A couple planted tank questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CorallineAlgae said:
If you're not used to using ferts, especially on a small tank, Flourish and Excel would be the way to go. It's really hard to overdose the Seachem stuff. You'd pretty much have to try. Dry ferts are the best option if your serious about maxing out your plants and have a lot of water to treat but on a 2.5g set-up Flourish would be super safe. If you under dose or even normal dose a small bottle would give your tank a lot of mileage. You could wait until your plants are in for a while and see if they yellow and actually need it. Otherwise your root tabs could be all you need. At least for a while.

Thanks! I think ill go with root tabs and flourish at first, and change up my game plan if stuff starts to look unhappy

Austin.b said:
I second that- ghosts are pretty lame lol :) Amanos eat quite a but of algea, you might have to supplement them in the tank. No, they require brackish water to breed, sorry. By breed I mean for the eggs to mature. You know, there are other Neo's, there's snowballs, yellows, rili's, blue pearls. And a green type. All breed like RCS!! (prolific) I might be ordering some rili shrimp soon, and if they breed, I'll send you some for the cost of shipping if you'd like?:D

That is cool there are so many types...but any that could be okay with my betta max? What do you hve in your betta tank austin?

That would be AWESOME! When the time comes, we will have to work out a deal! I cant let you just give your shrimp away, so well work somthing out

Gboy66 said:
That is cool there are so many types...but any that could be okay with my betta max? What do you hve in your betta tank austin?

That would be AWESOME! When the time comes, we will have to work out a deal! I cant let you just give your shrimp away, so well work somthing out

Not really, your betta could be fine for a few weeks or so, then decide to flip out and kill everything he sees:) lol right now, I don't really have a betta tank. One 10G is the high tech with some RCS Baby's and some chili rasboras, while the other has a badis badis pair and some CPD's. Oh and my 4 RCS adults. lol.

It's fine really, I plan to give some away to other people of here too, so don't worry:D

Did your betta die?:/ im sorry if he did

Ha, thatd be cool man. I really need some DW for this tank, but im not allowed to take any off of your manzanita we used for the 40!:( i need it!

Gboy66 said:
Did your betta die?:/ im sorry if he did

Ha, thatd be cool man. I really need some DW for this tank, but im not allowed to take any off of your manzanita we used for the 40!:( i need it!

Oh, no he didn't, he's now victim of fin rot:( but I moved him to his own tank:) thanks

Go for it! I say smash a pice off with a hammer, or you can try throwing it off your roof again;) hahaha

Austin.b said:
Oh, no he didn't, he's now victim of fin rot:( but I moved him to his own tank:) thanks

Go for it! I say smash a pice off with a hammer, or you can try throwing it off your roof again;) hahaha

Lol austin dont let him ruin the wood! Its beautiful and he would just ruin it for a betta tank. Darn him. :)

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Lol austin dont let him ruin the wood! Its beautiful and he would just ruin it for a betta tank. Darn him. :)

A PLANTED betta and SHRIMP tank...:D

Austin.b said:

Oh good! Thank the fish gods, hope he does better!!

Yes!!! It is literally the perfect piece man.

Just wanted to show you guys how it is so far. I need some more plants but thatll happen in due time.

That Anubias looks great!! May I recommend some Anubias nana/petite to tie onto the end of the driftwood? I think it looks great! Be careful with your betta's fins, he might snag them on the ends of the DW. I'm really liking the look of the tank!:)

Austin.b said:
That Anubias looks great!! May I recommend some Anubias nana/petite to tie onto the end of the driftwood? I think it looks great! Be careful with your betta's fins, he might snag them on the ends of the DW. I'm really liking the look of the tank!:)

Im betting you just liked the icecream in the picture next to the tank lol;) sorry bout that.

That would look awesome!! Id like to try that with petite, moss, or maybe even java. I still need somthing like ludwigia or rotala indica to clump in the back right, and a smaller plant for the ground..hmmm.

Fwi, i mixed in pfs to the sand to make it look more brown, and added small rocks around the left side/anubias.

Thanks a ton austin! I appreciate it!

Gboy66 said:
Im betting you just liked the icecream in the picture next to the tank lol;) sorry bout that.

That would look awesome!! Id like to try that with petite, moss, or maybe even java. I still need somthing like ludwigia or rotala indica to clump in the back right, and a smaller plant for the ground..hmmm.

Fwi, i mixed in pfs to the sand to make it look more brown, and added small rocks around the left side/anubias.

Thanks a ton austin! I appreciate it!

Haha yeah, I was totally staring at the ice cream the whole time! guilty as charged lol

I'll PM you, I might have some extra java moss and possibly some Taiwan moss, and some rotala. What about a crypt or two for the front left side where the DW is? I think C. Parva would fit in nicely:)

Austin.b said:
Haha yeah, I was totally staring at the ice cream the whole time! guilty as charged lol

I'll PM you, I might have some extra java moss and possibly some Taiwan moss, and some rotala. What about a crypt or two for the front left side where the DW is? I think C. Parva would fit in nicely:)

Hahah!

Man, that would be perfect. But a deal WILL be worked out. Pm sent!

On a side note, should i get some root tabs today? Maybe start dosing flourish and excel? If so, how often and both or just one of them? Im really worried about algae, the tank is crazy tough to clean without takig the driftwood out

You ever thought about adding one nerite snail and maybe a single otto? A little algae crew might help out and be fun to watch. The snail actually helps keep your driftwood looking really clean, and of course the glass will be cleaner, too.
Both ferts would be useful. You can even use the Excel with a bulb pipette to target certain types of algae and knock it on it's butt! I had some stringy algae on my driftwood that was there for years with no algae anywhere else... a little squirt with Excell and it was toast. lol

CorallineAlgae said:
You ever thought about adding one nerite snail and maybe a single otto? A little algae crew might help out and be fun to watch. The snail actually helps keep your driftwood looking really clean, and of course the glass will be cleaner, too.
Both ferts would be useful. You can even use the Excel with a bulb pipette to target certain types of algae and knock it on it's butt! I had some stringy algae on my driftwood that was there for years with no algae anywhere else... a little squirt with Excell and it was toast. lol

Haha i will do that!!! Thanks!

As forthe crew, i will definitly have some nerites and even try to get me hands on some amanos! I would be very happy with that!

So, should i buythe excel and the comprehensive? Or just one?

Gboy66 said:
Haha i will do that!!! Thanks!

As forthe crew, i will definitly have some nerites and even try to get me hands on some amanos! I would be very happy with that!

So, should i buythe excel and the comprehensive? Or just one?

I wish amanos were sold where I live! :(
Comprehensive is the basic fert mix and is fine for a small tank. I still use it in my 20g. Excel is very useful in tanks that don't have co2 or for target treating algae. I have a full on automated co2 system so I only use it to spot treat algae on my driftwood but if I didn't have pressurized co2 it would go in as an alternative carbon source.

For your setup, both would be a good idea. Your plants would do better and your algae should start to die down. If you decide to ever do a bigger planted setup dry ferts would be the best option. I'm switching to dry after I run out of all my liquids. Get us some picks when your new plants are all settled!

Haha! They arent very common in my store, but they pass through.

Very good, ill get both as soon as possible!

Gboy66 said:
Hahah!

Man, that would be perfect. But a deal WILL be worked out. Pm sent!

On a side note, should i get some root tabs today? Maybe start dosing flourish and excel? If so, how often and both or just one of them? Im really worried about algae, the tank is crazy tough to clean without takig the driftwood out

NOO! Please do not add any otto's!! They need to be in groups of at least 3 and require at least 20G's. However I've kept a pair alive in a 10G for 5 months, until one died from an infection and the other died soon after.

For algea, you can go with a less powerful bulb, like a 10 or 5w would work. If you want a snail, you can go with 2 horned nerites. IMO they're perfect for smaller tanks.

I don't think doing ferts in a invert tank is good news, I only say that because I've had really bad experience with that. Be very careful when doing excel!!!!! Can't stress that enough! Make sure to not overdose that! Just start off slow for ferts, and watch how your shrimp react. Root tabs would definitely be appreciated by your future stem plants! You can make your own, or get some online at bobstropicalfish.com, they're MUCH cheaper there, than at petsmart or Petco. Crypts are heavy root feeders, so make sure you put one under the crypt if you do end up getting some. You can dose excel every day, but, again, make sure to not overdose. With flourish comprehensive, you can dose once a week, or twice:)

Back
Top Bottom