What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While doing a big trim of floating leaves to enable me to feed my guies better I spotted some fry. I bought endler guppies because I wanted something that v would breed and finally it's happened. Biggest one ib saw was about 4mm long. Some tank watching seems to be in order for this afternoon.

Congrats on your babies.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Congrats on your babies.

Thanks. I've tried breeding fighting fish. I probably started with fish that v were too old. The male was short-sighted and never caught the eggs when the female dropped them. The male is supposed to pick them up and deposit them in the bubble nest, then keep watch and pick up any that fall out for 2-3 days. My old fellow completed the rest of the deed but ignored the sinking eggs. With the endlers it was as easy as providing them a tank and a 1m:2f ratio. I'm happy though. Goal achieved. Fry have been born in my tank ��

So, my diy co2 spectacularly exploded this morning, the lid blew off the baking soda chamber pulling the citric acid chamber over, ( pretty much exactly how I described it may happen to my wife when she questioned me about the safety of it ) Luckily i was out of bed and within diving distance so the sticky citric acid spillage was kept minimal, I very loosely put it back together before assessing the damage, when I was just about finished cleaning the walls and the carpet and the couch and the tv and the tank, ( maybe not so minimal ) it want off again, so I pulled it out and threw it in the laundry sink to be modified when I got home from work. It now has more secure lids and tighter hoses, hopefully my diy co2 version 3 stands up ( literally )

So, my diy co2 spectacularly exploded this morning, the lid blew off the baking soda chamber pulling the citric acid chamber over, ( pretty much exactly how I described it may happen to my wife when she questioned me about the safety of it ) Luckily i was out of bed and within diving distance so the sticky citric acid spillage was kept minimal, I very loosely put it back together before assessing the damage, when I was just about finished cleaning the walls and the carpet and the couch and the tv and the tank, ( maybe not so minimal ) it want off again, so I pulled it out and threw it in the laundry sink to be modified when I got home from work. It now has more secure lids and tighter hoses, hopefully my diy co2 version 3 stands up ( literally )

OMG. That sounds like an episode of Tool Time. Tim would be proud.

Yeah it's was fun, my wife was up for the 2nd explosion, she just stood there shaking her head with that 'I told you' look on her face

Wives truly cherish those moments. Lol

Wives truly cherish those moments. Lol

ROFL!!! Lunch - the way you told the story was a hoot - thanks for the laugh. Sorry it happened but comical story!

Hardly did a thing the last few days - pwc and added water for evap.

Not too sure with what to do with the giant chaeto monster in my little tank. A couple other things have come up around home so have had other projects taking up my time. Still need to get the tank for the upgraded SW fixed... So behind schedule there.

Saw a little Exo Terra type set up at the ReStore and have been seriously considering a Palladium but refrained and decided to think a little longer and maybe keep my eye open for a bigger size.

Never ends, what interesting projects there are to consider!

Last edited:
Did the usual 20% water change on Sunday and trimmed some plants. The cardamine has been growing like kudzu: I darn near needed a weed-whacker for it. Trimmed the ludwigia repens and I'm already getting good new growth. Trimmed the tallest of the alternanthera reineckii and replanted the top. I'm really happy at how the red in its leaves is finally developing.

Now all I have to do is figure out what to do with the baby platy factory I've got going... :facepalm:

after a few weeks of toying around with diy co2 and getting mixed results I finally made a successful diy setup consisting of only materials from my tank cupboard, complete with needle valve but I wasn't confident turning it right down overnight due to excess pressure buildup (See post #10323) I decided today to take it down and just stick to liquid co2, probably safer for everyone

after a few weeks of toying around with diy co2 and getting mixed results I finally made a successful diy setup consisting of only materials from my tank cupboard, complete with needle valve but I wasn't confident turning it right down overnight due to excess pressure buildup (See post #10323) I decided today to take it down and just stick to liquid co2, probably safer for everyone

And everyone in the house slept better knowing nothing was going to explode.

The end....

After stable water parameters for 3 days I moved most of the stock from my way overcrowded 5 gallon tank to the 15gallon. Guppies are having a blast, and the cories are actually swimming around midway up the column which is nice to see as they're usually hiding the best they can. Now I've just got to wait for a good biofilm to develop for the oto's to move over. And I need to decide if I'm going to give this tank the peat treatment.

Hit a fish shop that is pretty far away and hardly ever get over there. Actually went for 20 Cardinals but they didn't have their deal price, not too bad a price but 2.49 each no deals for buying 10 which is usually $20-21.99. So I didn't want to spent the extra $6-10. I can wait a little while for a better sale.

There were some nice FW Fire shrimp but 4.99 too much imho. But in the tank, were some very tiny fish... thought baby White Clouds, and was correct. They were from someone who has a breeding group and brings them in periodically. At .99 each I bought them, WCMM are so pretty.

They had a bunch of Koi Angel babies - body the size of a nickel - 3 for $10. A reasonable deal. So I pick out 3 nice ones with pretty orange heads and some on the bodies. Not like my previous beautiful pairs but after waiting for nicer ones for over a year, I will just buy them. Later will need to remove any females (to keep a peaceful tank), so I am hoping for at least 2 males.

Get home an add the tiny WCMM in with the Tangerine Tiger shrimp after acclimating and the very small (domestically bred but) wild variety Mexican Swordtails fry (Xiphophorus helleri Rio Otapa) start trying to eat them though they are hardly bigger than them, they are much more ferocious!!!

Immediately scoop out the 4 Swordtails and put them into a cup for acclimation to the 12G Edge with the larger Green Kubotai and Phoenix and Chili Rasboras.

I fear now I made a huge mistake putting the little baby ferocious Swordtails in with my Tangerine Tiger Shrimp. Pretty sure now the small TT are gonna be gone since the Swordtails were in there.

Always keep learning from your mistakes. :banghead:

Will be putting the 3 new Angels into the 46G QT tank.

Did a ~40% pwc on the 72G. Wiped out the inside rim of the tank and glass while the water level was down.

Did a refill of water from evap on the SW nano and the 2 ~ 12G tanks.

Haven't yet, but also need to do a 50% pwc on the QT tank.

Plan to shop around to see if we there is a better deal on Cardinals.

While at the fish shop, also looked at the Discus they had there but they had some kind of parasite.

The guy was going to sell them to me infected but then I noticed the spots! What nerve!!! Then I decline the purchase and he says yeah its not Ich but probably someother type of parasite, I have been treating them!!! WHAT???!!!

Not buying from them again. I really couldn't believe it. The situation was shocking. It wasn't the owner but the tank wasn't marked as under observation either!!! Wow! :nono:

Last edited:
After 8 months of floating, the dw in my big tank is finally waterlogged enough to be weighed down with minimal effort, nowhere near the estimated 2 weeks the guy at the lfs I bought it from told me it would take, just as I was about to give up on it and take it out... Can finally start setting up the tank around it!

Pwc on 6 tanks followed by feet dosing and feeding. Seems like I've eliminated most of the gha in my 35g. I'm dosing API co2 but its getting low. LFS had none yesterday. I'm going to ask them to order in a 2L bottle of flourish excel as well as some of the flourish ferts. They only stock micronutrients so I'd love to get hold of the macros. I hate ordering things online so hopefully they get my stuff in stock soon. Need to make them a wish list though.

I'm excited about seeing growth from my AR mini. It was on a list of plants I've wanted to buy here for a year or so. I hadn't seen it for sale until recently. I think that the list of plants being shipped to Australia is improving slowly. The lighting upgrade I did recently is paying dividends. My previous setup would not have supported AR or the experiment I'm running to see which of the four groundcover plants i'm experimenting with will win the right to take pride of place in my tank.

Does anyone know of a good supplier of dry ferts that shops to Australia? I think its time for me to switch away from the premixed fetrs.

Been a busy 48 hours for my tanks. Last night I replaced the 5 otocinclus I lost with 3 more and 4 female fancy guppies. The two boys in the tank are no longer spastically chasing eachother. Now they follow the girls around like teenagers. Added Pothos to all three tank filters. Changed out 1 cartrige and added some peat to another to try and soften the water up some.

Today stopped by another LFS and finally found some hornwort. Got two big handfuls of the stuff and some water sprite. Split it between all three tanks. The Bettas are already making nests in the floating hornwort..

Sent from my LG-H343 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh and added a pickup sponge to the hob in my 15 due to one of the female's my Wife picked out is seriously preggers.

Sent from my LG-H343 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Pwc on my elephant nose tank, cut back some plant's. Bought live daphnia for my boraras and they were to big for their little mouths lol so Gonzo got the extra bag for a treat! Then fed him live bloodworm at supper time.
Pwc on my boraras tank early since I've had a lot of death's lately :( fed live baby brine shrimp to them. Fish are looking good one good thing happening in the tank!

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon boraras ,bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.

Set up my planted 55g! :D Got frustrated trying to post better pics of the arches. I have them in the albums, but I'm having issues copying the code to post to my thread. I'll try again in a bit. But... Yay 55g!

Side note: anyone have any suggestion on how to beat back a snail explosion?

Sent from a place where the water is fresh and clean and we all swim free.

Back
Top Bottom