What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
75pwc added a piece of helferi and trimmed some rotala and pitched some minima

20170326_105239.jpg

75pwc and a little h2o2
cac64239c1600fa1c3dd2a4aa60f49bf.jpg

Looking good [emoji4]

I'm rebuilding the 29....attempting to toddler-Betta-proof it, and avoid yet more fin injuries

This guy is an expert at hurting himself

If he were a child, triage would know him on a first name basis [emoji23]

I also helped the son upgrade his shrimp habitat to a box....I believe #5 plastic is ok for fish[emoji848]

He's not allowed to get more sensitive shrimp than ghosts until he has an actual cycled glass tank Image1490556690.618753.jpg

Qt tank split on the bottom panel and the whole family was recruited to clean up the water

Told my son he can house the minnows and neons or I can euthenise them because I can't add sick fish to a freshly sterilized tank and he just set up a shrimp habitat that's not been stocked yetImage1490574076.369846.jpg

I can't medicate them there but I will see if they improve on clean water daily

I'm almost ready to give up fish after this last week:(

Sorry to hear of the little disaster, Sassymomma. A few gallons of water seem like SO MUCH when they are on your floor.

Those kinds of weeks are ridiculous. Last week was a crazy mess for me. This week I ended up with Discus! Think it through more with your mind and less with your heart. Go through the processes. Things will be alright at some point soon.

Hugs

Lots of free tanks on CL in my region. Especially 10's.

~~~
Busy day, but not a pic for the Discus yet they zip behind the plants if they think I am coming close. I actually saw one looking at me from behind the lamp shade, like it was watching me!

Here is the pic I got when I got the text that these two were available
60074-albums11380-picture71038.jpg

Just kidding, they let me get a couple, a couple were from last night. I tried again and they stayed at the end. The bright blue is from the blue moon lights which is more white not the blue.

60074-albums11380-picture71039.jpg

60074-albums11380-picture71040.jpg

60074-albums11380-picture71026.jpg

I think the color is not depicted accurately in any pics but no matter, they are really pretty, There seems to be a light one and a brighter one, at this point guessing female and male but I haven't got to see if I can tell yet.

Will get a couple pics soon for the Angels.

The Silver Lace is very friendly out front but the 2 Koi are cautious.

These fish lived in tanks without much flow in the way the water change system was. My tank has a decent amount, so I think they need to get used to it and grow some muscles!!!

Here is the tubes for the auto water change system so I could remember how to try and make one.
60074-albums11380-picture71027.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the pic I got when I got the text that these two were available
60074-albums11380-picture71038.jpg

Just kidding, they let me get a couple, a couple were from last night. I tried again and they stayed at the end. The bright blue is from the blue moon lights which is more white not the blue.

60074-albums11380-picture71039.jpg

60074-albums11380-picture71040.jpg

60074-albums11380-picture71026.jpg

I think the color is not depicted accurately in any pics but no matter...

Is the fish gold and white or blue and black?

Wow, I would love discus!

We were actually considering getting some, but our big tank is a 38gallon, and I don't think it's big enough

Then, on further research, I discovered that they are sensitive to human traffic.... and I still have kids in the jumping around age group

Maybe later

I think when I stock the 38, I will get an angel, and build schools around it. I hear the aggressive/ territorial tendencies are not so bad if you only have one? I was told that most trouble is related to breeding behaviour

If my current fish survive, I will have wcmm, neon, harlequins to build upon

Is the fish gold and white or blue and black?

If you look up Turquoise Discus I would say that seems the closest. The background is a red color and the lines that are glowing so much in the moon pics are the actually that beautiful turquoise, but not as glowing.

Wow, I would love discus!

We were actually considering getting some, but our big tank is a 38gallon, and I don't think it's big enough

Then, on further research, I discovered that they are sensitive to human traffic.... and I still have kids in the jumping around age group

Maybe later

I think when I stock the 38, I will get an angel, and build schools around it. I hear the aggressive/ territorial tendencies are not so bad if you only have one? I was told that most trouble is related to breeding behaviour

If my current fish survive, I will have wcmm, neon, harlequins to build upon

Imho, 75G (I have a 72G plus 5G filter) would be a minimum. These guys are huge. The smaller the tank the more daily 30-50% (breeder do 100%) water changes if they were juveniles for proper growth (I believe has to do with the growth hormones being put out too as well as clean water and cleaning up from feeding them often), and for an adult it would be still regular changes but they are sooooo expensive.

I haven't had Discus before this because of not having an adequate water change set up, and I do want a much larger tank.

Best tank mates for the Discus are Cardinals for a dither fish, Clown Loaches and a few Cories, if I remember Sterbai Cories because they are fine with the high temp and rams. Angels are okay if there are not pair being aggressive. No tank mates except a bottom feeder to clean up food if they are breeding.

Since I am not really wanting to breed them, an all male display tank would be okay with for me now.

~~~

Moved things around again yesterday and today.

The not well new Angel perked up like all was well, almost looked like a Lazerus situation, sideways on top floating in the Wisteria and then added Stress Coat and left the room and came back and he was swimming around, no kidding. Water parameters were fine.

I had had a new bucket out to put him in all set with the heater and bubbler and a couple plants to try to nuse him back to health!!!

This morning did a near 50% pwc on the 72G and added the StressCoat in again. Fish seem alright.

The Discus have been out exploring.
think I already added this link for the Discus
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f100/starting-on-the-discus-adventure-356464.html#post3426491

Moved around the DW to help block the fast flow and need to finish looking up plants for heat sensitivity.

Medium size rescape for 72G coming soon.

It is going to be a major uproar to get the Cories and Neons out of there. So will try and move things to the 46G as I tear the tank apart.

Plan to capture the Clown Loach from QT and add him in to see his new friend, hope they get along well.

Need a new bottle of Prime I have changed so much water lately!!!

Last edited:
Yes....when we looked at discus, we were also looking at a 120gallon tank on sale

I wouldn't put big fish like that in a 38......wintering goldfish is challenging enough to maintain in this size lol

Next winter he can keep them himself lol

This year was his first year in a new house so he had Reno to do in the room where the tank usually would sit. He's hoping to make the pond bigger but I get the sense that's a bit of wishful thinking?

Right now the pond, while 4-5' around.....is only about 24"deep

So it freezes solid.

I suggested the heater too, but he doesn't think it's deep enough

Then again, my tank is 24" deep, so.....Image1490639872.542487.jpg

I kept my little pond (not going atm) only 125G +55G trash can filter, with a heater through the winter and it did a pretty good job, it was only ~24" deep. That larger size though would cost a lot more for a heater.

Pretty good pic except for the worm feeder being in the way.
60074-albums11380-picture71043.jpg

Just noticed that the bright one has some fin rot on the end of his tail. I saw a white ridge on it when I got him an assumed it was a color thing and he has been hiding so I didnt see it until today. Keeeping good clean water, will get a 50% pwc every 3 days. I will watch if it looks like it is getting better or not. It seems less white than when I got it. Maybe that means getting better. There are always meds.

I saw a Ice freeze chart somewhere but don't remember where I saw it but it had pond depths per area climates was pretty neat . Colorado ponds need to be 60 inch deep/5ft or deeper wish I remember where I saw it could be handy for all you pond folk. If I come across it again I'll post it .

Back
Top Bottom