Amazon swords

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcannelis

Aquarium Advice Regular
I know they get up to 20in but how fast do they grow. Does anyone know what types of plants are good to get from petsmart petco or petland. I have 15g. Upgrading to 60 in June for graduation gift. I'm definitely getting some type of shark when I do

In my 60g planted, I started out in October and the amazon swords I had in the left corner were about 4" tall. now, in about the beginning of January I saw them breaking the surface at about 24" tall, just to give an idea of how fast they grow. The link to my thread is in my signature if you want to check it out, I can also link some pics...but in a good environment for them, happy swords will easily reach above 20" in 2 months time. at least thats IME!

I will have the pics in order from when I first started it, (middle pic - the swords are so small they are almost invisible lol), about 1-2 months into it(bottom pic), and then currently(top one).

Also, I agree with Rivercats, I bought some crypts from petsmart and they grow fine in my tank, but I also got some grass plant which is non aquatic, so it didnt do very well :( I also got some DHG from them, but I only buy the packaged plants, not the ones that come from their tanks, because frankly, my petsmart is not the best on algae control...:ermm:

Attachments

• 60trans2.jpg
    60trans2.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 60trans3.jpg
    60trans3.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 60trans4.jpeg
    60trans4.jpeg
    145.1 KB · Views: 71
I've seen the following plants at PetCo/PetSmart. Crypt Wendtii which would be a good substitute for a sword in a 15g. Then I've seen Bacopa, Ludwigia, Rotala, Vals, Dwarf hair grass, and swords. Just be careful when buying plants and it would help to write down these plants so you don't accidently buy non-aquatic plants, which they do sell.

Also different types of Anubias are sold in the tubes and at those stores you mentioned. They are neat looking but slower growers. Some are tall, and you can buy them larger sized for a couple dollars more! A helpful hint to get the gel granules out of the roots is to soak in bowl of warm tank water, then shake off.

Yep beside Anubia's I also forgot I've seen Java Fern Regular and Wendilov also.

Back
Top Bottom