What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Changed substrate from gravel to sand tonight. So much better! Going to get some angels of Craig's list soon too!

Note: don't ever try to change it with fish in I couldn't imagine doing it like that and how much extra work out would be.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1433470115881.jpg
    1433470115881.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 109
  • 1433470204139.jpg
    1433470204139.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 72
Changed substrate from gravel to sand tonight. So much better! Going to get some angels of Craig's list soon too!

Note: don't ever try to change it with fish in I couldn't imagine doing it like that and how much extra work out would be.

I actually did one time. In my 45g when I switched to sand a long time ago. All it had in it was 5 white skirts. I wish I had removed them because it took a lot longer with them in there.

Caleb

Another tidbit for anyone doing the job- if you have a submersible pump of any sort then use it. When I removed the gravel there was still waste left over that my original plan was to remove by water changes. I pumped 10 gallons in. The flow of the pump created an eddy that gathered all the waste in one area that I was able to easily vacuum.

Attachments

• 1433495962402.jpg
    1433495962402.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 1433495992399.jpg
    1433495992399.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 59
Another tidbit for anyone doing the job- if you have a submersible pump of any sort then use it. When I removed the gravel there was still waste left over that my original plan was to remove by water changes. I pumped 10 gallons in. The flow of the pump created an eddy that gathered all the waste in one area that I was able to easily vacuum.

Prime example why I won't use gravel. But very neat trick!

Caleb

after a long night finishing up after the infestation I had as of 3AM I can say I'm finished
what was to take 5 days I did in 3
I never want to go through that again!!
nice snow white sand again need to blow off rocks
I can't believe I'm done

img_3231339_0_4be36f85c0de0e3347f02d946bf36d5b.jpg

Water changes for every body. Did a 30% in my 36 bow front and a 20% in my nano. Everything seems nice happy now

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Nice dude. I think that north Carolina stiff might poison the tank, lol. But I dig it. Love them peacocks and syno's.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The rock is from the mountains and the river was hardly polluted (there were animals that were pollution non tolerant.) and I cleaned everything with hot water and a scrub brush.

Spent most of the day trying to figure out how I'm going to move my family, myself, all our belongings, and 4 fully stocked tanks into a new house within 25 days >.<

Jesse

Planted tank it's used as nutrients. Normal tank? Mixed in with the sand and vacuumed off the top.

Caleb

A gravel substrate traps a lot of detritus and if not cleaned this can be a source of nitrates. Sand does not trap the detritus at all (this is why people say sand is cleaner) but if you're trapping the detritus in the gravel and vaccing the substrate regularly those nitrates will never be released in the water column.

Gravel is more work to clean, but imho if done properly it can help contribute to an overall healthier tank.

As promised.. What does a fish lover do when his father hands him $100 on vacation to use on whatever? Buy a new tank of course! Already know what's going in it. Been wanting a dwarf puffer for a very long time! It's a 10g planted tank.

Floromax substrate with some black sand mixed in for easier planting and depth.

Plants:
Staurogyne repens
Cryptocoryne undulata
Cyprus helferi

Using a precycled filter from another tank :)

And of course I got some pond snails for free from a certain pet store. Gave me like 25 to take home free. They are culturing in the 2.5g.

Really my only concern is the lighting. It's a small clip on finnex and I really worry if it is big enough for the whole tank.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433555098.334942.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433555136.671066.jpg

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom