A couple planted tank questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
I guys, i have a betta tank and i really want to turn it into a well aquascaped, planted tank. Think is, the light sucks. How do i upgrade this thing?

Also, i get algae like nobodys business! Is it because of a lightibg deficiancy?

Last question, this tank is only 2.5 gallons so it doesnt have a heater. Granted, i live in CA so it isnt cold, but the water is around 70-75. Is that alright for plants and for my betta? I dont even know if any heaters small enough, ans cheap enough to buy! Thanks...pics

Those incandescent bulbs are notorious for growing algae. Try switching it out for a small 9w CFL 6500k daylight. Anything around 9w should be ok but don't try anything large. You can find those at Lowes or even Walmart. Zoo Med had an UltraSun 10w CFL bulb that should fit perfectly in your hood and is easy to find on Amazon, a LFS or Petsmart may even have it. You may not be able to use the plastic light screen but that isn't an issue. Do you preform regular water changes? Remember, if you find a daylight CFL that works you'll want to add plants right after you improve the light.

There are lots of mini heaters for small tanks and even bowls. Check amazon or an online (or local) pet store and search for 'mini heater'. The Hydor THEO Submersible 25w or Hagen Elite Submersible 25-watt heater should do the trick. it will HAVE to be a submersible model with your hood (better anyway).

Stick to low light plants. Good luck!

Bettas LOVE to play and swim around in plants btw.

Interesting! How much does the small heater cost? Also, what plants could i support with only 8 watts? Id like to have some nicer ones. I have a 25 watt bulb, but that must be too much.

Well, i was just about to buy the heater and bulb, but the shipping was KILLER! More than my total purchase! I need a different way to do this now

What you need to understand is a 25w incandescent isn't stronger than an 8w cfl. I remember telling you before that incandescents won't grow plants. :/ Get a U shaped cfl with a 'daylight' or 6500K rating and it will grow plants. Don't get anything too high in wattage. For example I have 20w 6500K cfl on a 7g cube and it's highish light. I have a 14w 6500K in my 10g and it's lowish lighting.

Mumma.of.two said:
What you need to understand is a 25w incandescent isn't stronger than an 8w cfl. I remember telling you before that incandescents won't grow plants. :/ Get a U shaped cfl with a 'daylight' or 6500K rating and it will grow plants. Don't get anything too high in wattage. For example I have 20w 6500K cfl on a 7g cube and it's highish light. I have a 14w 6500K in my 10g and it's lowish lighting.

I actually took a picture of your responce last time you sai it mumma, so i havent forgotten!!:D i thought it WAS a cfl, but thinking about it i doubt it is.

SO, where should i get a bulb so i can have high-ish lighting?

George, thats a good idea!!! Ohhh myy i think ill do this...what do i have to do for the free trial?

I actually took a picture of your responce last time you sai it mumma, so i havent forgotten!!:D i thought it WAS a cfl, but thinking about it i doubt it is.

SO, where should i get a bulb so i can have high-ish lighting?

George, thats a good idea!!! Ohhh myy i think ill do this...what do i have to do for the free trial?

You just use your Amazon account and when your in the checkout step, choose two day shipping, then it should say something about starting a trial Look around Amazon and you'll find it if you dont see it. I'm gonna PM you because I dont wanna get too off topic lol

Most pet stores have mini heaters and U-shaped CFLs. I'm guessing that you don't have a store nearby. I found you a heater with free saver shipping on Amazon that'll be just right.

Amazon.com: Elite Submersible Preset Heater Mini, 25-Watt: Pet Supplies

... but the bulb requires shipping, but at about 10 bucks total cost it's still less than you'd pay at most stores. Bulbs usually require a shipping fee or some kind of added fee just because of all the packing it takes to safely ship the fragile buggers.

Bulb link:
Amazon.com: Zoo Med UltraSun Daylight Compact Fluorescent Bulb, 10-Watt: Ozbo

CorallineAlgae said:
Most pet stores have mini heaters and U-shaped CFLs. I'm guessing that you don't have a store nearby. I found you a heater with free saver shipping on Amazon that'll be just right.

Amazon.com: Elite Submersible Preset Heater Mini, 25-Watt: Pet Supplies

... but the bulb requires shipping, but at about 10 bucks total cost it's still less than you'd pay at most stores. Bulbs usually require a shipping fee or some kind of added fee just because of all the packing it takes to safely ship the fragile buggers.

Bulb link:
Amazon.com: Zoo Med UltraSun Daylight Compact Fluorescent Bulb, 10-Watt: Ozbo

Thanks guys! The heater is really important, because i want shrimp. Thing is, my lfs is way overpriced on these things!

You should be able to find a suitable cfl in the shops. You don't need to ship one.

You can't always assume that. He probably couldn't fit a standard spiral CFL in the type of hood he has, he'd need a pet shop for it. I'd have to drive at least an hour to get to a pet shop and I don't live out in the country. It's much cheaper for me to order something, including shipping, than it is to spend on gas. Lots of people are further away from a shop than I am.

Doesn't need to be a pet shop. Anywhere (of any decency) that has lightbulbs will have cfls.

Very very true, but "U-shaped" CFL daylights aren't available in hardware stores. Those are in the pet stores or online. We're not talking about the same bulbs. The U ones are needed to fit his specific hood. Plus they work way better than the spiral ones if used horizontally. I wish I could get them at Lowes or HD. :(

CorallineAlgae said:
You can't always assume that. He probably couldn't fit a standard spiral CFL in the type of hood he has, he'd need a pet shop for it. I'd have to drive at least an hour to get to a pet shop and I don't live out in the country. It's much cheaper for me to order something, including shipping, than it is to spend on gas. Lots of people are further away from a shop than I am.

I apologize. In my country cfls are everywhere. They are the only type of bulb available. Incandescents where taken off the shelves 4-5 years ago.

Very very true, but "U-shaped" CFL daylights aren't available in hardware stores. Those are in the pet stores or online. We're not talking about the same bulbs. The U ones are needed to fit his specific hood. Plus they work way better than the spiral ones if used horizontally. I wish I could get them at Lowes or HD. :(
That doesn't have to be the ones used. The curly ones work fine.

FWIW, every walmart I've ever been to has had the U shaped CFLs

mfdrookie516 said:
That doesn't have to be the ones used. The curly ones work fine.

Its weird, i dont even have a close walmart, its at least 25 min away.:/

K guys, im thinking about the amazon ordering again. The prob is, the heater i was going to buy is 9" long. Sheesh! That will look pretty ugly! What can i do about that? That is the smallest heater i can find:/

mfdrookie516 said:

Really! I wish the one near me had U-CFL Daylights! I guess different regions stock their own ones. I've seen the cool white ones at Lowes and the spiral daylights everywhere. I had them on my 20g tank for 4 years and they did fine (in a different fixture than the guy here has). That's good to know, mfdrookie. Maybe if I had asked they could've gotten them in for me.

Ok, i just bought a curly, 13 watt, 6700 k CFL....WILL IT WORK? hahah

The u cfls are available in the fish section and you can also order them site to store if not. 25min away isn't far, I drive that one way to work every night, but then again I live out of the city.

I wouldn't worry about getting a heater for shrimp, and I don't heat my betta tank either.

Back
Top Bottom