Stocking Query: 12-14 gallon tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dcj

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Howdy AquariumAdvice!

I've joined a couple of fish forums in anticipation of setting up a couple of tanks with some species that I haven't kept before; I've had some really great advice from people but thought I'd repost here too as I'm trying to get as much advice and anecdotal experience, etc as possible.

I've kept fishtanks before so I wouldn't say I'm a newbie, but I'm not quite intermediate yet either. I've kept harlequin rasboras, pitbull plecs, betta fish, cherry and amano shrimp, cories (which I wasn't intending to breed but they did anyway) as well as livebearers (platies, swordtails and mollies) who bred like rabbits. All the tanks are going to be planted with driftwood and whatnot for hidey holes and things and of course everything will be cycled and the stats stable before I put anything in there. My water is pretty hard, although I won't know the exact number until my testing kit comes through, but I have access to soft water if I need it.

The first tank I'd love some feedback on is a 12.1 US gallon (19.5" long, 13" wide, 11" tall) with a Superfish Aqua Flow 200 internal filter and a Aqua One Clearview 280 HOB Filter. It's got a black background which I'm planning on keeping and matching with black substrate, and I'm probably going to plant it up with Vallis, Anubias Nana, Crypts, maybe some Java Fern, I'm not sure yet.

I put my wishlist for this tank into the fabled AqAdvisor as follows:

5 x Cherry Barb
2 x Peacock Gudgeons
3 x Sparkling Gourami

This gave me:

Estimated stock level: 91%
Aquarium Filtration Capacity: 320%

I was a bit uncomfortable with that stocking level so I removed one Sparkling Gourami and the stats became:

Estimated stock level: 85%
Aquarium Filtration Capacity: 353%

My queries are:

- Should I throw caution to the wind and keep the 3x Sparkling Gouramis? Single sex group?
- Should I go down from 2 and keep 1? Or would that be unfair to the gourami?
- Swinging the other way, could/should I go down to 1 Peacock Gudgeon?
- Do they do well as singles? And if not, would they be okay as 2 males?
- Alternatively, should I go up to 3 Peacock Gudgeons and 2 Sparkling Gouramis? Or 2 Peacock Gudgeons and 1 Sparkling Gourami?

I -might- be switching out the Cherry Barbs as I've been advised the tank might be a bit tight for them, but for now as it is, would the Cherry Barbs be okay if the Gouramis/Gudgeons spawn (I'm going to try to keep single sex pairings, unless the common consensus is that this will be more problematic than keeping potential breeding pairs alongside hiding places - I'm not looking to breed, but I'm preparing for if it happens): AqAdvisor is fretful over the issue but I haven't read that the Gudgeons would be anything but peaceful

Finally, what order should I start stocking in? Barb/Gourami/Peacock? Gourami/Barb/Peacock? A bit of each at a time?

I've done as much research as I can on the different types of fish and haven't seen much in the way of issues with those fish together; if anyone has any practical experience of the three together I would love to hear it, I'd be so grateful. I'm nervous about the Gudgeons, but nothing ventured nothing gained.

The second tank is a 14.2 US gallon bowfront (18" long, 13" high, 13/15" wide so I went with 14") with a Superfish Aqua Flow 400 internal filter, blue/white gravel which I'm going to rescape with ferts and sandy areas for cories. I'm going to plant this one up too, Java Fern and Anubias Nana, I'm not sure about anything else in there but that's subject to change. Hidey holes again, of course.

I'm thinking about

8 x Dainty Cory (habrosus)
5 x platies (?)

I'm struggling with the number of platies. AqAdvisor says:

Estimated Stock level: 95%
Aquarium Filtration Capacity: 452%

I'm less nervous about being high on the stock level because I'm more familiar with platies and cories, but I don't want them to be unhappy; would they be happier in a larger group, which I think wouldn't then fit into the tank? A single sex group is definitely an option - would this work? - but I have a back up plan for any fry that might come along.

Alternatively, does anyone have any other suggestions for fish that would cohabit with the cories in that tank? I'm looking around but I can't find anything I truly like. I'd like to stay away from guppies if possible, and I'm not sure about tetras but apart from neons I'm not completely writing them out. My LFS is pretty good about getting fish in for me if I ask them nicely, so I might be able to get some of the less available fish (I'm in the UK)

I'd appreciate any input you guys could give me, and apologise for the long post!

Thank you kindly and thank you for having me! :thanks:

Hi, welcome :)

I can sort of picture the stocking but I think would stock with half the fish types and see if that works first. Then add rest later.

I have one betta to a 5 gallon tank so kind of used to that stocking level in small tanks (although he has had visitors).

One to check is if any of the fish are flighty at the fish store as I've found little room in these size tanks if the fish decide to dart off. They just take off and have to slam on the brakes.

I love using Nano fish species in Nano tanks.

I love Cherry Barbs, but you might look at Ember Tetras instead ?

For the 14g ?
C habrosus are awesome fish.
I kept mine with Celestial Pearl Danios.
You could do 8-10 instead of Platies.

Or there are other Nano species that stay about an inch. I have had Featherfin
Rainbows as well.

Here is an old vid of my Nano fish.
Excuse cheesy music.
https://youtu.be/aptmdICahvM

Hi, welcome

I can sort of picture the stocking but I think would stock with half the fish types and see if that works first. Then add rest later.

I have one betta to a 5 gallon tank so kind of used to that stocking level in small tanks (although he has had visitors).

One to check is if any of the fish are flighty at the fish store as I've found little room in these size tanks if the fish decide to dart off. They just take off and have to slam on the brakes.

Hallo, thank you! :)

Thank you for your feedback! I've heard that the 18" long might be too short for C. habrosus, do you have any thoughts on that?

Visitors? lol, cute

That's a really good suggestion and one I haven't heard before, I'll take that into consideration.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it!

I love using Nano fish species in Nano tanks.

I love Cherry Barbs, but you might look at Ember Tetras instead ?

For the 14g ?
C habrosus are awesome fish.
I kept mine with Celestial Pearl Danios.
You could do 8-10 instead of Platies.

Or there are other Nano species that stay about an inch. I have had Featherfin
Rainbows as well.

Here is an old vid of my Nano fish.
Excuse cheesy music.
https://youtu.be/aptmdICahvM

There's a lot more out there than I thought there were

Do you think Cherry Barbs would be too cramped in there? What do you think about Cherry Barbs with an Angelfish in a much larger tank (I've got some space, I'm looking at around a 35gal, maybe more) in terms of compatibility? I could go for the barbs in that tank instead.

I've had a lot of recommendations for CPDs, I might start looking into them - I was looking at the Featherfins too! I've been told that they need a larger tank though, as well as the c. habrosus - what were your opinions on the matter?

Are the Featherfins easy to keep? Do you know what they could get along with? I'd consider maybe moving the cories into my 12 gal (for the longer length) and the peacock gudgeons into the other tank along with some featherfins? I was also looking at Norman's Lampeyes? I'm fretful

I love that vid, I think I've actually seen it on YouTube while researching, lol. It's not cheesy, it fits! :) That is an amazing tank! I hope mine looks as good when it's up and running

Thank you so much for commenting, I really appreciate your feedback :)

Hallo, thank you! :)

Thank you for your feedback! I've heard that the 18" long might be too short for C. habrosus, do you have any thoughts on that?

Visitors? lol, cute

That's a really good suggestion and one I haven't heard before, I'll take that into consideration.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it!

There's a lot more out there than I thought there were

Do you think Cherry Barbs would be too cramped in there? What do you think about Cherry Barbs with an Angelfish in a much larger tank (I've got some space, I'm looking at around a 35gal, maybe more) in terms of compatibility? I could go for the barbs in that tank instead.

I've had a lot of recommendations for CPDs, I might start looking into them - I was looking at the Featherfins too! I've been told that they need a larger tank though, as well as the c. habrosus - what were your opinions on the matter?

Are the Featherfins easy to keep? Do you know what they could get along with? I'd consider maybe moving the cories into my 12 gal (for the longer length) and the peacock gudgeons into the other tank along with some featherfins? I was also looking at Norman's Lampeyes? I'm fretful

I love that vid, I think I've actually seen it on YouTube while researching, lol. It's not cheesy, it fits! :) That is an amazing tank! I hope mine looks as good when it's up and running

Thank you so much for commenting, I really appreciate your feedback :)

My Cherry Barbs have been very peaceful. I'd just stocks 2 females to each male ? To keep the males competing but not harassing. I think they'd do great in a larger tank with an angel fish.

My featherfins were in a 10 gallon and I feel they would've done great in a 20 long. I do think the 10 was a bit too cramped for them.

My C habrosus and C pygmaeus and c hastatus thrived in my 10 gallon tanks.
IMG_2005.JPG

Peacock Gudgeon hit 3". Might need a 20Long ? I haven't kept them.

Norman's Lampeye ? Haven't kept. I was researching
dwarf Rainbow fish. Like Gertrude's and Forktail.
IMG_2900.jpg

Back
Top Bottom