Accidental addition of fissidens fontanus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rivercats

Aquarium Advice Addict
Don't know how it happened but it seems I accidentally got some fissidens fontanus in my 220g and it found my DW. I noticed a small fern looking moss months ago but it was so pretty I didn't give it any thought. It seemed to spread slowly on various spots on the DW but recently I increased my dosage of glutaraldehyde and this Fissidens is spreading like a weed. At the rate it's growing it's going to spread over the entire large piece of DW. I also noticed today a small area is starting on the largest piece of DW and I didn't put any there. I can only assume a tiny piece came in on a plant and established on the DW. Does anyone grow this? Any info or insight on this moss? The yo-yo loaches like to groom through it so it stays very nice looking but isn't it rather strange that it just appeared out of the blue growing on a piece of DW in the tank.

I really want to keep this plant. No helpful info other than moss keeping relates to this plant.

I know some basic info on it, such as it grows slow, attaches to wood easily, and prefers cooler temps. But since I upped my daily glutaraldehyde it is spreading really fast and popping up in other areas of that wood and a totally different piece of DW. It's not slow growing now. I am going to try attaching some to rocks. I've seen pic's of it on rocks and they look really cool. Not too shabby for a tag-a-long freebee.

Yep, absolutely 100% sure, I've compared it to so many up close pic's of it there is no doubt. It's really quite a beautiful plant with those fronds. Still can't do pic's but hopefully soon.

Back
Top Bottom