55 to 75 transition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coel

Aquarium Advice Freak
So my birthday is in June and I'm planning on going from a 55 w/ hob to 75 w/ canister. As much as I would love to do a sump I need the space under my tank for storage. I was thinking of staying glass unless I can find an affordable acrylic. For filters I'm going to start my research but I was thinking of the fluval 406. I know I will need another 2 bulb fixture. And I want to eventually go to inline heater and CO2.

Any advice would be great. Also when I do, should I rice my gravel/ sand mix? Or will I risk too much nutrient loss

Thanks

I highly recommend the AquaTop CF-500UV canister filter-I run one on my 60g planted and its rated for up to 150 gallons I believe. It also has a UV sterilizer BUILT IN so you dont need to buy one plus it will kill all of the bad bacteria and parasites that the other filter did not catch. It has 4 trays of filtration, and i put in a bunch of filter pads on the bottom one, Purigen in the second tray up, ceramic rings in the 3rd and bio balls at the top. Cleaned a filthy tank in 3 days. Great filter. Plus its alot cheaper at $130 for that big and quality of a canister its great. Also is has a 4 foot long output spray bar so its neat :) For C02 are you looking at pressurized or DIY? I can give you good recommendations on a quality pressurized system that I also use for a nice price. Is the tank already planted? (The 55)

The 55 has a few things, java moss, some wisteria and some swords. I would like to go to full planted with the 75 and I was looking at pressurized for the co2. Also I will look at that filter thank you

The 55 has a few things, java moss, some wisteria and some swords. I would like to go to full planted with the 75 and I was looking at pressurized for the co2. Also I will look at that filter thank you

Well I recommend ditching the whole gravel and sand idea and going for a more 'dirted' tank- you can use potting soil with a plant substrate cap or you can use potting soil, a manufactured plant substrate like Eco-Complete or Fluval Stratum with a sand cap if you like the sandy look. This will give your plants the nutrients they will need but also you will need the right combo of ferts. Roots tabs and dry ferts are required IMO with a pressurized C02 system. For the C02 system, I would get a 5lb tank for yours (I have had my 5lb tank running on my 60g for almost 2 months and it hasn't ran out at all yet) or a 10lb tank- about $60. Or the regulator I use the AquaTek C02 regulator with integrated solenoid valve- $80. Then all you need is the diffuser, bubble counter + liquid, and the C02 tubing. I got all of this from GLA for $60, now, I got the top of the line items they had there (65mm atomic diffuser- $30; bubble counter w/check valve - )20 and 10 ft. Of C02 tubing- $7 plus a bottle of bubble counter liquid- $4). This is a great quality system for a fraction of the cost of a retail system (I found they run for around $400 to $500! Anything cheaper you can find may work well too, like you don't have to have a fancy diffuser like mine you can get that $5 ones they make that also works as well, but not as good. Back to ferts- are you using any? I use AquariumPlants root tabs TOTAL, PHOSPHATE and IRON and they work great, for dry ferts I dose PPS-Pro. I also dose Flourish Excel once in awhile as a C02 supplement and to combat algae. For lighting, if you want a lot of cool plants and a lot of plants in general, you lost likely will need something higher than a 2 bulb fixture. I run a 2 bulb T5HO fixture with 2 6700K 54watt T5HO bulbs inside as well as 2 48" TrueLumen Pro Series 8,000K LED light strips at 30watt each, which gets awesome PAR and wpg, so I am capable of growing the higher light plants which I am sure you would want if you want a heavier planted tank. Also higher light brings out a lot more color in the colored plants which IMO is a must!

I use the aquatop cf400uv on my 75g planted tank,its a great filter&the water is crystal clear..

The cf-400uv is the same but a bit smaller. Same thing but less media room- still get great results and the 400uv is cheaper. Your choice. HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

Well I recommend ditching the whole gravel and sand idea and going for a more 'dirted' tank- you can use potting soil with a plant substrate cap or you can use potting soil, a manufactured plant substrate like Eco-Complete or Fluval Stratum with a sand cap if you like the sandy look. This will give your plants the nutrients they will need but also you will need the right combo of ferts. Roots tabs and dry ferts are required IMO with a pressurized C02 system. For the C02 system, I would get a 5lb tank for yours (I have had my 5lb tank running on my 60g for almost 2 months and it hasn't ran out at all yet) or a 10lb tank- about $60. Or the regulator I use the AquaTek C02 regulator with integrated solenoid valve- $80. Then all you need is the diffuser, bubble counter + liquid, and the C02 tubing. I got all of this from GLA for $60, now, I got the top of the line items they had there (65mm atomic diffuser- $30; bubble counter w/check valve - )20 and 10 ft. Of C02 tubing- $7 plus a bottle of bubble counter liquid- $4). This is a great quality system for a fraction of the cost of a retail system (I found they run for around $400 to $500! Anything cheaper you can find may work well too, like you don't have to have a fancy diffuser like mine you can get that $5 ones they make that also works as well, but not as good. Back to ferts- are you using any? I use AquariumPlants root tabs TOTAL, PHOSPHATE and IRON and they work great, for dry ferts I dose PPS-Pro. I also dose Flourish Excel once in awhile as a C02 supplement and to combat algae. For lighting, if you want a lot of cool plants and a lot of plants in general, you lost likely will need something higher than a 2 bulb fixture. I run a 2 bulb T5HO fixture with 2 6700K 54watt T5HO bulbs inside as well as 2 48" TrueLumen Pro Series 8,000K LED light strips at 30watt each, which gets awesome PAR and wpg, so I am capable of growing the higher light plants which I am sure you would want if you want a heavier planted tank. Also higher light brings out a lot more color in the colored plants which IMO is a must!

Thank you for all the info, I currently have 1 2x 54watt fixture and plan to add another. I do use fert tabs now about once a month.

As far as substrate goes I am using some old gravel from last tank and using flourite sand. I like the sand look but I don't have a problem going to a plant soil.

Thank you for all the info, I currently have 1 2x 54watt fixture and plan to add another. I do use fert tabs now about once a month.

As far as substrate goes I am using some old gravel from last tank and using flourite sand. I like the sand look but I don't have a problem going to a plant soil.

Two double fixtures with those bulbs should do fine for a moderate to high like tank. And again you can top off a dirted tank with sand if you like

So I'm going to start looking into substrates, I like my research. What do I need to look for/ avoid for poring soil? And how do you rinse potting soil? I've never worked with it in a fish tank. And I figure ill get tank and substrate first and then canister and light, then co2

So I'm going to start looking into substrates, I like my research. What do I need to look for/ avoid for poring soil? And how do you rinse potting soil? I've never worked with it in a fish tank. And I figure ill get tank and substrate first and then canister and light, then co2

I don't have dirt in my tanks but I do know do not use potting soil...it is suggested to 100% organic soil w/no additives..you can search"how to dirt a tank" on utube&there's plenty of how to videos to sift through...hope that's helpful..

So I'm going to start trying to find piece for my aquascape now. What is a good hardwood that stays dark?

So I'm going to start trying to find piece for my aquascape now. What is a good hardwood that stays dark?

I use Malaysian DW in my tanks,some of my pieces are several months old&are holding good color..

I was thinking more along the lines of what I might be able to cut myself. I live in Pennsylvania so there has to be an indigenous hardwood I can use like cherry but darker

I was thinking more along the lines of what I might be able to cut myself. I live in Pennsylvania so there has to be an indigenous hardwood I can use like cherry but darker

I believe it must be completely dried out first,also all bark must be removed...& wood containing sap shall not be used...as far as branches go,manzanita&apple wood are some of what have been used in aquariums...research heavily to make sure you don't add something which will foul your tank...

Yeah I know normal cherry will work, brother is using it now and after 3 months no negatives. But I know about the bark removal and letting it dry, and then soaking for tannins. I just know I'm going to be super picky looking for the piece of wood so that's why I want to see if I can harvest some.

has anyone used miracle gro potting mix as their substrate? and if so what do i need to watch for? i know i will need to cap it. also does it shape well for making mounds etc?

I'd recommend a dark cap. I went lighter and now kinda regret it. You may have some color leaching and it will put out some ammonia for a while. Get it wet first then put it in. And yes you can build up areas in the tank. Mine is a good two inches higher in the back for my swords.
Don't be surprised if you get an algae outbreak till it gets established and balanced. Heavily plant right away if you can.

Yeah I was thinking of capping with flourite due to its CEC. Also I've been reading that I may need an iron supplement and people seem to be using clay, any thoughts? And I was planning on a mid to heavy plant early

Back
Top Bottom