Algae growing on plants.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jizoel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank is becoming overtaken by algae growing on plants. The algae is growing on the tops of the leaves and is green and hair like.

What kind of fish would eat this algae?

Siamese Algae Eaters (Crossocheilus siamensis) would be an excellent choice for you. Otocinclus cats will also do an outstanding job.

In my 30 gallon I have 3 ottos. How many more do you think I should get? Another 3?

5 tiger barbs
5 australian rainbow fish
2 dojo loaches
1 Red Tailed Shark
1 some sort of tetra. Looks a little like an angelfish without the long fins.

3 is enug... give them time.
If too many, you will have problem too when the algea run out.

I have a 37 gal with 5 ottos and they are always eating, but never touch the green stringy algae that I have on my Amazon Sword.

Not to sound too negative, but between my bushy nose pleco and the 5 ottos I still have plenty of algae....I know they will never eat it ALL, but just commenting. :)

How old are you lamps (i assume florescent)? Are the designed for aquarium use? I had the same problem and I tired switching out my one year old compact bulbs with new ones and sure enough my plants started growing strong and the algae went away fast. I am fairly new to planted tanks and just learned how import it is to have lamps with full spectrum. Most hobbyist feel the lamps lose the full spectrum between 6 to 12 months.

There are lots of factors involved with algae, but basically it boils down to excess nutrients in the tank that the plants cannot access, due to the lack of a particular nutrient. High nitrates will do it, as will higher lighting without CO2. CO2 will enable the plants to access the nutrients better and the algae will be starved off.

My otocinclus handle mainly diatoms, but do not seem to touch anything green. My bristlenose are very good about keeping algae off hard surfaces, but they do not seem to groom the plant leaves.

My Ottos don't touch this stringy green stuff either. My Swordtail female and a Dwarf Neon Gourami occasionally eat a little of this green algae, but not enough to put a dent in it.

I'm trying to cut down on the lighting time, and of course watch the nutrient balance of macros and micros. Cutting down on the lighting (which Tank Girl suggested to me) seems to be helping plus bigger water changes ... up to 50% sometimes every week. I've plenty of light and CO2 and was watching my chemistry carefully so its probably too much light for me. I'll see. This is the last problem algae for my tank, so far. CO2 has vanquished the Black Brush Algae!

When you guys talk about water changes, are you also talking about vaccuming the gravel too...or just simply removing and adding back water? I know its a minor detail, but I just wanted to clarify...and not to suggest that I never vaccume the gravel. :)

In my heavily planted tank I can't really vacuum the gravel at all, since there are roots all over the place and they benefit from the decaying debris. I do vacuum up obvious bits and pieces, and mulm that collects on broad leaved plants, but for the most part my water changes are just water changes. In my tank that has only a few plants, mostly ones that do not have roots in the gravel, I do vacuum as thoroughly as I can at water change time, and stop when I have removed the quantity of water I want.

Back
Top Bottom