20 gal long planted?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zelilaa

Aquarium Advice Regular
Good medium to low light plants for a 20 gal long? I'm getting zebra danios, adfs, and platys in the tank :cool:

thanks^^ anyone have any specific ideas? i have a pair of scissors for trimming :p i like things that grow fast and tall. aka- background plants and for the side. The front middle im leaving empty for more swim and bottom room.

+1 for the shorter plants. I'm constantly having to trim my water sprite and anacharis in my 20L because it grows too quickly and blocks out light to the lower parts of the plant. I could probably trim the tank twice a week and I'm running 36W of CFL, no CO2, and Flourish once a week. Nothing fancy.

I like java ferns. They grow quickly in decent conditions, but they don't really need trimming and you can plant the baby ferns and cover your tank with them.

It is not a true aquatic, but will grow submerged. It is a vigorous nitrate eater, and may outcompete other plants for nutrients.

Personally, I really like crypts for lowlight aquariums. Most varieties are pretty easy to grow and they come in a very wide range of heights, colors and many spread quickly once established.

What are crypts?
Also- thank you for the tip on moneywort. I had tried it once before and failed. Forget that plant!
I love the look of marimo balls. You know the ones they sell at petco that float and are attached to fishing wire and a wieght to keep them at a certain level? Are those true marimo balls?

What are crypts?
Also- thank you for the tip on moneywort. I had tried it once before and failed. Forget that plant!
I love the look of marimo balls. You know the ones they sell at petco that float and are attached to fishing wire and a wieght to keep them at a certain level? Are those true marimo balls?

Those aren't real marimo balls. Those are usually corks covered with a moss. The real ones lay on the bottom of your tank (unless you have a good filter that moves them, or fish that play with them like mine) Here's a real one.

PlantGeek.net - Cladophora aegagrophila

Crypts, and moss are good. Sagittarria Subulata is what I think I have or it may be Mondo grass. Hard to identify from pictures but it is one of the two. I would really like to know because this is the easiest aquatic plant that I have taken care of. It actually has been growing with bare minimum light, no fert or special substrate.

Lotus plants, especially Tiger Lotus is a fast grower in low light and a good substrate.

It would really help to know what lighting you're using. If it's low lighting, you don't have a huge selection. Most plants like 1.5+ watts per gallon. Java ferns will do well in low lighting, they don't grow too tall and if they do you can just trim them, they reproduce so you can start with a couple and then spread them around. Moneywort requires a good amount of lighting. Also, make sure you have a good bulb with the proper light spectrum. What all plants are you interested in? Obviously since it's a 20g long, tall plants are almost out of the question.

Hemianthus family plants, baby tears, need fairly high light and definately benefits from CO2.

It would really help to know what lighting you're using. If it's low lighting, you don't have a huge selection. Most plants like 1.5+ watts per gallon. Java ferns will do well in low lighting, they don't grow too tall and if they do you can just trim them, they reproduce so you can start with a couple and then spread them around. Moneywort requires a good amount of lighting. Also, make sure you have a good bulb with the proper light spectrum. What all plants are you interested in? Obviously since it's a 20g long, tall plants are almost out of the question.

these are the ones im considering-

Plant Details
Plant Details
Plant Details
Plant Details
Plant Details
Plant Details
:B-fly:

The last four will do well in a tank that size. I would be careful about mixing them all. They look like they prefer different ph ranges. You need to be running between 30-40watts of lighting for all those plants. Look on your aquarium bulb and tell us the wattage.

Derrr.... I'll have to check next time i go to petco! XD
I haven't bought the aquarium or the supplies yet. I'm not setting it up until summer. I just like everything planned ahead of time. But the lighting requirements are not such a big issue to me, because once I pick what plants, I'll make sure to get the perfect lighting for them!

How about going with the echinodorus amazonicus (amazon sword plant) instead of that bleheri? The leaves are thinner and won't make your tank look small.

Back
Top Bottom