75 BIG BAD GALLONS OF PLANTED GREEN & FISH (work in progress)[many pix i prmomis]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dave, you should look up a woman named April on Forum.SimplyDiscus.com she is a breeder in Canada and there are several members there in Canada as well.

You can also look at aquariumplants.com they ship to canada I beleive. Her website is petsbeautiful.com

OK, April is far from you (in BC...sorry bout that)
but you could try Cary at Great Lakes Discus in Michigan....rumored to be one of the best....he is in Detroit which is not too far.

I know at least one member of the forum who ships fish to Kalispell and drives to pick them up and bring them back himself. You could look into it. :)

OK, April is far from you (in BC...sorry bout that)
but you could try Cary at Great Lakes Discus in Michigan....rumored to be one of the best....he is in Detroit which is not too far.

I know at least one member of the forum who ships fish to Kalispell and drives to pick them up and bring them back himself. You could look into it. :)

I just got done reading everything on that site you recommended. Learned alot about the pH info regarding no specific magical number and stability being the key, that was good to know.

Hm I just might have to contact him, I have been talking with the owner of the big als here in my hometown regarding getting specices of discus I would like that he could possibly order for me but well see where that goes. I went to aquariumplants.com and I picked a bunch of plants (specifically for discus/warm water) and to overnight ship (anytime)which is the only option i guess for live plants, its almost a $100 just for shipping!! I was reading regarding there "shipping order placement deadlines or w.e?" do you know what thats all about? Oh just read more and they highly recommend the overnight shipping on larger more expensive orders as it is gurenteed live delivery.. and the extra cost of overnight is worth it i guess.. heres my list of plants i want to order. Could you please advise me on this list as I really would only rather make a large order and ship it once with the cost of shipping as high as it is so i want to get it right the first time. (all plants in the list are from the discus/warm water plants section)

- Sword, Amazon Sword (Echinodorus bleheri) x10
-Wendtii, Bronze (Cryptocoryne wendtii v. ‘Tropica’) x2
-Crinum "Dwarf" onion plant(Zephyranthes candida)(10 plants per order) x4
-Anubias Afzelii x1
-Anubias barteri v angustifolia x1
-Sag, Dwarf Subulata (Sagittaria subulata)(10 plants per order) x6
-Tiger Lotus, Green (Nymphaea zenkeri) x1
-Tiger Lotus, Red (Nymphaea zenkeri) x1
-Vals, Jungle (Vallisneria gigantea)(sold 10 plants per order) x3
-Barteri Round Leaf (Anubias barteri v. ‘Round Leaf’) x1
-Sword, Ozelot (Echinodorus ‘Ozelot’) x1
-Coffeefolia (Anubias barteri v. ‘Coffeefolia’) x1
-Green Temple (Hygrophilia corymbosa) x1

now for only a 75g this seems like wayy to many plants, but this is my selection. any additions or subtractions suggestions are VERY welcome.

thanks again,

davE

shucks i liked the anacharis or myb it was anubis i was thinking of? hmm, also the vals.. eg a corkskrewval wouldent work either then. oh well i wont use flourish for long id much rather the presurrized co2 but that has to wait till pops gets home from vacation because i know he has empty tanks, regulators and such.

Ancharis is a stem plant that doesn't tend to root, but is a great nutrient sponge. Tends to prefer cooler water. Anubias are a very hardy low light plant that has a similiar appearance to Philodendron House Plants.

With all the plants that tend to melt, it's not 100% that the Flourish Excel will take them out. Plus you can cut back on dosing to give them a better chance. Since you're planning on switching to pressurized, I'd just wait to get them until after the switch.

I went to aquariumplants.com and I picked a bunch of plants (specifically for discus/warm water) and to overnight ship (anytime)which is the only option i guess for live plants, its almost a $100 just for shipping!! I was reading regarding there "shipping order placement deadlines or w.e?" do you know what thats all about?

Unfortunately overnight shipping is horribly expensive, especially if you have to go over the border. You're best bet is to get plants from another hobbiest in Canada. There are several other members on the board that live in Canada and have wonderful planted aquariums. If you post a want ad in either the Classifieds or Barter/Trade forum, I'm sure you'll be able to find quite a few of the plants that you want at a reasonable price. I've also heard that the Big Als in Canada have a descent plant selection, including many plants that it's hard for us to get in the States.

Unfortunately overnight shipping is horribly expensive, especially if you have to go over the border. You're best bet is to get plants from another hobbiest in Canada. There are several other members on the board that live in Canada and have wonderful planted aquariums. If you post a want ad in either the Classifieds or Barter/Trade forum, I'm sure you'll be able to find quite a few of the plants that you want at a reasonable price. I've also heard that the Big Als in Canada have a descent plant selection, including many plants that it's hard for us to get in the States.

Yes they do, theres a big als in my city. but prices are pretty bad compared to online retailers. one amazon sword cost $9.99 plus tax CAD. and the price at aquariumplants.com for amazon swords are only $2.45 CAD. I think the expensive overnightship is worth it to get all the plants I want all at once and all alive and gurenteed healthy. what do you think of my plant selection noted above purrbox? to many? bad mix? etc. thanks in advance =p

The last time I ordered from AquariumPlants.com, I was rather disappointed. Make sure that when ordering plants, if you have a choice go with the potted over the bare root. Reason being that they will send you just one plant for the price bare root, but the potted plant will have several plants.

When pricing plants you also want to take into consideration the quantity and quality you get for the price. I'd gladly pay and extra couple of dollars per plant to get higher quality and quantity. With the plants you're looking at, I'd bet that you could get quite a few of them from other AA members.

Really can't comment much on the plant selection/quantity since my aquariums are all much smaller. I've got a feeling that you'll need more, but I'd recommend waiting for someone to comment who has experiance planting an aquarium that size. The one thing that seems to be missing is some fast growing stem plants. While you may not want these long term, they are very important while you get your aquairum established to help keep everything in balance.

yea well thats dissapointing about aquariumplants.com, Im sure ill find something. so lights should be here by friday hopefully, cant wait to see them on. I tested pH on the 75g today and

-still sitting at 7.6
-ammonia - 0ppm hmm? maybe i should start dosing

I also did a full test on my tap water.

- Ammonia - 0 ppm
- Nitrate - 0 ppm
- Nitrite - 0ppm
- pH - 7.6
- HR pH - 7.7

hmm seems pretty clean. does this mean anything?

In my Rena Filstar xp3 thers a chem filter called bio-chemzorb. makes water crystaline, removes odours, removes toxic wastes, etc.
Now Im guessing this chem filter is removing all the ammonia for the bacteria to turn into nitrite then nitrate. thus the cycling itself. what do you think should I remove this chem filter for now? or for good? :S

thanks,

davE

10 amazon sword plants?wow where you going to put the rest them plants sounds like alot

oh and i would remove the bio chem stuff untill after you cycled.Not sure if anyone use chemical filteration in there planted tanks i dont and i think most here dont.

but shipping plants overseas or across the border I have a feeling wouldent be very great for plants where do you guys get your plants online of those who do? thanks for the site too !
The biological controls on imports are more worrysome. I recall there being an Indian place that shipped regularly to America. They are already used to dealing with customs offices, they can probably ship to you.

now for only a 75g this seems like wayy to many plants, but this is my selection. any additions or subtractions suggestions are VERY welcome.
Personally, I'd get one of everything I found interesting, and see what ones grow well under my lights, and what ones I like better or less well in person than on the net. Then make a second order if you want to fill in a space with a slower growing plant you don't want to just propogate yourself.

Well, I like your selections of plants. I think they will do well.
I would modify the number of amazon swords however because they get very large...my 90 gal (a little larger footprint than the 75) would not handle 10 of them unless you want them to look densly packed in. I would cut it back to 5 max. (and 3-4 might be better)

You can't go wrong with lots of vals, they are tall and skinny but will also multiply.
Two is good on the crypt wendtii, they can also grow quite bushy.
dwarf sag....60 plants is a bit much....they will form a carpet over time others can chime in but I would say the 10 pack x2 would be a better fit.
The annubias are all fine, coffefolia can get big but with just one you should be happy with it.
The lotus plants are beautiful and will quickly reach the top. When I got my first one it looked so delicate and frail and I didn't think it would survive but it has flourished and has since made two baby plants. :)

I would definitely suggest adding some stem plants, any of the hygro are good. The green temple is a nice choice but I would increase your quantity t 5-6 bunches rather than one. They are easy to take care of and great nutrient sponges. Their leaf shpe is a good contrast to the large swords as well.

Rotala Indica (rotundifolia) is one of my favorites and does great in my discus tank and adds some much needed color to all the green. I would get 4 bunches if it were me doing the ordering. :)

I hope this helps. That should give you a very nice stock to start with. You will enevitably end up ordering more plants at some point....there is just no way to know exactly how it will all play out until you get them all in and play around with the scape etc, but I think your list will give you a very nice start and your tank will be quite full of life.
Take a look at the pics in my profile to get an idea of how big the amazon swords are/will get and to put your tank in perspective. You might be surprised. :)

Happy aquascaping...I am sure you will love it!

looks nice happygirl.. yep they do get big i had 2 in a 90 ones 24 in high by almost as wide i had to take one out even.

10 amazon sword plants?wow where you going to put the rest them plants sounds like alot

thats why i gladly accept all your suggestions, thanks for your input on my plant selection happy, Ill change it up a bit as it was just my first and rough guideline of plants I want. I didnt know if 10 swords was alot or not, I just know that i really like em lol =p oh and yeah im going to take the bi0-chemzorb out use it as another basket for bio medeia or mechanical filtration.

-davE

The biological controls on imports are more worrysome. I recall there being an Indian place that shipped regularly to America. They are already used to dealing with customs offices, they can probably ship to you.

Yea i guess aquariumplants.com has has lots and overwhelming resonses from us here in Canada and have just recently made a new facility here In canada (not sure exactly where though) because of it. So i feel i can trust them as a reliable source, well see what happans anyway. If I cant find another good source ill be using AP.com. I ordered a few plants off ebay for the **** of it, but they are coming all the way from maylasia. I dont plan on putting any of them into tank i just want to inspect them.(very highly doubt they live).

and my 3rd package from big al's should be arriving tomorrow. yay my very very expensive lights lol :D

thanks again for your input.

davE

You might be surprised, they may live and they may be fine. If you want to use them, just QT them in a bucket or small tank, or do a bleach dip to remove any possible contaminants.

You might find some other members in canada that can help you out. :)

So I woke up quickly took a glance out my window and saw a big long brown box waiting for me at my front door :D wonder what that could be! So i just finished getting my lights setup on my aquarium (HOLY LIGHTS) wow thing is huge. It has
dual daytime lights 6700k and 10000k, and dual actinic lights 420 nM, 460 nM. oh and i forgot it also has two white lunar lights for night viewing. thats like 10 lights!! lol :D so yeah.. only three things i need now. co2 is a must because I cant or shouldent plant yet without it.. unless I want major algae. then comes the plants then comes the fish ! Im getting close to the end (of the build anyway) still cant wait to aquascape either should be fun. ne ways I really wish I could take a picture for yall.. as my title of the thread is making somewhat of a liar out of me.. "many pix i promis" camera should be back any day now. maybe ill go out get some low light plants while im waiting for co2. hmm.

thanks again

-davE

Went down to big al's check out ther plants. they had just ordered a bumch in so they had a decent selection.. i didnt have much cash right now but i picked up two plants one being a small amazon sword, and the other we wernt too sure. Sometype of hygro I do believe. I looked for it on plantgeeks but couldent really find it i dont think.. ill take a pic of it when i can myb one of you or im sure one of you can tell me what it is.. its a stem plant medium lenght narrow leaves. darker green bit of redish stem to it.. ionno but yea well see what happans with them.

-davE (yes i know a picture is worth a thousand words)

Back
Top Bottom