About to throw in the towel!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Prediscus23

Aquarium Advice Freak
Sorry guys, haven't been on in a while.

I feel like giving up on this whole planted tank thing. My tank is being constantly over run with diatoms and I CANNOT get rid of them. I have asked countless people. No or can give me a solution,

I really do not want to lose my tank but I just don't know what else to do.

I don't know anything about your situation. Would you like to hear my advice? If so let me know the details of your tank.

Size, stock, filtration, length of time you've had it set up, length of time your diatom problem has persisted, lighting, ferts, co2, what attempted solutions you have already tried.

I read through some of your other threads (Algae problem, etc). Are you sure it is diatoms? Did you ever get rid of the BBA that was on your DW? How long has the tank been set up? I'm guessing since before November (based on your update thread).

I appreciate the help all, I had to go to work, however I will answer all the questions after I get off of work.

I looked through one of your old threads. Did you try anything like chemi-pure elite or Seachem PhosGuard?

What is your substrate?

Are you using tap water? - Have you tried RODI?

Ok guys, I am back lol.

I have been dealing with an insane amount of diatoms and frankly it makes me want to give it up.

26 Gal Bow front planted tank with an AquaClear 50 filter, water wisteria, Anubias Nana, Green cabomba and one unknown plant.
Seirayu stone.

Substrate:
SeaChem flourite Black sand and Flourite Gravel.

1 red Fugi discus
1 Blue leapord skin discus
1 German Blue ram
1 Cardinal tetra
1 Julli cory
2 24" High output florescent bulbs

I have a pressurized Co2 set up, however, my glass defuser broke.
So, I am using excel until I can afford a new one.

Ferts:
SeaChem Flourish Comprehensive
SeaChem Flourish Excel
SeaChem Flourish Root tabs
BrightWell Aquatics Black Water extract

I took out the driftwood that was previously mentioned.
I havent had any problems with any other types algae.
I haven't used any RODI water because there is none accessible to me, nor can I afford the system.

I have tried going completely dark for 3 days straight. All the advice people have given me was either unsuccessful or too expensive for me to do. Basically, people just tell me the do not know how to fix or it is the silicates in the water causing it (which I cannot do anything about.) :banghead:

Try using a silicate remover like Seachem PhosGuard. Many of the phosphate removers also remove silicates. I know that PhosGuard will adsorb phosphates and silicates and not mess with any other nutrient levels in your tank. If you didn't have a planted tank I would recommend using boyd's chemi-pure elite, but that would remove a lot more from your water than just phosphates and silicates.

Seachem. PhosGuard

3 days isn't long enough for a black out. Plants will be just fine with a 7 day black out. Spot treat daily with the recommended amount of excel. That's only a temporary fix. You must address possible deficiencies in your water chemistry.

I'd second the PhosGuard recommendation. Throw some of that in your media basket. A buddy of mine had bad diatoms that wouldn't budge. I kept telling him it goes away on its own but it never did. He ran some PhosGuard and it cleared up fairly quickly.

Edit: Be aware if you have high levels of phosphates you may need to swap it out weekly or less. Test for phosphates and when you start to see them rise again, change it out. Don't replace when it yellows, go by your test kit.

Soo I get my diatom problem fixed and NOW.... My water will not become clear and algae for the first time since I got the tank is becoming a problem.

What did you end up doing to treat the diatoms? Is it white or green cloudiness?

It starts white after I do my water change, I figured it would clear up like all the other times it got cloudy because of residual dust in the fluorite ( long story) but it didn't. After a few days the white cloud starts turning green.

A green cloudiness is usually a sign of a nutrient imbalance. What is your dosing schedule and your water parameters?

White cloudy water indicates bacterial bloom. Sounds like a mini cycle. Watch your water parameters daily as you will most likely spike ammonia next. Water chsnges as needed based on the daily tests

It didn't recycle... Your nitrates have bottomed out. What are you dosing and how often?

Edit: to expand on that a little more.. Having green water and zero nitrates means there is a nutrient imbalance. Something may need tweaked in your dosing schedule.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom