40 gallon breeder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depending on your budget, I'd go with ecocomplete, or if you prefer to go with soil, I suggest using mineralized topsoil rather than potting soil, it will minimize the amount of organic breakdown in the soil (i.e. stank tank syndrome, yes i invented that term :D )

Depending on your budget, I'd go with ecocomplete, or if you prefer to go with soil, I suggest using mineralized topsoil rather than potting soil, it will minimize the amount of organic breakdown in the soil (i.e. stank tank syndrome, yes i invented that term :D )

That makes sense. I have read a lot of references to Ecocomplete. It appears it is expensive. I would put down an inch and then cover with PFS to make up 3 inches?

If you are burying it anyway, I'd just go with a cheaper form of fired clay substrate material. Oil-dri works well, as well as soilmaster select and turface. Be warned, though, at some point it will probably mix.

If you want to avoid the need for dosing ferts, just go the potting soil/mineralized topsoil method. If you go with that then you won't have to bother adding root tabs. I don't dose ferts at all in my MTS tanks.

I'm wary of using straight potting soil, because i don't want to risk getting a stinky tank, but also because the organics breaking down can cause a toxin spike early in the life of the tank. However, I've seen plenty of posts from people who have had great success with it.

I thought you would bury any soil..so it doesn't cloud the water and stays put. I do like the looks of sand and it seems that is is easier on bottom dwellers.

You'll want to top off miracle grow or top soil like that but substrates like Eco Complete and Flourite are meant to be used alone. Flourite should be rinsed to reduce initial clouding but Eco can be put in without rinsing and may only cause very slight clouding.

Be aware that anything you layer will eventually mix in spots..just from planting.

I guess I will have to go down to the lfs and see what ecocomplete looks like...if they have some. That sounds like the way to go. Thanks

I put ecocomplete in one of my 40b's and went with 2 bags. 3 bags would probably be ideal, as it's fairly shallow for a planted tank with only 2 bags in it, but it works.

It has a nice black look to it.

I was looking at eco complete. they have the sand type and the gavel type. I like the looks of the gravel type. Any preference?

Back
Top Bottom