Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 11-10-2011, 12:21 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
TheCrazyFishLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 1,942
What to do with dead fish?

Alright, this is going to be a weird thread...

I was curious, if anyone has done anything interesting with their fish when they have passed on. I was thinking about this because my bettas and my flowerhorn are very dear to my heart. I couldn't just flush them or throw them in the trash.

One of my friends in particular keeps scorpions and tarantulas, amoung lots of reptiles. Whenever one of his scorpions or tarantulas passes away, he freezes them and then puts them in a resin mold (like those necklaces or key chains).

I think this would be neat to do with a fish. Or maybe mount it? Or bury it with a headstone?

I'm most likely the only weird-o that is thinking this, but does anyone have any thoughts?
__________________

__________________
55gPLANTED:Rainbows/Loaches/Garras|30gVIV:Crestie|20gL:Leos|10g:Pearl Fighter|5g:Betta|5gChi:Spark Gourami/Badis|5g:ADF|2.5g:Betta|2.5g:Betta|
TheCrazyFishLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:24 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrazyFishLady
Alright, this is going to be a weird thread...

I was curious, if anyone has done anything interesting with their fish when they have passed on. I was thinking about this because my bettas and my flowerhorn are very dear to my heart. I couldn't just flush them or throw them in the trash.

One of my friends in particular keeps scorpions and tarantulas, amoung lots of reptiles. Whenever one of his scorpions or tarantulas passes away, he freezes them and then puts them in a resin mold (like those necklaces or key chains).

I think this would be neat to do with a fish. Or maybe mount it? Or bury it with a headstone?

I'm most likely the only weird-o that is thinking this, but does anyone have any thoughts?
Bury them?
__________________

__________________
Gboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:27 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
TheCrazyFishLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 1,942
Sure. Why would you prefer burial?
__________________
55gPLANTED:Rainbows/Loaches/Garras|30gVIV:Crestie|20gL:Leos|10g:Pearl Fighter|5g:Betta|5gChi:Spark Gourami/Badis|5g:ADF|2.5g:Betta|2.5g:Betta|
TheCrazyFishLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:32 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrazyFishLady
Sure. Why would you prefer burial?
Flushing a fish seems so..careless? Haha and im not sure of any other ways!
__________________
Gboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:34 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
TheCrazyFishLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 1,942
I can see that. I haven't had to flush a fish in awhile. Only casualties have been my killies and a few danios that jumped. They all went into the trash...

But, I couldn't find anything about putting a fish in a mold. I'm wondering if that is a viable alternative.
__________________
55gPLANTED:Rainbows/Loaches/Garras|30gVIV:Crestie|20gL:Leos|10g:Pearl Fighter|5g:Betta|5gChi:Spark Gourami/Badis|5g:ADF|2.5g:Betta|2.5g:Betta|
TheCrazyFishLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:40 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrazyFishLady
I can see that. I haven't had to flush a fish in awhile. Only casualties have been my killies and a few danios that jumped. They all went into the trash...

But, I couldn't find anything about putting a fish in a mold. I'm wondering if that is a viable alternative.
Ya..the only fish i have lost lately have been due to stupid reasons (eel swimming into powerhead intake)

That is a good idea! Make like a necklace out of the molds hahah
__________________
Gboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:43 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
TheCrazyFishLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 1,942
Oh no! I'm so sorry!

It does sound interesting. I was thinking maybe framing the molds? I think that would be so interesting.

And I just thought of putting them in a jar. I have a baby something shark in a jar that my friend gave me. Only problem is, they would eventually break up.
__________________
55gPLANTED:Rainbows/Loaches/Garras|30gVIV:Crestie|20gL:Leos|10g:Pearl Fighter|5g:Betta|5gChi:Spark Gourami/Badis|5g:ADF|2.5g:Betta|2.5g:Betta|
TheCrazyFishLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:46 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrazyFishLady
Oh no! I'm so sorry!

It does sound interesting. I was thinking maybe framing the molds? I think that would be so interesting.

And I just thought of putting them in a jar. I have a baby something shark in a jar that my friend gave me. Only problem is, they would eventually break up.
Ya, i think it would be depressing to see the actuall fish, but if i had a sort of caste of it, that would be a good way to remember the special ones.
__________________
Gboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:09 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Obsessed
 
Mumma.of.two's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sunny Queensland, Australia
Posts: 11,132
Not a good idea to flush dead fish. If they died of a disease it can be introduced into nature. (Assuming it's not already there).

When a fish dies that's close to me I wrap it in tissue and bury it in a pot plant. Or they go in the trash :p
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:20 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
MrPillow's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Corpus Christ, TX
Posts: 396
Surely waste-water from flushing a toilet goes through extreme measures to ensure it is safe to be released into nature at a water treatment plant? Or at least I'd hope so LOL

I've always been a fan of a good cremation. Make a nice campfire, give him a little wooden box (cedar cigars boxes work well, and smell rather nice in a fire as well...), and send him on his way back to nature.
__________________

__________________
MrPillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dead, dead fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article: What You Should Know About Fish Nutrition Fishguy2727 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 14 02-01-2012 09:41 AM
heater help! dead fish tarpon Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 10 10-22-2011 12:27 PM
Dead fish! Chris22 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 16 10-10-2011 08:41 AM
HELP!!! --- Cloudy tank & dead fish lyn54 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 16 08-17-2011 09:45 PM
PWC and Prime Mumma.of.two Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 75 08-12-2011 01:50 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.