75 BIG BAD GALLONS OF PLANTED GREEN & FISH (work in progress)[many pix i prmomis]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great looking set up you have there buddy. I forget what real plants look like. Mine are all Plastic as I have cichlids in one tank and discus in the other.

Great looking set up you have there buddy. I forget what real plants look like. Mine are all Plastic as I have cichlids in one tank and discus in the other.

Thanks. I havent really put any updated pics on there for awhile. Because Ive been neglecting my tank a bit. Due to being on the graveyard shift at work. Its kinda looking more like an under water jungle everyday. Ive been meaning to stop in at big al's, always good to see what new arrivals they get.. still havent got any discus yet though. I wana make sure I get the ones that I really want due to the price of them.. and the bigger the better.

-davE

I am on nights this week, so I stopped in at big al's yesterday afternoon to pick up some supplies. They only had 1 Discus left for sale. I think it was a royal blue, Or something like that anyway. They have a couple of big Oscars in there and a mating pair of Jaguars that are nice but to BIG.

Updated Pics

Hey so I had a much longer post but due to midnights and being tierd I closed the window by accident. So heres the short version. No real new updates.. removed a few plants added a few. All is well. Still no discus yet. Soon though! Just waiting for the perfect ones. I did a bit of trimming so I thought id take a couple shots.

18026-albums203-picture1882.jpg

18026-albums203-picture1880.jpg

18026-albums203-picture1881.jpg

18026-albums203-picture1879.jpg

18026-albums203-picture1878.jpg

18026-albums203-picture1877.jpg

Hope you enjoied. There just on low light atm so pics are a bit dark.

-davE

Nice work Dave....looking better all the time!

Thanks Happy,

Yeah so I went out and got a couple new plants and 5 more ottos that same day.. forget what the plants are called.. One looks like a hornwort but red and bushy will look great once it fills out.. planning on removing the hygro in the back left corner and replacing it with that one once it gets big enough. I was told it needed really bright light so i moved it to the middle where there was no shade.. also I picked up a crypt.. but its the biggest crypt I ever saw.. has a stalk on it thicker than my swords.. with massive rooting.. had to make almost a 4 inch diameter hole to burry the sucker.. So for some reason my four aldolphoi cory cats neverrrr come out anymore.. Ive only seen two cant find the other two always way in the back behind my cave somewhere.. not even when its feeding time they dont come out front ever.. getting a little worried..

So I saw some awesome bucktooth tetras I wanted to get but i was quickly informed they usually school with pirannahas in the wild.. and on occasion eat them for a snack.. not to mention there teeth are so big they cant close there mouths.. so yeah I guess that wouldent have been a good idea.. lol... also they had FW tea cup stingrays.. I told they guy I was gonna get rid of all my fish and get one.. he asked how big my tank was.. "its a 75" told me unless you get one double the size I wont even consider selling you one.. haha.. someday maybe.. anywho.. guess ill go do my pwc now.. Im running out of room for plants and fish! I needs a bigger tank I tells ya.. When I move out of my rents house im definatly going to get a 150 for the living room of my new pad.. and turn the 75 into a marine tank! or vise versa .. well see

-davE

That's ok, you will want a bigger tank anyway when you get more into discus. :) Your tank is looking awesome. :)

I am considering doing the same thing....my fear is that once I get into the SW tanks I will let my planted tanks slide. I get all obsessed and such...lol. Wishing you all the best!

More New Pix 4u

Hey whats up AA,

Yeah so finally BA got the discus I really wanted in. The red marlboro. Nice size, good and healthy. Butt at 39.99 Ea.. I cant afford to get any right now considering I would need to get 3 or 4. Im sure they will be gone by the time I can get them but well see. I still really wanted them although after watching the congo tets for awhile now they seem like they are better off staying as the dominant species in the tank. Not sure how Discus would handle them.. ? they are not aggressive they just like to zing around alot and are quite feroucious eaters. Any ways some new updated pics for you.. I removed all the hygro in the corner aswell as the "scarlet temple" I did like them but I wanted something new and different. Plus I was tierd of trimming it. So I got I forget what that pinky green bushy one is called.. I want to get more of it to fill in a bit. also then there is the tiger lotus which is doing well.. oh yeah when I moved it from the front of the tank to the back corner it was rooted pretty good and I ended up loosing the bulb of the tiger lotus.. :S does this mean anything? My plant still has lots of nice roots, but does it need that bulb thingy it was attached to?

Also if you can tell, Im wondering that the plant in between the melon sword and the amazon sword on the right side is? The lad at the store told me it was a crypt but thats one massive crpyt if you asked me. masssive rooting on it. Has to make like a 4 inch hole to burry the sucker. anyways heres the pictures enjoi.

18026-albums203-picture2053.jpg

18026-albums203-picture2054.jpg

18026-albums203-picture2055.jpg

18026-albums203-picture2056.jpg

18026-albums203-picture2049.jpg

18026-albums203-picture2048.jpg

18026-albums203-picture2041.jpg

18026-albums203-picture2042.jpg

thanks for the look, I got a few more in my album too if you wanna check them out. The tank is on low light again, I always forget to put the light on full when I take pics.

davE

Looks really nice! I love the look of your tank. :)

The tiger lotus could be reproducing....they do that by creating a new bulb, just leave it laying there and it will sprout new leaves and become another plant. :)

Looks really nice! I love the look of your tank. :)

The tiger lotus could be reproducing....they do that by creating a new bulb, just leave it laying there and it will sprout new leaves and become another plant. :)

Thanks happy,

Your my #1 fan :D. Really ? eh that would be nice. Well thats what I did I just left it laying there so hopefully your right! not that I have room to put it anywhere though lol. Next on my list is a super nice camera than can take good quality shots and a place to host them as so. Anyways I think im going to go to Big Als because im bored. :D Hey so if im not planning on getting discus in my tank :( which is sad but someday I will for sure!! Am i still to overstocked on fish or how many more "smaller" nothing over 4inch could I go?

My current stock. In the 75g

- 5 congo tets
- 4 Aldolphoi Cory Cats
- 8 Cardinal Tets
- 10 Harlequin Rasboras
- 2 Albino BN plecos (one is so tiny and hasent grown at all compared to the other one I got at the same time and identical size)
- 8 Otto cats

Its fully planted and with regular 40% pwc a week.

thanks as always,

-davE

Well thats what I did I just left it laying there so hopefully your right! not that I have room to put it anywhere though lol.
You can always trade it, either on here with another hobbiest or at a local fish store that takes trade-ins for store credit. Same with those items you removed.

Tiger lotus can potentially be a huge plant. Many times, this plant is used in ponds, not aquariums, so keep cutting off the leaves at the level you want to train it to stay compact.

My experience with tiger lotus is that it is pretty indestructable. I made the mistake of putting red tip silver dollars in my tank. They ate every tiger lotus leaf I had. I took the fish back, and in 2 weeks, the tiger lotus was back.

You will also start to see baby tiger lotus plants emerging from your substrate near the parent plant. Itty bitty little leaves coming through the sand. I have had really good response giving these plants away on this site.

Tiger lotus is a great plant, just needs to be kept in check.

P.S. Lower nitrates make tiger lotus more red. Higher nitrates turn it more brown.

New Camera = New Pix :D

Hey all Well I got a new toy at the boxing day sales, and by toy I mean a sweet digital camera. An Olympus Stylus E1010 to be exact. So Ive still not really figured it all out but I took a couple different shots to see what it could do. So far im pretty impressed. So take a look tell me what ya think. Hopefully the auto resizing on here dosent effect the quality to much. So new things inside the tank

- 3 Bolivian Rams which I had hoped would end up getting a pair but seems to me that I have 3 males =(
- pair of gourmais (who paired off and mated the 2nd day I had them & I already see a few tiny gourmais)
- 8 cherry barbs

Alot of amazon swords lol, dont know what to do with them all. Havent asked the LFS if they do trade in, and if anyone wants one just pay S/H and ill try and send one out for you! or else they are going to be goldfish food. Same with the Red Tiger Lotus.

18026-albums203-picture2259.jpg

18026-albums203-picture2260.jpg

18026-albums203-picture2261.jpg

18026-albums203-picture2256.jpg

18026-albums203-picture2257.jpg

18026-albums203-picture2258.jpg

18026-albums203-picture2262.jpg

hmm well I cant seem to get any more pictures to upload. Opps I overloaded your servers loL anyways you get the idea. hope u enjoi'd

-davE

Back
Top Bottom