6 bulb auarium light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
fort384 said:
No... Same as what I said. Actinics will make the fish look nice, but have no effect on the plants.

Yeah. That's what you told me. I got confused.

roydooms said:
You're trying to say that the actinic light will soften the intensity of the 6700k?

Not really soften.. You will have 4 bulbs.. Two 6700k which will be good for the plants. Two 10k plus actinic which will be 50% good for plants and 50% good for color of fish.. Thus really only three bulbs being utilized for plant growth and one for color of fish.. :)

cjldad said:
Not really soften.. You will have 4 bulbs.. Two 6700k which will be good for the plants. Two 10k plus actinic which will be 50% good for plants and 50% good for color of fish.. Thus really only three bulbs being utilized for plant growth and one for color of fish.. :)

Are you saying that the 10,000K is only 50% beneficial to plants? My fixture has 6 bulbs. 2-10,000K, 2-6700K and 2-420nm.

It actually has 3 bulbs I think if I am reading this right... it is a power compact fixture, with what looks like 2 bulbs joined into 1 socket. The 10000K bulbs are fully beneficial. What he is saying is that if you have a 50/50 bulb (1 side is 10,000K the other 460NM actinic), and you got 3 of these, then you would have half of your light as usable 10000K, and the other half would be actinic. This would be a good amount of light that would keep you backed off the thresh hold of requiring CO2 in your tank. Later if you should choose to upgrade to higher light, you could swap 1 or more of the 50/50s for a straight 10000K or straight 6700K bulb that would in effect increase your usable light.

fort384 said:
It actually has 3 bulbs I think if I am reading this right... it is a power compact fixture, with what looks like 2 bulbs joined into 1 socket. The 10000K bulbs are fully beneficial. What he is saying is that if you have a 50/50 bulb (1 side is 10,000K the other 460NM actinic), and you got 3 of these, then you would have half of your light as usable 10000K, and the other half would be actinic. This would be a good amount of light that would keep you backed off the thresh hold of requiring CO2 in your tank. Later if you should choose to upgrade to higher light, you could swap 1 or more of the 50/50s for a straight 10000K or straight 6700K bulb that would in effect increase your usable light.

I have 6 separate bulbs. 2 straight 10,000K, 2 straight 6,700K and 2 420nm actinic. Like what you said, if I want to upgrade all I have to do is replace the actinics with straight 6700 or 10,000K. Each 4-pin bulb has 2 bulbs joined together but with the same output. No actinic. Except for the 2-420nm.

Ok.. I'd run two 6700k and two of the 10000k/blue mixed.. You would have effectively 3 bulbs of plant lights then and 1 actinic to give a color pop..

cjldad said:
Ok.. I'd run two 6700k and two of the 10000k/blue mixed.. You would have effectively 3 bulbs of plant lights then and 1 actinic to give a color pop..

I don't get it. I don't have any mixed bulbs. Are all 10,000K's mixed? I tested it and both 6700 and 10,000K produces JUST WHITE light. NO BLUE.

Only the 2 separate bulbs of 420nm produces blue light.

They are all 65w.

Pic didn't work on my phone but now I see.. It was my MISunderstanding that you had dual bulbs.. You can get those PC bulbs in a dual style where one tube is actinic and one 10k.. I'm sorry..

I just worry with 4 of those bulbs being too much light... Perhaps start with a shorter photo period of 6 hours and work up if no problems..

cjldad said:
Pic didn't work on my phone but now I see.. It was my MISunderstanding that you had dual bulbs.. You can get those PC bulbs in a dual style where one tube is actinic and one 10k.. I'm sorry..

I just worry with 4 of those bulbs being too much light... Perhaps start with a shorter photo period of 6 hours and work up if no problems..

So should I start with 2 10,000K's or 6700's? There is a separate switch for the ones in the middle. So I have an option of turning on just 2 or 4 or 6. When you said to start with a period of 6 hours is it with all the lights on?

Yeah all 4, or you could do some neat stuff to bring on 2 for an hour or so then all 4 for a few hours and back to just 2 for a few.. Kinda like the sun coming up and getting brighter then the sun going down..

cjldad said:
Also, is that a new fixture? Looks nice! Is it returnable if other options are given? :)

Thank you. I bought this used from an aquarium plant breeder(?) on craigslist. O forgot to ask him about plant stuff. I replaced 2 bulbs and will replace the rest soon. I am also thinking if I should replace the actinics or keep it.

Keep them and try them out.. 4 of the other bulbs are going to be more than enough light unless you go pressurized co2...

cjldad said:
Yeah all 4, or you could do some neat stuff to bring on 2 for an hour or so then all 4 for a few hours and back to just 2 for a few.. Kinda like the sun coming up and getting brighter then the sun going down..

Yeah. That is smart. Just 2 bulbs in the morning then 4 after lunch then back to 2 late afternoon. That's a good idea. Then it's up to me if I want to turn the actinic light on?

Sounds like you have a good plan. That is a GREAT looking fixture! You will be able to grow just about anything with that eventually, should you decide to go high tech and CO2. It sounds like for now you have a good plan to start out and keep it low tech.

fort384 said:
Sounds like you have a good plan. That is a GREAT looking fixture! You will be able to grow just about anything with that eventually, should you decide to go high tech and CO2. It sounds like for now you have a good plan to start out and keep it low tech.

Thank you. I got it for only $80. With a busted bulb but decided to replace 2 for an even lighting. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom