32g Planted (Full Work) next v.2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patrice

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi. Well, it has bin a wild i did nothing for this tread. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/32g-planted-full-work-173738.html . So, because i can not continue on the same old one, I restarted a new one, and name it, next v.2

its 50% done.
Going to ads rocks, change the river, and add a glass cover.
Picture are cell phone quality. sorry nothing better

front.jpg

I had a lots of problem in my aquarium. You can not imagine how much money i put in. If your interested to do this, hope your are not working, and I hope you know what your doing.

First, I can not put any shrimps or invertebrate in this setup. For some reason, they all dye for no reason. I am not saying its impossible, but don’t get your hopes up, if you live in Quebec (soft water). Second, because i started with only a few plants, i had All types of algae. So in my conclusion, get the right amount of plants that you need, right away. A lot of problem can be solve if your plants are controlling your algae. About algae. You will always have algae. What you need to know, is what type of algae you want in your aquarium. This was tested by me, and from that, true result were accomplish from try and error. Example:

(hair algae)This will form, when you have to mush light. I recommend adding floating plants, and remove the reflector of you aquarium light. This will stop hair algae. From my experience, to mush light will bring other algae in the process.

(brown algae)I had also brown algae from to mush sulfur. So to fix that, i stop adding potassium sulphate and sulphate of magnesium. I think Prime may also be the culprit, but I don’t have any test kit to verify if its true.

(BBA)True reason for BBA. I had, and still have a bit of BBA. That's from, to high calcium, and to low magnesium. So, i added 3 gram in every water change of bicarbonate magnesium that i home made.

(Spot algae and dust algae) can not disappear. but can be control with the right amount of nitrate "over 15 ppm." Having spot algae will tell you that no other algae will live in your aquarium. The one that's are there, will survive, but by removing them, you will be ok.

(black algae)That easy, low nitrate and unclean filter. Most likely unclean filter. Every time you cut the tree, clean filter the next day. Its mandatory.

(Hydrogen peroxide) is they only way i know that can kill BBA and black algae. Spot treating is not smart. After all, algae is every where. Be worn using this stuff, it will create lots of problem. I don't understand it, but all most all of your micro sword root plants will dye, creating ammonia and algae and other related problem. Low dosing every day and water change is the way to go. "1.5ml every gallon"

Water movement: the real way to do it is 2 filter in each side. That will do 2 things for you. No cleaning the gravel, and a nice water movement. For a bonus, you can hide you filter far, and add a co2 diffuser. That adds a lots of restriction to your pump, that why you need 2. After all, 2 is better then 1 big.

Make sure that your tree is not restricting water movement.

side.jpg

Feeding you fish is a problem when you have floating plants. Adding a floating round hole will save you time and a mess from uneaten food in your aquarium.

flowting-plant.jpg

Substrate. If you want shrimps. Get shrimps safe substrate from Fluval. Its made for shrimps, its balance for shrimps, its sooooo mush better then anything. For a bonus, plants are easy to plants, and don't detach from substrate like mine. Believe me here, i regretted.

scrubber: Get a real scrubber from the shop. If you don't what to have scratches on your glass like i did, get one now. No home stuff from they internet. No sharp tool of any kind.

This setup need:
15 nitrate
0.15 phosphate
0.1 iron

8H OF LIGHT
39w
substrate: dark flourish

nice set up dude! Not sure why not working helps at all though..

Love that tree thing in there. It's a lovely piece o wood. Is it stocked with just rummy noses and neons?

How longdid it take to grow your moss that thick

First, tank you for your treads.

Its more easy then you think to make an aquarium banzai tree like mine. I made this tree so that everyone can do it. First the branch is Fake Mangrove Root, you can get it in aquarium store.
st-71318-50876-medium.jpg

Second, to hold the plants, I use co-polymer gutter guard. I called they company to know if it’s safe for the aquarium and they said yes.
gutter guard.JPG

You need to put the moss points up in the middle and down in the border. This moss will grow very thick, if you cut it like a bush. Actually, it will do exactly like a cut bush. The hardest part is adding moss that had fallen And putting them back, i recommended taking the tree out of they aquarium and put it in a big cooking pan so that it don't drip everywhere.
attachment.jpeg
Depending on how mush moss you initially buy, you tree should turn tick after 6 mounts. After that you can lower the light intensities if you want.

Get a good aquarium scissors and a big net to clean the mess you gone a make. lol. I recommend cutting the moss in a other aquarium or bucket. This will cut your time of cleaning, stressing the fish, removing the fish crap in the moss and cleaning the filter (Mandatory if moss gets in the filter).

This technique will help against algae buildup from dead plants in you filter and in your grass.

Now for the fish: i have only 5 rummy noses and 7 neons and 5 otto. But i am going to be adding guppys of each color and 5 jelly bean tetra (because they have big eyes lol). I saw some red tetra that look interesting to. I need to achieve 15 ppm of nitrate with my fish. Reason for that is so i don't need to be adding anymore potassium nitrate.

Remember, everything auto helping each other.

p.s. I strongly recommend putting your fish in 1.7 gallon tank for 2 week, so that they don't infect the rest if they are infected. You cannot add chemical in your planted tanks. I learn that they hard way.

I have been waiting for someone to figure out how to do a bonsai tree! Thank you! And your tank looks wonderful!

Back
Top Bottom