement. Not sure where I would cement it though.

Thats one of the things I have to do. Pot scrubbers, add co2 barb, and maybe cement. Not sure where I would cement it though.

You just have it dry fitted right now? I used pvc cement on every single piece that wasn't threaded and added epoxy where the co2 hose barb goes in. I screwed it in to set the threads then unscrewed it about 90% and put epoxy around it and screwed it back in.

Autumnsky, you are one very busy person. If I were you I would have gone bananas a long time ago.

How do you know I am not :brows: ???

Well, the SW 12 is still cloudy and I only have all FW filters running right now. No extras. My 5G runs with out a filter and is crystal clear. I am gonna do a pwc and see where we are at in the morning.

Found a dead baby mystery snail today, kinda wondered about him as he wasn't growing.
Hubby seen a 3 inch elephant nose at our LFS today and wanted to bring him home, I had to say no as Gonzo is 9 inches long and I'd be concerned that he'd kill it.

Sorry about the snail :(

You have excellent restraint, doubt I would have said no....

Emergency water change with one filter still running to increase gas exchange. Readjusted my CO2 and am planning on adding my air pump to the tank for some extra aeration at night time.

That's a very nice looking tank (y)

Sorry about the snail :(

You have excellent restraint, doubt I would have said no....

Thanks, don't know why he didn't grow. Also think one of my new Chinese snail's is on its way out too :(
I'm still thinking about that elephant nose lol really love keeping them, but keep saying too myself it'll not work.

Will try again to answer this. lol - got distracted.

They are always hungry they have big eyes, constantly poking around the plant jungle looking for food. I can't get, at least haven't yet got a decent pic of them. The light is poor since the top of the tank is near full of floating plants I haven't got planted yet.

Today I added 3 CPD's and 5 Green Neons to the Gularis' 16G tank because of the 12G FW Edge rescape tank, tank cleaning, MTS abatement, BN Pleco catching project.

Which has taken hours and I am only partially finished.

So about that.

The BN Plecos absolutely would not cooperate and had to flip the DW around in circles and still couldn't get them, finally the male went to a corner and I caught him quickly and put him into the 72G, thinking I might be able to avoid a complete tear down tonight, and just as simply nab the other...NOPE!
Over half hour of wrestling around back and forth, at some point near middle of that decided just get it over with and getting the spiky DW out with a huge mass of Bolbitis growing in every direction proved also to be inconvenient, and painstakingly miserable too.

To make matters worst, I couldn't find that many shrimp. Probably just a additional dozen left. :nono:

So that was a massive disappointment. Hoping there were at least a few more in the plants I pulled out.

Didn't have enough time to sort through all the sand for the possible remaining shrimp. Checked through all the water and debris and only found 1 small and one microscopic baby.

Picked out a thousand MTS (and there are a million more in the bucket) - the muck in the Eco was abysmal. Only cleaned a couple quarts of substrate to put back in since I am now exhausted.

Filter was acting fussy again but I wiggled it around and it seems to be going alright.

Have been running the filter without the prefilter to help clear it up but it doesn't seem to be clearing as fast as I would like.

I am pretty sad about wrecking the tank scape, I liked it except it was a little too bushy, just needed a trim. But there really was no way to get the BN Plecos out, or the fish, and I needed to reduce the population of Mts as well and clean the muck out, those necessities are my only consolation. Very small the way it feels right now with the whole thing in a shambles. :/

Here was the tank as I was trying to catch the female BN Pleco.

Tomorrow is another day. Or by looking at the clock, today is another day.

If the Tangerine Tigers are available from the breeder, I will get a batch next week or the CRS depending how much I can get them for.

Clearing up a little.

I will wait patiently for gularis pics :whistle:

Sorry to hear about the BN adventure....

Thanks, don't know why he didn't grow. Also think one of my new Chinese snail's is on its way out too :(
I'm still thinking about that elephant nose lol really love keeping them, but keep saying too myself it'll not work.

I've been watching a bumblebee nerite for a while this morning, starting to think it might be dead. Probably a silly question but how can I tell if it is or not?

I know nothing about elephant noses and live vicariously thru your posts and photos!

I've been watching a bumblebee nerite for a while this morning, starting to think it might be dead. Probably a silly question but how can I tell if it is or not?

I know nothing about elephant noses and live vicariously thru your posts and photos!

If they're dead they really smell bad! I thought I was going to be sick when I sniffed the snail yesterday, kinda just staring at the large Chinese one at the moment nobody wants to check it for me :eek:
I've tried asking my hubby for another tank for the elephant but I don't think it's working. Maybe time for an upgrade for my guy ;)

Back
Top Bottom