You might be an aquarium nerd if...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You enjoy the smell of a nice, wet, mature aquarium. It will always be the best smell in the world to me :)

~ExoticAquarist, signing out

When I'm stressing over what I can do with 2 empty 10 gallons I have laying around.......I think I'm going crazy.

When im taking video of my discus spawning so i can better understand their behaviours. Lol.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

When I'm stressing over what I can do with 2 empty 10 gallons I have laying around.......I think I'm going crazy.

That's an easy one: Fill 'em up with all your finned friends!

When im taking video of my discus spawning so i can better understand their behaviours. Lol.

Good to hear! Have you ever bred and sold discus?

Nice! Is the one in the pic the mom or dad, or both? I still need to work on my discus sexing skills.

How early can they be sexed?

Caleb

Alot like angelfish, its never really 100% for me until i see them in the act. This pair just formed a week or so ago. Im only positive because i watched him fertilize the eggs. And watchef her lay them. There are "signs" of dif sexes, but its tough without seeing them spawn. Im sure someone out there has figured it out 100% but that person isnt me unfortunately. I started breeding them 7yrs ago or so. Figure i would know by now. Lol ?

The best way i know how, for me that is. Is when they start to get in the mood. Their breeding tubes will drop slightly. Itll drop More and more as they go. Now the female will have a slightly bigger tube. This is because she has to push eggs out.

Lol I was wrong. I couldn't see the breeding tube so I judged it on the dorsal fin (it looks rounded without the trails coming out of it) and the forehead (I have read that males will have a slight bulge, but not a full-on nuchal hump). That's about where my discus sexing knowledge ends.

Now some of my Hyphessobrycon sp. "HY511" are spawning as we speak. It's been going on for a couple hours now. They just decided to start right in my community tank. I'm gonna make no effort to save the eggs, it's just interesting to watch.

Now some of my Hyphessobrycon sp. "HY511" are spawning as we speak. It's been going on for a couple hours now. They just decided to start right in my community tank. I'm gonna make no effort to save the eggs, it's just interesting to watch.

You are a nerd if you can spell that correctly by memory.

Caleb

Every time someone asks a basic question of fish keeping (nitrogen cycle, plants and ferts, why can't we buy this common Pleco, etc.) You explain to them literally everything and every detail.

Back
Top Bottom