3 gallon pico scape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arklatex

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all, I've been wanting to get a betta for a while now and recently saw a good deal on a sw pico tank kit from Dr F+S. I went ahead and got the tank which came with a mini HOB and a 9W clamp on light. Total cost for the kit was $42. I also added some other essentials which came out to approximately $75. See below.

Tank: JBJ Picotope 3 gallon
Filter: JBJ Mini HOB 40gph with flow control
Light: 9W coralife 6700k daylight
Heat: Hydor 7.5W slim
Substrate: Fluval stratum
Hardscape: Small seiryu stones leftover from the 11.4 and manzanita twig

Planned plants: HC carpet in front
Java Ferns in rear
Manzanita twig with java moss or anubias nana

Planned animals: Betta
RCS Maybe..

img_2495748_0_2fb550e2de4e27af8e3f1668b6fdd714.jpg

img_2495748_1_240318d0f265df11e953be755951c194.jpg

img_2495748_2_18f256964917147089dbf52cd30ebc2d.jpg

img_2495748_3_918d23bf7352440caf895c745b032731.jpg

I have the following plant stock to work with. 3x 3" pots of HC. Some DHG. Java Fern. Java Moss. Wisteria and Elodea Densa. My hope is to carpet with HC but I'm not sure if the params will be right. The 3wpg should be good but what about co2? Maybe excel with diy sugar and yeast... Also of note is the light that came with the tank was 10k white plus 6k actinic for corals. I swapped the bulb for a 6700k "tropical bulb"

Sounds like you have more than enough to create a breathtaking pico. I really love mini tanks and I can't wait to see how this turns out. Good luck!

Oh and just a piece of advice, and I'm sure you already know this, but bettas and RCS have compatibility issues at times. I have tried several times to get bettas to coexist with RCS to no avail.

The RCS is just a thought. I have heard of compatibility problems though. I was thinking if the shrimp went in first and got somewhat established they might stand a chance.

I'd create crevices and spaces in which the betta couldn't reach. The carpet grass should do nicely in shielding them as well.

I wish you well in joining a betta and RCS. I lost one of my blue velvets and a sakura to my betta who didn't even have the courtesy to actually attack or eat them. He just stressed them out and chased them. And they had PLENTY of places to hide from him....they just...didn't.

I've got a tentative scape going now. I planted two of my HC pots and a few clumps of DHG. Looking at this I may not use the manzanita in this tank. You can see it on the right side of the tank. It may overwhelm it. I'm also leaning toward anubias over java fern. I think it would be nice as a specimen type plant. I think the betta would like it as well as a place to rest on top of like a natural "betta hammock" I may just keep my RCS where they're at now and think up another CUC like a snail... What do you guys think?

img_2496290_0_fcb5c8487cb3501d5d2c9deaddb505b1.jpg

Cool pico. I almost got that same tank on numerous occasions. So isn't HC pretty co2 needy? Are you going to inject co2 or see if liquid carbon will do the trick?

Cool pico. I almost got that same tank on numerous occasions. So isn't HC pretty co2 needy? Are you going to inject co2 or see if liquid carbon will do the trick?

My plan is to try it with liquid carbon and DIY together. I wish I could run paintball CO2 on my tanks but the closest refill I can find is a 2 hour round-trip (Shreveport, LA). Do you know of any-other places to refill a CO2 tank besides a paintball field or LFS? I may be able to find a closer refill if I know where to look..

A nice snail or two, mostly depends on Betta's personality, but I have heard the "horror" story over and over of a "NICE" Betta suddenly turning and killing all kinds of tank inhabitants.

Looking lovely.

You can try welding supply stores or if paintball, sports authority.

We don't have sports authority, but I didn't think of that. We have Academy and Gander MTN. They may have it. The place I found in Shreveport was a welding supply. I'm thinking it may be worth the 2 hr drive if I get a 5# tank, it should last awhile on the larger tank. Can the CO2 be split between 2 tanks or is it 1 bottle/regulator per tank? Thanks.

I've got a tentative scape going now. I planted two of my HC pots and a few clumps of DHG. Looking at this I may not use the manzanita in this tank. You can see it on the right side of the tank. It may overwhelm it. I'm also leaning toward anubias over java fern. I think it would be nice as a specimen type plant. I think the betta would like it as well as a place to rest on top of like a natural "betta hammock" I may just keep my RCS where they're at now and think up another CUC like a snail... What do you guys think?

I would do the anubias over java fern personally. Also, in my experience with bettas, they reside with snails much better than shrimp.

We don't have sports authority, but I didn't think of that. We have Academy and Gander MTN. They may have it. The place I found in Shreveport was a welding supply. I'm thinking it may be worth the 2 hr drive if I get a 5# tank, it should last awhile on the larger tank. Can the CO2 be split between 2 tanks or is it 1 bottle/regulator per tank? Thanks.

Well for a 2 hour drive, if you can fit a 10# or 15# tank to last a year that would be even better...lol

I know Aquatek sells a two and three line splitter for their full sized regulator. GLA has similar manifolds for their regulators as well. The manifolds have separate needle valves to control the flow to each aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom