Algae growing on swords

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What type of lighting do you have and how long do you run it? Do you know what your nitrate and phosphate readings are? Do you dose ferts and if so what kinds? Do you run CO2 or use liquid carbon (Excel, API CO2 Booster)? Need to determine what's causing it first.

I've had that and when u do a wc get a bottle of peroxide and when the water gets below the plants, pour a little on the algae and let it stay on it about 15 minutes. Then refill and the next day it'll turn pink and fall off. Its black hair algae.

Spot treating with H2O2 will get rid of it but it will come back unless the problem that caused it in the first place isn't addressed.

Recently I have the same thing with mine. My levels are 0 trates, 40-80 trites (hard to read with colors on card all red), phosphorus 0.5. I think my co2 is running low and need to get refill. R my trites high?

Recently I have the same thing with mine. My levels are 0 trates, 40-80 trites (hard to read with colors on card all red), phosphorus 0.5. I think my co2 is running low and need to get refill. R my trites high?

You meant 0 nitrites and 40-80 nitrates right? That is high for nitrates. I try to keep mine at 10ppm as I have certain plants that like alittle lower nitrates and slightly higher phosphates. You would be good to keep nitrates between 10-20ppms. Phosphates .5-1ppm. Inconsistant CO2 levels can also cause issues and the combination of out of sink fert numbers and CO2 levels probably caused your problem.

No, its 0 trites and 40-80 trates. I hate the API kit for trates cuz the whole colored selection is red; like thats hard to distinguish one from the other. Trites were easy cuz it was blue; different from other colors. Not sure what the cause is, yet i think its a combination of my lighting and CO2. Hopefully Josie can give us more input on their tank so we can guide them. Is there any easy fix; besides spot treating? I have 125 and that just ain't gonna happen, lol.

No, its 0 trites and 40-80 trates. I hate the API kit for trates cuz the whole colored selection is red; like thats hard to distinguish one from the other. Trites were easy cuz it was blue; different from other colors. Not sure what the cause is, yet i think its a combination of my lighting and CO2. Hopefully Josie can give us more input on their tank so we can guide them. Is there any easy fix; besides spot treating? I have 125 and that just ain't gonna happen, lol.

Usually 20ppm of nitrates is a good number to stay around in a planted tank. Don't know what lights you have or how long you run them but the fact your CO2 might not be running up to par and high nitrates is enough to cause you trouble. I have a 220g and did some spot treating in the beginning and it's not that hard to do. Spot treat and get all you light, CO2, and nitrates fixed and you should be fine. BTW your not the only one that hates that nitrate card!

I keep reading mixed reviews if I should keep dosing (ferts) or not. I haven't dosed in couple days, hoping plants will out compete for the excess of nutrients and starving the algae. Hopefully I will have co2 replenished by then too. My lighting is 2-36" t5ho, set on siesta timing 10-2 and 530-930, approx 8 hrs. total.

Been really busy and didnt have time to check the thread. I have 48" T5-HO that runs usually 10 hrs a day. My nitrate are somewhere from 40-80 I have the API test kit also and I can't tell the difference on the card . And no test kit for phosphates

Ha, u sound like me. Do u dose co2? I think ur photoperiod is a little long but black algae is caused by "out of balance" conditions. What is ur dosing too?

I don't actually use any co2 but I do use a liquid fertilizer

Dropping your light down to around 8 hours a day (maybe even 6 until the algae gets under control) and do a couple big WC's to get your nitrates down to around 20ppm will go a long way in getting your algae under control. Also make sure your not adding too much fert especially if you don't have alot of plants. Also dosing a liquid carbon like excel daily will help plants grow and utilize the ferts which will help them to out compete the algae.

Okay thank you, I will give all that a try and let you guys know how it goes

Back
Top Bottom