Ammonia Chloramine Eliminator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use prime and I don't have any issues. But my water changes are 60% RO water and 40% tap. I also let the tap water sit for a few minutes before filling up the tank. It was hours yesterday as my tap water was coming out at 88 degrees. Take care and good luck, glad your crypts are coming back.

Yeah I have always used prime and the one time I dont use it all my crypts melt...ughh!! I just dont want them to melt when I go back to prime. And wow even your cold water comes out at 88 degrees?? I bet you get nice hot water!! :) Thank you guys again for all the advice and responses! I love learning new fish stuff whenever I can!

I do have one more question for anyone who can help. I am interested in getting Excel. I have heard this can melt plants as well. Do you think it would be good to use while the plants are already melted? Or would this put them over the edge?

Yeah I have always used prime and the one time I dont use it all my crypts melt...ughh!! I just dont want them to melt when I go back to prime. And wow even your cold water comes out at 88 degrees?? I bet you get nice hot water!! :) Thank you guys again for all the advice and responses! I love learning new fish stuff whenever I can!

Lol very hot, not that we need it. I am in Southern California and today the thermometer hit 100.

I use API Co2 booster sometimes and have not noticed issues. I think excel is the same thing. What I heard is that it kills or prevents algae growth, I see the same effect with API Co2 booster.

I would like to run real co2 but unfortunately I just don't have the funds for all of that right now so I figure I could at least use some excel for the time being until I can get the real thing. I am hoping the crypts dont melt AGAIN if I start using it haha they were going crazy and growing so well it hurts my heart a little when I look into the tank now and see just bareness and nubs! lol I honestly wonder if it was the water conditioner that did this to the crypts. I havent been able to find hardly anything at all even about this conditioner and it seems not many people I come across use it.

I would like to run real co2 but unfortunately I just don't have the funds for all of that right now so I figure I could at least use some excel for the time being until I can get the real thing. I am hoping the crypts dont melt AGAIN if I start using it haha they were going crazy and growing so well it hurts my heart a little when I look into the tank now and see just bareness and nubs! lol I honestly wonder if it was the water conditioner that did this to the crypts. I havent been able to find hardly anything at all even about this conditioner and it seems not many people I come across use it.

You could try DIY CO2. Cheap, simple to setup. Yes, it can be inconsistent and regulating is not really practical but I got decent results from it.

Yeah I have a 40 gallon and was told it wouldnt even be practical to try to use DIY co2 on such a big tank

Yeah I have a 40 gallon and was told it wouldnt even be practical to try to use DIY co2 on such a big tank

I have heard somewhere that above 20 gallons DIY CO2 becomes impractical, however, I believe that should be treated case by case and not as a rule. The addition of some CO2 is better than nothing and you can run multiple CO2 generators. Method of diffusion can make a difference as well. I simply let the bubbles get mixed into the intake of a second HOB. I suppose a ceramic diffuser would be more effective but IMO DIY CO2 may not produce enough pressure to work with it. Again, this is a low cost alternative until you get the funds for a tank/regulator/solenoid setup.

I have successfully run DIY CO2 in my 100g tank using two 1 gallon orange juice containers (Langers) from Costco. I used a ceramic diffuser and the pressure was plenty even after 3 weeks. I had both connected with a T and off course a check valve.
I didn't use a diffuser since the bubbles fully dissolved by the time they reached the surface. ( 30 inches high tank)
Co2 was always in green levels.
You should have no problem with your 44G.
Before using the two 1 gallon containers I used two 2.85 liter ocean spray juice bottles and it also worked. They just didn't last 3 weeks.
I still keep the 1 gallon bottles as a back up system.

Ok I am going to look into the DIY I just never thought it was practical so never even thought any into it. Thank you.

Elpez would you be interested in helping me out a little more into the diy co2? I was reading some of the mixtures but they are all for smaller bottles? Also what all would I need to buy? Thank you so much for the help so far! I know next to nothing about co2

I will send you some pictures.

And the mixture was easy. 2 cups sugar and 1/2 teaspoon yeast. I didn't use baking soda since it didn't make a difference. My tap water is already hard.

Cap drilled smaller than hose. Cut hose in a point to easily pass it through hole.

Attachments

• image-2248499166.jpg
    image-2248499166.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 43
You may use needle nose pliers to pull hose.

Attachments

• image-256031605.jpg
    image-256031605.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 41
Here are the two bottles attached with a T.

Attachments

• image-1715639922.jpg
    image-1715639922.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 46
Attach a check valve at the end of the hose of the two bottles. This is a picture of the valve I am using now. I didn't have one laying around.
Then from the check valve attach another hose and then the CO2 diffuser. If you don't have a diffuser you can use an air stone until you can get one. I recommend you use one for the fact that the diffuser will keep your system pressurized because of its restriction to flow and therefore your water very stable.

Attachments

• image-905522524.jpg
    image-905522524.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 50
I am using a similar setup that Elpez has described. Some differences:
I am using smaller (juice) containers because anything larger will not fit in the tank cabinet.
I use the silicone airline tubing from Petsmart. The plastic airline tubing may harden, crack, and leak over time when used with CO2.
I drill a 3/16" hole in the cap and use needle nose pliers to pull the airline tubing through it. It provides a tight fit with no leaking.
I use a home made bubble counter. See pic. Yes, some of the stuff came from a lab.
I use two check valves and place them between the bottle and the T or Y connector. That way when I remove ONE of the the bottles to replenish the yeast and sugar mixture, the system won't depressurize.
As for the yeast-sugar solution, I have been getting better results with a cooking thermometer. It has something to do with activating the yeast. I mix the sugar in very warm water and pour into the (juice) container. I pour off a small amount (half cup) into a coffee cup. Heat the cup in the microwave for about 10-15 seconds and measure the temperature. Adjust the temperature in the cup to between 105 and 115 degrees Fahrenheit (no higher) by reheating or adding cooler water. Add 1/2 teaspoon of dry yeast and mix it into the coffee cup and let it sit for a few minutes. Then pour it back into the container with the rest of the sugar-water mixture.
EVFtl3J.jpg

Thank you guys for all the help! I am going to try it out hopefully soon!! Also how do I know if I am getting enough or too much co2 in the tank?

Oh one more question although I am sure I will have many many more once I get this all set up. There are 3 bottles what goes into each of them?

Back
Top Bottom