Algae issues... Injected CO2 not an option

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luananeko

Aquarium Advice Addict
My 75g planted community has been running for close to 3 years with the same lighting, and only started having algae problems 2-3 months ago. The following factors may have caused this...
1) I was super busy and got lax on regular fert dosing and dropped to 50% water changes every other week instead of weekly.
2) I previously had a huge pond snail infestation, and my assassin snails plus loaches have finally managed to almost completely erradicate them. In fact, I now have so many assassins that I've been selling them back to my LFS!

Either way, I've got a bunch of near black spots covering my Amazon Sword, green slime on my Red Tiger Lotus leaves, plus tufty brownish algae all over my other plants... I've been attempting to fight the problem on my own by:
1) Removing the stems/leaves too covered to save
2) Double dosing Flourish Excel with it being added directly to the problem areas before dispersing
3) Dropped my lighting period from 12 hours to 10.
4) Gotten back onto my usual fert dosing and water change schedules.

My own measures haven't been winning the battle as well as I'd like, and I'm worried that double dosing Excel for this long is bad for the fish... Any ideas on what else to try? My plants are so sad looking and sparse from the aggressive cutting back I've had to do :(

Drop light exposure to 6-7 hours/day, keep with excel dosing. Mebbid is the guru on this subject, I believe it's 1 ml fir every 2g

Will I be able to go back to my old lighting periods once I get rid of the algae? I've never had a problem with it before... 6 hours of light isn't very long to enjoy my tank when it's in a dim room =\

I know, if you keep up with excel you should be able to do. 8-10 hrs, then just keep an eye on it

Phew, good... I wish I could do injected CO2, but my HOB filter would just outgas it all... I'll give the 6 hour lighting with my current Excel dosing a shot and cross my fingers. I really don't want to have to pull out all my plants and have a fresh start =\

Back
Top Bottom