What do you guys think of AqAdvisor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Your opinion on AqAdvisor?

• It's completely inaccurate and way off.

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • I think it's spot on!

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • It is just gives a basic understanding on how stocked your tank is.

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • Other- specify

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mandy2936

Aquarium Advice Addict
You've probably heard of the "Intelligent Stocking Calculator" that AqAdvisor provides.

What is everyone's opinion on AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor ?

•How accurate do you think it is?
Sometimes they tell me I need WAY more filtration capacity- but I mean come on, a 30g filter on a 20g tank is plenty. So when it comes to that, they are pretty off.
•However, on their stocking percentages, how accurate do YOU think they are?

I think it's a fairly good way to start out, but I would say that stocking really depends on the bioload that your tank can handle, and not what the aqadvisor says. :)

Right, but what if AqAdvisor also calculates the bioload your tank can handle based on the filtration and fish type when giving you the percentage of your tank?
AqAdvisor says my 20g tank is stocked 116%:
6 male Guppies
6-7 Neon Tetra
3 Platies
4 Julii Cories

What do you think about that?
I have a 10-30g filter.
I do 1-3 water changes a week.

Haha, okay. Perhaps someone else can offer advice on that subject?

It's not like they would be crowded swimming space wise, they have PLENTY of room. (My tank looks empty!) I am only concerned with the bioload... Does anyone think 2-3 water changes a week will be enough? I can even easily do 3-4, I just didn't think that was necessary.

One thing to keep in mind is that the filter manufacturers state that their filters can handle (using your filter as an example) 30g tank. So you think "ok, it handles 30g and I'm putting it on a 20g, no problem". When in actuality that filter might just push the 20g. Manufacturers rate their filters for higher than what they really do.

Another example. I have a Fluval 404 on my 80g tank. The 404 is supposed to be rated for up to 100g. It barely handles my 80g. I have to clean the tank and filter once a week. Don't get me wrong, I love the filter, but because of my bio-load, it can't keep up. See where I'm coming from?

So to boil it down, if you have better filtration and keep up on a good cleaning schedule you can in essence over fill your tank. Now, one thing to keep in mind is growth. If your fish are full grown then back to making sure you keep the tank clean. 3-4 water changes a week is too much in my opinion. Get a better filter, let it get seeded before taking off the old one (or just run 2) add a fish, test your tank, PWC if needed. Repeat.

Um, alright.
Yeah, I understand and I'm not going to go out and add 100 fish to the tank, lol.
I was just making sure that it would be okay to add 2-3 Platies and 1 Neon to my setup. Why is 3-4 water changes too often? I may have forgotten to mention that I only change about 1g or so of my water. I should probably do more, now that I think about it. o_O

mandy, i had the same mindset as you LOL, my tank looked sooooo dead with just my julii and pleco, i than tried experimenting with rainbows, rams and a gourami, im still experimenting =]

as for your filtration, i had a BN pleco so i knew a AC30 wouldnt be enough, so i bought a AC50 as well, now i have both in there and my filtration is great

if you want to add more fish, maybe think about getting another filter??? it would not be a bad thing to add another one, just to be safe =] even another AC30 would be good

I chose other though I'm 99% in agreement with "it just gives...".

There are far too many variables for any software to contend with for it to be "spot on". I've never personally used it, but I'd only suggest using it as a jump off point into actual research about the fish you plan to keep.

Dragonfish's points are totally accurate. Even GPH is a guess as to how much it will handle. All guesses are based without knowing the actual flow rates, distribution of media, cleanliness, etc. So it comes down to speculation & actual experience. Two things yet to be programmable. ;)

Thanks for the info and your opinion, HN1.
I am planning on adding 2 Platies to my stocking list in a week or so.
It will then be...
6 male Guppies
6 Neon Tetra
2 male Platies
and 4 Julii Cories

If all goes well, and I decide that's enough, I'll add one or so more Neons to beef up the school a bit. Then I will be done. Or, if the 2 Platies seem like they need a friend, I might add a third, leave the school of Neons at 6, and be done with then.
How does that plan sound? It may seem like I'm over thinking it slightly, but I know I need to be careful when slightly overstocking a tank. How does that sound?

If you stock it gradually and keep up on maintenance, I see no issues unless you get one of the really large platy lines.

Thanks!!
I am also thinking of a Dwarf Gourami instead... That lightens the stocking by 8%, so that's pretty good. They're really pretty and make a great centerpiece fish. Thoughts?
PS: thanks btw for being so helpful

Dragonfish's points are totally accurate. Even GPH is a guess as to how much it will handle. All guesses are based without knowing the actual flow rates, distribution of media, cleanliness, etc. So it comes down to speculation & actual experience. Two things yet to be programmable.
most companies put the gph max possible for the pump. they dont even talk about how it works in the filter with the media. even then its very basic.

those types of sites though i am not a fan can give some of the basic non compatibility though in the end it comes down to how good of info they get. one thing i dont like about it and all those stupid rules while it does make things easier a lot of people stop there not to go on to understand why. i also think people should try things for their self. i have seen many people tell someone with in reason that this or that dont work yet know others who have kept them fine. there more to fish keeping then tossing them in the box with water.

i voted other since i wasnt happy with any of the other options to vote for.

on another note i am also glad i clicked that link in firefox with adblock going lol.

Sometimes they tell me I need WAY more filtration capacity- but I mean come on, a 30g filter on a 20g tank is plenty. So when it comes to that, they are pretty off.

That's a silly statement. By your theory I could run a 20G aquarium with a 40g filtration system with however many fish I want, say 15 goldies and 3 common plecos, and be ok. As stated, just b/c your filter is rated for more than the quantity of water your tank holds doesn't mean it's rated for the bioload your stock may produce.

That's a silly statement. By your theory I could run a 20G aquarium with a 40g filtration system with however many fish I want, say 15 goldies and 3 common plecos, and be ok. As stated, just b/c your filter is rated for more than the quantity of water your tank holds doesn't mean it's rated for the bioload your stock may produce.

Oh nooooo I am not at all saying that because I have a little extra filtration I can stock the tank however I please!! Haha no, I am not that ignorant. I just mean that before I even start stocking my tank it already tells me I need a better filter. regardless of if I have 1 neon, or 20 neons, it "yells" at me for my filtration.

i think it assumes you are going to fully stock your tank.

This.

And in your case, I now understand. :) Makes more sense now.

It's a good basis but nothing replaces first hand experience and knowledge. That goes with anything in life.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom