What to do with dead fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In England (i believe) a group of students wanted to show how we treat some animals like royalty and how we just raise other for meet so they ate a cat.

They went all out and got a chef to prepare it to. He said the meat was kinda like rabbit and prepared it like it was one. They made either the paper or magazine but I cannot remember. I watched a tv show about it probably a year ago.

Have you ever had a dog? I could never eat a cat or a dog, even a horse or a rabbit. I used to want to try rabbit until I had one as a pet.

WhiteWolf said:
Have you ever had a dog? I could never eat a cat or a dog, even a horse or a rabbit. I used to want to try rabbit until I had one as a pet.

Horse meat is awesome! Wish it was easier to get in the UK, had it last time in France.

take it to the pet store. Scoop out a live one and throw the dead one in. If they catch onto you just tell them that it looks as if its a bit more of their problem and a lot less of yours.

All I can say is, Aquarium Advice has come a lonnnnnngg way even from a few years ago!!

A topic like this one came up in the past and it was heated, hot, and unpleasant. Many members were fire-eyed and very outspoken when it came to the subject of what to do with your aquarium fish once they pass on.

Personally, I feel its a personal choice and every pet owner has their reasons and do what they do to help themselves best cope with the loss of a pet. If you flush, bury, cremate, preserve - thats your thing, then who am I to judge?

Chriznat20 said:
All I can say is, Aquarium Advice has come a lonnnnnngg way even from a few years ago!!

A topic like this one came up in the past and it was heated, hot, and unpleasant. Many members were fire-eyed and very outspoken when it came to the subject of what to do with your aquarium fish once they pass on.

Personally, I feel its a personal choice and every pet owner has their reasons and do what they do to help themselves best cope with the loss of a pet. If you flush, bury, cremate, preserve - thats your thing, then who am I to judge?

Well said:)

I use to flush my dead fish, never thinking about what killed them or if they were sick. But since reading and learning about possibly passing along disease or harming the native wild life, I now put them in an recycled butter container with a lid and place them in the trash.(I don't even know if this is better or not?) but I do know I'm not introducing sickness to local fishies!

reef-thief said:
take it to the pet store. Scoop out a live one and throw the dead one in. If they catch onto you just tell them that it looks as if its a bit more of their problem and a lot less of yours.

Is it common to carry fish to ur lfs. I take my dog but usually the finned friends stay at home. Lol.

Somebody said something about a dog so I had to put in my though but I did not realize it would get this bad. I apologize.
As for the return policy thing agree. But I haven't had that happen really other then one berry tetra which I was iffy about when it was netted. The next one was much better

Wow, this thread did get off topic. haha

I feel bad returning dead fish. I always feel like a murderer on trial. I attempted to have guppies once and every single one died. Had to return five dead guppies to Petco. They did not approve.

Anyway, I'm glad no one has had an issue with the previously discussed topics. Losing a pet is very hard and everyone deals with death differently. I'm not trying to knock any of the previous ideas, but trying to figure out the best ideas for preserving dead fish for their particular sizes.

Now, one thing tht I have seen is the differences between salt and fresh water fish. They dry out to be very different because of their scales and the oils and all.

Has anyone ever preserved a salt water fish? We've only discussed freshwater thus far and I think it would be interesting to see any differences with the other side.

Back
Top Bottom