55 gallon. What to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdcichlids

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I have a 55 gallon and want to make it a planted tank. I already have a planted tank but it's oddly shaped and is more of an algae farm. So my question is: High-Light High-Tech? Low-light low tech? Co2? I was thinking Eco-complete but it's pretty expensive. Any alternatives? Also, I was thinking of trying some carpet plants, is that possible without having to buy a Kessil like light?

Thanks,
Cody

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Carpets are tricky. Even in high light/high tech tanks.

If this is your first planted tank you may want to go low/Med light. You'll be able to grow plants without too much tech or as much maintenance.

You don't have to use expensive substrate. It's nice, but my tanks are mostly all sand with DIY root caps.

I've never grown a carpet. I've grown a jungle or two.
87f9235b792e083c9e4bcfc498ddbed0.jpg

This is my 55g. Just set up on Saturday.
Scaped by a club member, I helped.
c932137f5f727b6fe48896a3f0980d98.jpg

Both tanks are sand with Osmocote Plus root caps. Plus liquid Ferts weekly.
I am using Excel daily in my 55g. I do plan to switch to EI dosing with fry Ferts and injected CO2. I have to switch the 55g to high tech...light fixture demands it. I have a 4 bulb T5HO fixture. I only run two bulbs for six hours a day right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is actually my second big tank, my first one isn't doing so well because its super tall and oddly shaped. My question is do you guys think I should do high light high tech or low light low tech? The reason is because i feel like the tank doesn't have much depth that it would be tough to scape for low light. I feel like it would be better to have a carpet. For my substrate I'm thinking 3 bags of Eco-Complete and 1 bag of Fluorite Black Sand. i've already had a sand planted tank and don't like it very much, I'd prefer a higher end substrate this time.

For a true carpet you may want to look at Dry Start Method.

High Light/High Tech is a balancing act. Done wrong it grows an Algae Farm.

It would not be tough to scape for low light. Crypts are my favorite. Ferns, mosses, there are plenty of stems that will grow. Bacopa
Ludwigia
Myriophillium
Etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know Crypts and stuff like that it's just that I am having trouble envisioning a scape for it. Maybe if I substitute a true carpet for Dwarf Sag? My original idea was to have rocks in the corners with huge huge Anubias and some type of Stems leading towards the middle where there would be a large Java fern in the middle. Around the corners Surrounding the Anubias I would have a carpet of DHG, then something in the middle. My hardscape would be tons of rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom