10 gallon hex plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bradalucas123

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am new to the hobby and i recently purchase a ten gallon hex tank. I want to grow some plants in the tank. It only came with a 12inch 20watt fluro. Is this going to be ok? If not any links on upgrading something like this would be appreciated. Also i had a question on substrate. Is it a must?

It only came with a 12inch 20watt fluro.

It will be fine for low/medium light plants. you have 2 watts per gallon, thats not bad. high light plants need 3-4 wpg.

get some low growing plants, java fern, anubias, java moss. No amazon swords they get way too big.

Planted tanks will do better with a special substrate. Fluorite is supposed to be the best, but it's pricey. I reccomend Schultz Aquatic Plant soil, available at Depot, Lowe's, Walmart, 6-8 bucks a bag, 1 bag will be more than enough for a10 gallon. go for 2-3 inches depth of substrate.

Since i havnot set it up yet should i be aware of any special things as far as cycling. With adding the aquatic soil. Are the plants going to be helpful in cycling the tank? Not sure if i want to do fishless or fish cycling yet. Which do you guys think would be better?

aq soil is ph neutral will not affect ph.

Cycle, if you plant heavy from the beginning, you may get a "silent" cycle. never see ammonia, or nitrite, suddenly 2-4 weeks in, you have nitrate. this is because plants will readily uptake all the ammonia, and nitrite. confused me big time when doing my first plant tank.

my recommendation, do fishless cycle, complete cycle, then add plants and fish. lots of plants, fish a few at a time. this should a) give you confidence that the cycle is complete, and b) have plants in the tank when the fish get there, the fish will be happier.

Back
Top Bottom