Algae growth and plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tamtam

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a Java Fern Windelov in my tank right now that seems to be attracting a lot of algae growth. I actually had thought it was dying because it turned all dark looking. It's been in my tank for a few months and I was just loosing hope as it seemed to just keep getting darker. Then I thought I would try trimming the dead growth back and realized it was actually just a bunch of algae on the darn thing after rubbing it. Strange because my Amazon Sword have none really.

anyways. I'm trying to wipe the stuff off but those darn curly bits and the generally wrinkly leaves are making it tough. I don't want to damage the plant too much in the process.

I got most of it off the flat parts of the leaves, will the algae coating the upper parts effect the growth of the plant? I don't mind the algae but if it's going to kill my plant then... yea.

What color is your so-called algae? Is it a brownish color and easily wiped off? If it is, it's just diatoms and should eventually go away. But you should gently wipe them off the leaves of the plant. Diatoms are common in newly set up tanks and occasionally when putting new plants in a tank.

Depending on the type of algae many can be spot treated. Can you post a pic or do you know exactly what type it is?

I honestly have no idea what type it is. It looks more brown like diatoms but I'm not sure if that's simply because it's on such dark green leaves. I've got green hair like algae that will grow in spots where the sunlight hits the walls of the tank if I leave it alone and just some normal bright green algae I've been letting have it's way on the DW and stones.

It did have some of these spots when I bought it, which is sort of why I thought it might being dying as they just seemed to spread out. Maybe it was diatoms and it's just been spreading? If it is diatoms I don't see any anywhere else in the tank. It is currently cycling now though it's been in my tank for a while.. I lost my fish to illness so am starting over and kept the java fern.

I don't mind it but I just worry that if the growth is too thick that it might inhibit photosynthesis or something.

Diatoms can smother a plant if coverage gets too thick. Can you wipe if off easily with your fingers? If so it's diatoms. Try only running your lights 6 hours daily until algae gets better under control. You can always add just a small number or nerite snails to help out with it also. I think they would be your best bet as they can get on those leaves and clean them safely. I'd have said oto's but the tank needs to be at least 4-6 months mature.

Yes, most of it rubs off pretty easy, though the curly bits on the end are tough to clean without ripping the leaves.

I planned on getting some snails but didn't think I could add them while the tank is cycling so planned to wait.

I'll keep up with rubbing it from the leaves and reduce my lighting for now. When the tank cycles I will be adding a few snails. Unless I'm wrong and the cycle won't hurt them, which I doubt. lol.

Sounds like diatoms and I've never lost snails during cycling.

really? The ammonia/nitrite doesn't effect them? interesting. I'll have to go on a quest to find some soon.

Silly question but do they do well on sand? I've assumed so but should prob make sure. lol

I'm one of the few people who don't like sand but I've seen tons of people with snails and sand so I can't see why it wouldn't be fine. Yeah I've had snails in tanks with cycles countless times. Mind you I didn't purposely put them there as they were always in DW, rocks, plants and they didn't seem fazed by it. I even accidently moved a little nerite snail into a freshly planted cycling tank and the little guy didn't seem to have an issue. Maybe having plants in the tanks helped but I just think they are pretty hard to kill little creatures.

Yea, I'm torn on sand. lol. I love the look of it(when it's "clean") more than gravel but I am not a fan of every little thing showing up on the darn stuff.

I have in in my 30 gallon and am doing gravel in my 20.

Back
Top Bottom