What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Removed some plants today. Next is the driftwood. Pre-scape activities.
6P5RLCFl.jpg

RIGHT before leaving for work found that there were power outages the previous 2 days - the first day I checked everything I thought that the first day was the only day it was an outage, but there was another the next day which I didn't know about, AND 2 of 5 filters didn't reprime and start up, one has a bubbler in t but the othet one didn't. The fish were getting stressed.

I added an air pump and some Prime, but then ran off. After getting back 12+ hours later I checked everything and all seemed okay.

Cleaned both filters - SW nano was fine and worked again. FW nano fish tank rattled and honked and squealed but didn't pump any water. Doing a pwc and added a good dose of Prime. Off to buy a new filter after work tomorrow :( They aren't very reasonably priced at the ole' lfs. Because it is a Edge tank only one size very small will fit in the space open for it.

Thinking it is a good time to empty the tank anyway, it was the one I was planning on cleaning out because of the algae. But not for a few days or weeks or so, hahaha, that's what I thought. Still not positive about moving those fish to the 72G.

The White Cloud Mountan Minnows I don't worry about, but the Green Kubotai Rasboras are the ones I am concerned about. They will eat the Tangerine Tiger Shrimp babies - very predatory so they can not go into that tank. Hmmm.

Yikes, sounds busy - can see why 4 or 5 tanks is the limit!

Yes so true.

Well upon getting up to go to work today there was at least a gallon of water leaked somehow out of the filter area of the SW nano all over the floor!!! I tried tightening it up but had to leave!!!!!:facepalm: Cleaned and refilled it.

Left a towel under the area behind the tank. It is down nearly another gallon tonight upon returning. :banghead:

So I think the SW nano will get the new filter. I am digging out the old filter housing from the other tank which looks like it is in good condition. Burned out motor from power outage last time and not restarting. Pretty sure it is due to the MTS getting into the impeller area while tiny babies and then blocking it from keeping suction.

I didn't mention it before but the newest one to burn out smelled like over heated muck and burned snails. Not something I would ever like to experience again.:eek:

Hoping this time to get everything tightened and in good order.

Will try to buy a motor or 2 for the other 2 I have that died over the years.

Hoping there isn't a crack in the the leaker filter, just a poor connection. (It's another snail probably!)

I would like to be at 3 tanks:eek2:

BUT it seems hard to actually do it.

While at the lfs buying the new filter I saw the brand new shipment of Bettas and they had some real beauties. Some beautiful blue butterfly and red butterfly, all peach, blue and orange, yellow and green and blue. I would have liked to snag a few of them, but this is what goes on inside my brain. "what are you thinking!!!" :agrue: "Are you crazy???" "NO, no, no! Don't look!" "If I don't look I could miss a special treasure" ;)

About at this point it is easier to say no. lol

Last edited:
I know the feeling. I lost a bunch of fish and plants in November. I'm walking on eggshells this month but so far so good. Thinking about totally reworking the tank next month to make it all seem ok again.

I know the feeling. I lost a bunch of fish and plants in November. I'm walking on eggshells this month but so far so good. Thinking about totally reworking the tank next month to make it all seem ok again.

There are so many of those times in the numbers of tanks I have had, I get so many second, third.....10th, 20th thoughts about the redoing of tanks and regrets of mistakes, or forgetfulness, or what have ya, especially large tank tragedy events caused by me or the unknown. I feel for you.

~~~
New turn of events. I was so focused on the SW nano filter leaking. I installed the new filter and it worked perfectly (of course).

Then I cleaned the older one and tried to see if it was leaking and changed out parts with the other two broken ones, set it up in a bucket and found that one didn't pump and motor didn't work but the other worked perfectly, realized that the impeller was broken on the on that didn't work so tried the impeller from the burned out motor one and voila! So I went to remove the other broken one from the 12G nano fish tank and realized it was working!!!

So it seems I have a new good one, a decently working one, with 2 weak ones and one dead one! Still testing for the leaking problem and will let the decent and weak one run to make sure it is tight.:rolleyes:

Going to look for a deal on a couple motors in my spare time. I have an emergency back up now x2 :lol:

Rock Flower Anemone moved from the very top side of glass (when the water level went down 2 inchs today from the leaking) and was nicely open at the bottom, hoping it stays there!

All the RFA were open wide and looking nice today. Also hoping to get a batch of Tisbee Pods and green food for the tank. And the "vase".
SW macroalgae tank :) Tomorrow or Friday.

Taking care of all that shot a good couple of hours tonight! Need less tanks!

So far so good hydro sp. Japan pearling like craxy. The new leaves for the Monte Carlo ate coming an the dbts is doing good
Got some ar growing in the back middle of the tank
IMG_20161216_193351.jpgIMG_20161216_193410.jpg

Did my pwc a day early. Needed some tank water for all the subwassertang and plants Fresh2o sent. I've never seen so much subwassertang!

Gonna be planting tomorrow.

Did my pwc a day early. Needed some tank water for all the subwassertang and plants Fresh2o sent. I've never seen so much subwassertang!

Gonna be planting tomorrow.

Glad it arrived early. Yeah, submerged the subwassertang was probably the size of a football. Have fun planting!

Added 8 forktail rainbows and 12 celestial pearl danios to my 90 ltr

Same tank, had 2 male threadfin rainbows in it for a few months, decided to add 2 females, had to help the lady at the pet store sex and catch them and for my assistance, she threw in an extra 1 for free, $16 fish for $0, tyvm.. The difference between male to male display and male to female display is pretty cool.

I filled my bucket so I can change my water I'm letting it get room temperature before I do a 25% water change

Been busy with my tank today. Heading in a new direction. Pic on top was taken a week ago. Pic on bottom taken tonight.
xGXPJ9Ih.jpg
I will start planting the carpet plants tomorrow.

Glad it arrived early. Yeah, submerged the subwassertang was probably the size of a football. Have fun planting!

Found a good home for 2/3 of the SWT. Shrimp are enjoying it! Put all the new root plants in some sand to make them happy till I redo the whole tank. Found an amazing piece of mopani yesterday and boiled the monster 3x. That Fissidens fontanus will crown it nicely.

Just need to find a source for the garnet sand. Planning the big redo over New Years weekend.

All of the glass will move to a 20L (yet to buy) with my old lights and tearing down the little 5g. January is gonna be busy.

Been busy with my tank today. Heading in a new direction. Pic on top was taken a week ago. Pic on bottom taken tonight.
xGXPJ9Ih.jpg
I will start planting the carpet plants tomorrow.
Nice fresh u have left over u can smash in the ruble type pebbles spread them around the piles but then again carpet plants will cover them but looking nice

Back
Top Bottom