algae already? :-/

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Evaunitone

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 20 gallon long panted tank that has been set up for one week. My plants have been in there for exactly a week, with one 39 watt 10,000 k bulb and an actinic bulb, EI dosing and sand substrate. I just did the first 50% water change and I've discovered that algae has grown on my anubias and a little on one of my rocks, literally overnight. Lighting is 12 on and 12 off. What's up with this? Any suggestions?

Oh, so I'm bad and I got two platys (tank not cycled yet obviously) because I figured with the weekly 50% water changes they would be fine and help to cycle it. Could they be making the nitrates in the tank too high? That cause the algae?

are you dosing EI for a 20 gallon tank? the thing about EI is its for a fully planted tank. if its set up for a week i dont think it can be a fully planted tank unless you dumped a lot of plants in there. also cut back the hours you leave your lights on. try 10 and still have problems go with 8. i personally wouldnt be adding any ferts to the tank to start with. get your basics down before you start jumping into the harder stuff like fertz.

Well several people told me I needed fertilizers but it makes sense to not use them in the beginning when I only have a sparsely planted tank.

Something i do to combat algae because i dose little to no ferts is run my lights 8 hours a day, 4 on, 4 off, 4 on... running 4 hours without the lights has helped me tremendously

I'm sure its not important who told me that. They probably didn't actually intend for me to use fertilizers at the very beginning but I didn't realize that. I'm not going to use fertilizers now until my tank is densely planted.

Back
Top Bottom