When a book is supposed to be great and it stinks!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

talloulou

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just read The Turn of the Screw by Henry James. It's supposed to be one of the best ghost stories ever told but I thought it really stank! It wasn't just the tedious run on sentences and 3 page long paragraphs either. It wasn't even the dreadful snotty language. The book plain old stunk every which way you considered it. Why it's such a well known "classic" I'll never be able to guess. As far as it being the "best ghost story ever written"....please! The first chapter is spent building you up for the greatest fireside ghost story ever and then the book just turns to crap. Especially the ending.....crap.

What's the scariest book you ever read????

And no votes for Henry James or my head will explode.

I know what you mean... I got a VERY recommended book a while back and I couldn't even read the first page without dosing off....

I like anything scary or make believe or whatever... most of the not well known authors have the best books. SOme of the greater ones just do it for money after a while and there writing abilites kind of dry up.

I personally like goosebumps books lol. Short and swwet and gets right to the piont but also gives you a great sense of suspense and all that.

I think the other author was john paul or something...I really liked his shadows book.

I know what you mean, one of Stephen King's best suppossedly is Misery. I got 1/3 through the book before I just gave, hopin' it would get better, it just didn't. I believe teh scariest book I've read is Stephen Kings IT I love it I read it once every two years or so.

Never been able to make through a Stephen King book.... I really dislike his style but the stories make great screen plays.

I don't really read horror/scary books but this was definatly an interesting read. By far the scariest thing I've ever read. It's not fully complete because the link on the last page is broken but IMO its very good and it is supposedly true. Its a journal about a guy and his buddy who go into a cave and find... Well I won't ruin it for you but IMO its a good read. Here's the link.

http://www.holyshiite.com/caver/page1.html

Flutterby21782 said:
I know what you mean, one of Stephen King's best suppossedly is Misery.[/quite]

It is up there...because it is so believable...his best stuff he wrote as "Bachmann".

I believe teh scariest book I've read is Stephen Kings IT I love it I read it once every two years or so.

IT started well, but completely went to ruin about 2/3 through.

I like James' "Turn of the Screw", but it is deep and psychological.

My faves include HP Lovecraft, Clive Barker, etc.

H.P. Lovecraft, Dunwich Horror. John Belairs was great when I was younger, the books are still good just not quite so scary to me now.

JG,
With the exception of a few movies, most of Stephen King's books to movies are horrible. It (if you have read the book keep in mind it was a made for TV movie), The Stand, The Shining (TV movie from 1997ish), Pet Semetery, The Green Mile, The Langoliers, Chattery Teeth (from Quicksilver Highway), The Shawshenk Redemption, and Stand By Me (based on the novella The Body); are among the best book to movie adaptions. I have heard Misery is a good adaption, I have not read all of the book, never bothered to watch the movie.
The Running Man being the absolute worst adaption. Dreamcatcher I find is another horrible adaption.
I have read most of Stephen King's work, have watched many of the movies too. This is based on my personal opinion. To me all the other movies fall into varying degrees of mediocrity.

LiquidPhyre, to this day I still can not read IT alone at night, same is true with Pet Semetery.

i love the book dreamcatcher. It was very hard to understand at times and i skipped about 30 pages ( didn't really miss anyhting lol) but it was overall pretty good.

But the movie sucked so bad...the skipped ALL the good parts and it was the most confusing thing ever.

I also like michael crichtons books too.

I do like Michael Crichton books alot too. I have seen very few movies based on his books though. Even though they left a lot out and changed stuff I did like Jurassic Park.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom