29g species tank build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scarthell

Aquarium Advice Activist
So the time has come to add another tank to my living room (up to 4 now and my wife is still crazy about me, so things are going well).

I got a smoking deal on a 29g setup. $150 for a Marineland stand and 29g tank, finnex fugeray planted plus, glass lid, aquaclear 70, 1L seachem matrix, heater and air pump.

I also found a fish I've been wanting for awhile. A characodon species native to Mexico. Specifically, "Puente Pino Suarez" a livebearer goodeid. If you're into small fish like I am, you'll love these guys. Also critically endangered and likely no longer existing in the wild.

I wanted to focus on species that were somewhat local and also endangered. Unfortunately it's so hot I'm Az right now that I have to wait a few months for shipping.

In any case it gives me time to condition and setup their new home. I will try to post a profile for them soon.

I'm not sticking to the biotope for this fish as its found in the desert with weed like plants and not much else. Instead I'm going with Red Root Floaters and Susswasertang (so far). I want to add something else but I'm not sure what yet. The fry will need a bit of protection but not too much, so I was considering guppy grass, but it looks "messy" from pictures I've seen.

Also I am forgoing the gravel/sand/silt mixed substrate as is normally found in their habitat and doing just sand.

They also are found in mostly still water, but research has shown these particular fish like aeration, so I'm adding a powerhead with sponge filter.

For my other tanks I just cut an AC110 filter in half and stuck it on the intake of the main filter, but this tank is smaller so I'm not sure it will look good, but I'm going to try it anyway. Last week when we were on vacation, there was a power outtage and it lasted an entire day. So I was glad I had two large sponge filters in all my tanks.

Let me know what you think of the setup so far and any suggestions for plants. I'd like to stay away from java fern, anubias, and moneywort as I have tons in my other tanks.

Thanks for looking!

Sent from my D6708 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1467757873890.jpg
    1467757873890.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 103
  • 1467757884183.jpg
    1467757884183.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 106
I'm requesting recent photos of them from the breeder. Other than that, there are SOME pictures online but not many. I think there may be one YouTube video out there of PPS but it's low quality.

That is an amazing deal for the set up! I bet that was exciting to be able to snatch that up!

I love your aquascape. Your hardscape looks really nice. I love species only tanks, so I'm excited to see how this turns out :)

For plants, what about water sprite, water wisteria, dwarf sag, asian ambulia (limnophila sessliflora) or bacopa australis?

I'm just trying to think of plants that have fine leaves that would give lots of fry coverage :0)

New plants!

Okay so I got a few plants and accessories in the mail this week!

In the corner I covered the output of the powerhead with a media bag filled with sponge to reduce the flow but allow aeration. I also switched the large sponge from the AC70 to the powerhead. It's working great so far.

I have ordered waaaaay too much red root floater, so I will be selling some off soon. But it does look really cool.

The Susswasertang looks good and I'm hoping to have it cover the entire surface of the substrate. The 20 or so shrimp I removed from my 55g are doing well also and with the Susswasertang should colonize quickly.

Here's to hoping all these plants don't melt away!!

Now I await the Bucephalandra var Hades I just bought from junglefowl! Attached to the center left area of the driftwood should bring things together.

Nevermind the white stone, it's just there to keep the wood submerged until it soaks in enough water to stay put.

So the next questions are: do I need a second led light? And what do I need to have an outdoor floating plant nursery with mosquito fish...(and how do I convince my wife it's what I need)?

Crappy pics with brights and moonlights

Attachments

• 1467923403313.jpg
    1467923403313.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 1467923416687.jpg
    1467923416687.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 83
For the subwassertang you should not need a second light. Not sure what the buces need light wise.
I have a Finnex 24/7 dimmed down to the lowest (or second lowest) setting on a 20g long and the subwassertang and moss are fine. I reduced it because of a string algae issue.
When I first got subwassertang, it fragmented into dozens and dozens of small pieces. Those eventually grew accustomed to the conditions are took off. In my shrimp tank, it has overtaken the moss.
I also had excess amounts of red root floaters. I sold most of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok cool. Glad to hear the Susswasertang will be fine. Does it make cleaning the tank difficult? I don't usually vacuum my sand but in the other tank I have cory and they stir up the debris enough that it gets pulled into the filter. This tank won't have any cory.

The Buces need medium light to grow best from what I've been reading, but if they are like anubias, the shade from the floaters should be fine.

Is there a picture of your tank somewhere I can look? I'd like to see what Susswasertang looks like after its taken over a 20gallon.

Ok cool. Glad to hear the Susswasertang will be fine. Does it make cleaning the tank difficult? I don't usually vacuum my sand but in the other tank I have cory and they stir up the debris enough that it gets pulled into the filter. This tank won't have any cory.
Is there a picture of your tank somewhere I can look? I'd like to see what Susswasertang looks like after its taken over a 20gallon.

I don't vacuum my shrimp tank. I would imagine it would be tough to siphon near the substrate without sucking up some subwassertang. Some of the ones I have are anchored onto driftwood and moss; most are loose clumps (which makes them easy to move).
Here is a pic from a couple months back:
PRJbeQIh.jpg

Along with subwassertang is Fissidens fontanus, red moss, and flame moss.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Holy Moss tank, Batman!.:) That's cool. I will only have the sub in there, along with some mini pelia that was included.

That red moss would look good against my white sand though.

There are 4 males and 6 females. Only 2 males will color up at a time. Something to do with dominance. There aren't any proven breeding pairs yet but the females are juveniles right now.

Not many people keep this fish, so I'm still working on the profile and will post it soon.

this is the life.

Back
Top Bottom