Whats your favorite fish? What puts it there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beginner on the loose

Aquarium Advice Regular
What credentials can make 1 fish better than another? This is simply a conversation starter. I was just wondering what everyones favorite fish is, but even more important... what makes it better than the others? In your response please leave a detailed discription of your favorite fish including compatibility, coloring, and normal tank size etc. Feel free to debate over pros and cons of certain fish, thanks!:fish2:

I love peacock eels
Pros-. Get along with almost everything except other eels. Easy to take care of. Get up to 14". I think they need about a 40g tank, just my opinion I have one in a 20 but he's still a baby when he's about 8 months old I'm getting a 40g. Friendly, you can feed them by hand.
Cons- don't get aLong with other eels. Hide a lot.
Absolutely love them! I think their so cute! I showed my sis & she wanted to name him snake but I ended up naming him Kevin :)

I like betta splendens. They are beautiful, smart, and do their best alone or with small peaceful fish. They are a lot like me.

My favourite fish would have to be my panda Cories !
Pros: very active
Cute
Breed easily

Cons: sensitive to water quality

Gbr's
All that flashy color in a small package!
Once they pair up they're easy to breed.
They don't require large aquaria to house.
Big cichlid additude in a small fish.
Cons:
Sensitive to water quality.
May take them awhile to get it right spawning but once they do they're golden!

Red Belly Piranhas! I think they look awesome and feeding them is more fun than any other fish!
Cons they can be skittish if not kept in a proper school. And can only be kept with pacu, plecos, and I kept some with a leaf fish. They aren't as vicious as everyone thinks they are I could stick my hand in the tank and never get bit.

Also I like pretty much any cichlids because they are very colorful and have great personalities. I used to have a jack dempsey that would let me pet him! Also my current cichlids swim up to the front of the tank when I walk into the room when most other fish would swim away. Oscars are like fish dogs :D

I think that any fish that has grace while swimming, is a powerful swimmer, and has tools at its disposal for survival is amazing.

So, naturally, the African Brown knife. Agile, graceful, and has a weak electric organ to find its way around in the dark and locate food.

Catfish too, they have whiskers.

My all time favorite fish are my polka dot loaches!! just look at my profile pic lol.

Compatability: anything super peaceful.
Tank Size: min of 20 gal for 1 but should be kept in a group of at least 3 to see their true behavior!
Coloring: they are black with yellow- tan polka dots, hence the name!
Pros: avid bottom feeder, friendly, colorful, very active.
Cons: sometimes hard to find in LFSs, extremely hard to breed.... not cons but minor downsides!!

i love to watch these guys interact with eachother and my clown loach. i love to see their "loach fight" and they swim at all levels. wen swimming at the top they will dive bomb the food at the bottom, it is down right hillarious!!

I frickin love these fish!!!

My favorite are my green spotted puffers. I love them because they are so personable and active. They greet me at the glass, beg for food, and act like little aquatic puppies. They are always exploring their tank. However, they need brackish water and later in life they do best in saltwater, so you need to be prepared for that if you want them, they are also aggressive and need a species only tank. Mine get along well, but only because they were raised together and I got lucky. I am always on the lookout for aggression, in case I have to rehome some before they get hurt. They are sensitive to poor water quality and need hard shelled food to keep their teeth filed down. However, if you are willing to provide what they need, they are very rewarding pets. I absolutely adore mine, and they spurred me to start my first saltwater aquarium.

I love eels. They grab their food and shake it like little puppies lol...unfortunately, they grab other fish sometimes as well. I had one which survived two moves with me, a Senegal Bichir (commonly called a "dinosaur eel"). He was so personable when hungry lol...he would take food from my hand, and come over to check out what was for dinner when I would tap on the glass. Unfortunately, my learning curve meant he did not ultimately survive and I was devastated. Tried everything to save him. That was a couple of years ago, and eventually I became ready to risk loving an eel one more time. This one has already doubled from 4" to 8" in about a year, and is striped with what looks like a cross on the top of his head. The official breed name is "Polypterus Delhez" and he is really gorgeous...a lot less mean than my other one was *whew*. https://www.google.com/search?q=pol...oJ4ee8QTym-myCA&ved=0CEoQsAQ&biw=1600&bih=775

my favorite fish is Oscars!!! they have such diverse personalities, are intilegent, and bond to their ppl. i have a 10 inch albino tiger and 2 inch tiger right now. i like plecos 2, and have 2 of them, in opposite colors of their oscar friends. both grow large, and while pleco get along with everyone except sometimes other plecos, oscars can generally only be kept with plecos as the are highly aggressive, highly territorial, predatory fish. but i still love mine and will always be on the lookout for a 125 g for my babies!!!

Angelfish, with pearl gourami as a close second. When it comes down to it the angelfish have more personality in my eyes. I love their shape and the way they just kind of glide through the water. I have 2 angelfish in a 40 that I watched grow from quarter sized to about 6 inches from top to bottom. It's true they were poor swimmers when they were small but now they have no problem zipping around when food is involved.

My favourite has to be the red tail catfish, stunning looking fish, very well adapted to its natural environment and just amazing power! Just a shame they grow way beyond what most people can even hope to house :( my favourite fish that is available to most people is probably split between betta's or German blue rams, both striking looking fish and full of personality especially in a community.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom