Algae on glass lids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thursyanna

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'll take a picture this evening but I keep getting algae on the glass lids from my lights. I've started keeping the lights off most of the time now but I'm afraid my plants will suffer. I don't have a lot of live plants but would like to add more. I'm going to quess it's not safe to keep the lids off since I might have a jumper or two in the tank.
I've got a 55 gal long. There is a picture on my signature if anyone wants to look at it and give me any advise on keeping the algae off the lids. It's causing my lighting to be dim.

Is it on the actual lid or the the glass protectors over the bulbs? If on the lid this is the very reason I don't use lids. Personally other than removing the lids and wiping them down every couple of days I don't know of any way to keep the algae from returning. I'd love to hear if anyone has found a way to stop it from growing.

It's the actual lids. They are glass and the LED light bar sits on top. I thought about taking them off but I'm afraid someone might jump out!

Oh boy, I have 6 tetras, a Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami, a Pearl Gourami, a Giant Gourami, a Green Severum, 2 Eartheaters, a Striped Rafael Catfish, a Pleco, and a female Betta. Plus half the plants are real and the other half are fake. Trying to get all real ones but it's just taking time and $$.

I've never done this but I've heard many people over the years talk about using the plastic egg crate cut to size to use instead of a lid. It allows light but doesn't algae up.

The lids don't set on the water. They are about a 1/2" over the top of the water in the tank. I have a pleco but I don't think he can reach the algae. I was thinking about a snail, one that won't reproduce, to get it. Do you think that would work?

I've never done this but I've heard many people over the years talk about using the plastic egg crate cut to size to use instead of a lid. It allows light but doesn't algae up.

That sounds like a good idea. I'll have to find some of that this weekend if i get a chance. I'm glad you thought of that Rivercats!!

OK, got home, got the screen at Petsmart. It's for a reptile tank but it fits my 55 gal fine and is exactly what I wanted. The lady at the store said it wouldn't work but she obviously doesn't know me!! I used wire cutters and cut out two places for the filter tubes and one in the front to drop feed into. Looks good to me.

Attachments

• 2013-04-26 17.43.49.jpg
    2013-04-26 17.43.49.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 2013-04-26 17.44.08.jpg
    2013-04-26 17.44.08.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 2013-04-26 17.53.30.jpg
    2013-04-26 17.53.30.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 2013-04-26 17.53.48.jpg
    2013-04-26 17.53.48.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 62
My only concern is that mesh that small might reduce your light levels. Window screen is often used to reduce light levels by about 30%. This is obviously bigger than that (therefore less light reduction), but it's still probably a factor.

My only concern is that mesh that small might reduce your light levels. Window screen is often used to reduce light levels by about 30%. This is obviously bigger than that (therefore less light reduction), but it's still probably a factor.

Actually I'm getting more light in the aquarium because I don't have any algae growing on the glass.

Back
Top Bottom