Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-02-2005, 07:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to lyquidphyre
What's your printer?

I'm looking into buying a new printer. I purchased a Lexmark Z605 a few years ago when I needed to print out a paper for class and this thing sucks up ink like it's a vacuum.

I bought a new black ink cartrige two or three weeks ago and now I need a new one (and i don't print all that much to begin with).

I tried to look at the amazon.com reviews for printers but there are just so many kinds that are way out of my budget.

What kind of printers do ya'll have/use? I need something simple that doesn't eat ink like it's candy.

Old 12-02-2005, 07:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Canon printers are usually good on ink, HP printers print better IMO,but do use more ink than Canon. Had a Lexmark as well and found the same thing, went through ink like crazy. I am using a HP at home now and for average printing needs the ink lasts a while and it doesn't dry out the way some printer inks do. Had a Xerox at work and if you didn't use the ink every week (colors) the ink dried out and was no good. Overall I like my HP the best. Of course the best on ink is laser but way way too expensive.

AA Community Rules | AA TOS

Site Administrator
Old 12-02-2005, 07:59 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Although I love the Dell "All-in-One" (Printer/scanner), you can only get the ink replaced by Dell. Which only means you cannot comparison shop.

I will be checking out the new All-in-One from Lexmark. Has the same features but I won't be a slave to one ink source.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
I have an HP 6122. I dont find it to be an ink hog.
From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
I use an HP DeskJet 930 and it can print photo quality prints if you have the proper type of paper. Ink cartriges are available practically everywhere where they sell office supplies. I would recommed you stick with the HP ink cart., because I tried these refurbishing kits.... The pits!!!

Anyway, as usual, I talk too much.

Vote Here for Aquarium Advice
Old 12-02-2005, 08:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to RoK Send a message via MSN to RoK
HP PSC 2110xi, it's a printer/scanner/copier and is quite good with ink. I agree about the lexmark. I also had an Epson which seemed to use up ink very quick as well.
Current fish (includes all 3 running tanks): Polypterids, severums (of which I raised from eggs), gouramis, plecos (gold spot ones & a gurupa), loaches (zebras, yoyos, & a kubotai), macculocchi spotted silver dollars, an African butterfly fish, & Ctenopomas (a leopard & an ansorgii)
Old 12-02-2005, 08:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
I've always been a fan of Cannon but this last one I bought is a Brother brand. It's a printer/scanner/copier/fax all in one. It's been a really nice printer. So, I would recommend either one, a Cannon or Brother printer.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:00 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
I've only used Epson printers. My current printer is a stylus photo R300. I've found that the Epson printers really suck down ink during the head cleaning cycle, although the R300 isn't half as bad as other Epsons I've owned.

If you mostly print B/W, a laser printer would be the most economical long term; but the initial outlay would be at least 4X the cost of an excellent color inkjet.

Check out www.epinions.com for printer reviews. People there really gripe about models that suck down ink.

I buy my genuine Epson ink cartridges at a wholesale club store (BJs or Costco). They charge less than half the price! You can get good deals online too.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:51 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
Cannon S800. nice job and easy on ink.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:40 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

I'll give another vote to the HP printers. I have an HP DeskJet 5550. I got it at the beginning of 2003 and I've never had a complaint with it.

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com