50 Gal Planted build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Umm.... more plants? Is that even possible? Honestly, I think it looks perfect as it is. Sometimes, less is more.

I don't disagree with you there (sometimes less really IS more)..I do love the simplicity of your 29gal. Just "bored" with the Rotala and the Ludwiga I guess and the rocks are quite large in size which makes me start thinking.."hmm...what could I put in there?" lol

I don't disagree with you there (sometimes less really IS more)..I do love the simplicity of your 29gal. Just "bored" with the Rotala and the Ludwiga I guess and the rocks are quite large in size which makes me start thinking.."hmm...what could I put in there?" lol
Well, you certainly have done an excellent job with your tank. Once fort got me interested in the 'nature aquarium' type scape, I've not liked the 'jungle' look. But... your tank certainly would be the exception to that. I'm not doubting you at all, and if you add more, I'm confident that it'll look just as good, if not better. Maybe I'm just hoping you'll do a simple scape and make me jealous of it as well ;)

Well, you certainly have done an excellent job with your tank. Once fort got me interested in the 'nature aquarium' type scape, I've not liked the 'jungle' look. But... your tank certainly would be the exception to that. I'm not doubting you at all, and if you add more, I'm confident that it'll look just as good, if not better. Maybe I'm just hoping you'll do a simple scape and make me jealous of it as well ;)

I'd love to do a simple scape sometime..so you might see one from me yet. I did take out the smallest of the two rocks as a trial. Added a few more crypts to replace it. So far I'm happy with the change.

I ended up splurging on a bag of Eco-complete to add to what I already had in the tank. The substrate in the front of the tank was only about an inch deep and really needed a little more depth since the bylxa has completely taken over the foreground. Added some to the back slope while I was at it too. Really changes the look of things and make my shrimp easier to see. There might be some more changes with this tank within the next couple weeks..my local fish dealer got a shipment of manzanita in and I'm hoping to score a few pieces!

img_1672069_0_0150d391e17b23fce7abf0d56ba9e294.jpg

Looks awesome as usual...what is the stock again? Im sure youve already mentioned this, but i cant find it!

Flora or fauna? Everything is listed under my profile.

List of current plants-
Ludwigia
Crypt Lucens
Crypt Spiralis
Rotala Rotundifolia
Crypt Wendtii
Java Moss
Sagittara Subulata
Hygrophila corymbosa
Pennywort
Echinodorus bleheri
Echinodorus amazonicus
Blyxa japonica

And thanks :)

Coleallensmom said:
Flora or fauna? Everything is listed under my profile.

List of current plants-
Ludwigia
Crypt Lucens
Crypt Spiralis
Rotala Rotundifolia
Crypt Wendtii
Java Moss
Sagittara Subulata
Hygrophila corymbosa
Pennywort
Echinodorus bleheri
Echinodorus amazonicus
Blyxa japonica

And thanks :)

Oh my...nice job! That is so much plant variety!! But i was wondering like how many of each fish type there were, but you dont have to say.

Well, it's certainly not understocked but I have a problem keeping enough nitrates in the tank, so obviously my plants and my PWCs are enough to keep water quality what it should be. I think current stock is something like this-

Blue Gourami(1)
Silver Angelfish(5 juves)
Black Skirt Tetra(6)
Black Neon Tetra(5)
Pristella Tetra(6)
Otocinclus(5)
Horned Bumble nerites(2)
Tiger Nerite(1)
Zebra Nerite(1)

Bumble bee shrimp& RCS(Have no idea how many)

Coleallensmom said:
Well, it's certainly not understocked but I have a problem keeping enough nitrates in the tank, so obviously my plants and my PWCs are enough to keep water quality what it should be. I think current stock is something like this-

Blue Gourami(1)
Silver Angelfish(5 juves)
Black Skirt Tetra(6)
Black Neon Tetra(5)
Pristella Tetra(6)
Otocinclus(5)
Horned Bumble nerites(2)
Tiger Nerite(1)
Zebra Nerite(1)

Bumble bee shrimp& RCS(Have no idea how many)

That is one cool tank!! Ya, you can definatly more fish due to all of those plants. Haha i bet you have hundreds of shrimp! Haha

That is one cool tank!! Ya, you can definatly more fish due to all of those plants. Haha i bet you have hundreds of shrimp! Haha

Thanks..I was sticking with a black and white theme for the most part. The Gourami was my one impulse buy..I don't regret her though. She has a great personality and gets along with all of her tankmates.

Have no clue even where to begin with the shrimp. The bumblebees only come out at night so I rarely get to see them.:huh: I just happened to be standing by the tank one morning last week when the light came on and I saw three dash for cover so I know there is still some in there competing with the RCS for space.

Your blackskirts aren't destroying your plants? Keep an eye on them... mine turned on me and wrecked my 125 in a matter of days.

BTW... got a front view FTS?

Your blackskirts aren't destroying your plants? Keep an eye on them... mine turned on me and wrecked my 125 in a matter of days.

BTW... got a front view FTS?

Funny..my blackskirts don't even hang in the plants but prefer the open space. My angels and the pristellas are the ones always fooling around in the back of the tank where the biggest plants are. The angels ate my chainsword but have left everything else (with exception of my duckweed) alone.

Yep, Will a video do? I have all the rotala and ludwiga moved to the right side of the tank ATM as I am hoping to put the manzanita I pick up tomorrow on the left side of the tank.

Warning..completely unedited, so you might wanna turn the volume off ;)

Back
Top Bottom