Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-06-2010, 04:23 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well I'll hope you'll be better than the guy I heard at Pets at Home the other day
"You don't want to change more than 20% of the water because the beneficial bacteria lives in the water and you'll be taking 20% of that out! You'll need to leave it a week before you do another change to give the bacteria time to grow again. "

135 litre (35 US gallons) 6 Black Widow Tetra; 3 Mollies; 3 Bronze Cory; 1 Pygmy Cory; 6 Gold Barbs
27 litre (7 US gallons) 6 Guppies.
Mark Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:14 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Wow. Gotta love the misinformation employees tell new people...

55gPLANTED:Rainbows/Loaches/Garras|30gVIV:Crestie|20gL:Leos|10g:Pearl Fighter|5g:Betta|5gChi:Spark Gourami/Badis|5g:ADF|2.5g:Betta|2.5g:Betta|
TheCrazyFishLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:47 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by HN1 View Post
I think it's a great idea for anyone into fishkeeping to get a good view of the "other side". Experiences definitely vary from store to store and with the personnel. Even if you learn what not to do in your aquatic future, you've learned while earning some cash right?

Mark- While I tend to agree with you on the chain stores, it's hard to cast such a wide net. There are many responsible LFS owners and operators out there. When you are talking about publicly traded corporations, it should not surprise anyone that profit is the primary and often only motivation.
its a very good idea.... you think have it bad having to deal with the lfs workers wait until you have to deal with customers. people quickly forget we are the minority. most people who keep fish will never have a clue how it works will never go to a fish site. with out those large stores bringing in new fish keepers and pumping money into the industry. they might kill fish but they do add lots to it. with out all those places prices would go up.
mgamer20o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:19 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I haven't worked in one before but I have a great story about a kid in a LFS.

When I visited this place for the first time I got a bad vibe because it didn't seem anyone cared a customer was in the building. Then this kid came up to me that looked no more than 15 years old and asked if I needed anything. It was the first of 3 LFS I was going to check out because I like to do a lot of investigating before spending a large amount of money.

Instead of judging a book by its cover I decided to see what he knew. [I'll jump ahead to my point] ... I walked out of there with everything I needed to start my tank: 27lb LR, sand, salt, dechlorinator, and even a 10% discount. I was completely shocked at how much this guy knew. It's like he grew up living in a LFS. He told me that he had been working there for 4 years and when he started he didn't know a thing about fish, he said the first year he just listened and now he's fluent.

You will learn a lot. As with any new subject, you just need an interest and a willingness to learn.

uscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com