Algea help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Josh2424

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I've had a little algae outbreak but I've never seen this stringy like algae (see picture) it grows on my plants and tangles everything up, how do I get rid of it???

image-808509418.jpg

It looks like it could be thread algae. Causes are low co2, low nutrients or nitrate spikes. It might also be cladophora, but I can't tell if it is branching out. Here is a good guide that describes freshwater algae, the causes and how to get rid of them.
James' Planted Tank - Algae Guide
I am sure Rivercats would probably know just by looking at the picture. Hopefully you can catch her. But in the mean time, I hope that helps.

That looks like Staghorn algae. It's pretty easy IMO to get rid of.

How long do you run lighting daily? Do you have good circulation in the tank as I've found low flow throughout the tank seems to encourage it. What is your nitrate level? What ferts are you using? Are you using liquid carbon or CO2?

You can spot treat it with Hydrogen Peroxide 3%. Turn off your filters. Pull 1-3ml of Peroxide for every 1 gallon of tank water up in a syringe and slowly squirt the algae. Leave filters off 20 minutes. If you have a lot you need to treat you can do an area a day. Then run lighting 6 hours and increase circulation. I use nano pumps if I need to increase circulation in a tank.

Back
Top Bottom