20 Gal Planted build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Zach. I am impressed with the chain sword growth. There is something new to see everyday with those plants as they are constantly sending out new shoots.

I like the white substrate but I've fallen in love with darker substrates recently...My next tank is totally going to be something darker like the black eco-complete in your 65 gal build.

Thanks! i wanted to use a substrate for planted tanks and flourite was to messy and aqua soil lets ammonia out so i want with the eco-complete and it is working out nice!

Really great! You went from newb to pro in record time :) :)

Idk about the "pro" part, but thank you...I am learning from the best. ;)

Everything is cooperating atm...wait until I have algae issues or something of the sort and I come begging for help. lol :D

Coleallensmom said:
Thank you, Tracey! :)

I have to agree..the fake plants just aren't anything like the real thing!

Real all the way nice tank pal very well thought out, I'm jealous need more tanks lol :)

Weekly photo update. Rotala nearly to the top of the tank. Everything else looking great. Have developed some brown and green algae on the two large rocks. Oddly enough, I've seen no alage elsewhere in the tank. My nerite snail is thoroughly enjoying himself cleaning the rocks and they now have a crazy patchy look. You can see where he has cleaned and where he hasn't yet. lol

img_1227539_0_244163a11079d8ff43e8e3439492198b.jpg

Have developed some brown and green algae on the two large rocks.

I would try to remove as much as you can before it really gets going. I find it way easier to do weekly algae scrubbing/removal than to wait it out and see if you can balance it out with ferts or co2.

My nerite snail has the worst of it eaten off..should I still scrub them? The only algae I've had before this was mild diatoms, so I don't have any sort of brush etc. to scrub them with on hand. I have more nerites in my bigger tank..I could always move another one over to this tank for a while I guess.

Sounds like a trip to the dollar store is in your future... I bought a pack of cheap toothbrushes to use as algae scrubbers. Once they get nasty I just toss them.

Weekly photo update. Rotala has now reached the the top of the tank. Remaining Hygro bunch growing very well..Trimmed a branch off and planted to replace the other Hygro plant I lost a while back. Chain sword still growing like crazy; Added another small bunch that I took from my 37 gal because it was doing poorly in that tank. DHG is showing tons of new green shoots. Nerite snail saved me the trouble of having to scrub the rocks...s/he's scraped them clean for now.

img_1235740_0_efb4f7f45cd89cf55c18e4d5902866d1.jpg

img_1235740_1_9e51b53629089650f6a82ffee7a0e5a8.jpg

Looks very nice!

I think something with a little color might look really good right in front of the rocks. There are some reddish varieties of crypts that would do well, and don't grow ridiculously tall.

I honestly was just thinking the same thing yesterday. I think I need something to break up the height of the Rotala in the middle of the tank. The sides of the tank have plenty of activity, but there is nothing in the middle besides the Rotala. Any specific suggestions? I have a Red Wendtii on the right side of the tank but so far it's not grown in height; just has added more leaves.

Any idea why my Rotala doesn't have the red hue in this tank like it does in my 37 gal?

The red is all about higher lighting and low nitrates... maybe the smaller tank has more more nitrate available than the 37?

Back
Top Bottom