Anti fungal treatments in planted tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PJFISH

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anyone successfully used anti fungal treatments in their planted tanks? I heard that these typically hurt plants, which are safe?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Using Medications

Has anyone successfully used anti fungal treatments in their planted tanks? I heard that these typically hurt plants, which are safe?

Hello PJ...

Putting chemicals other than water treatment into the tank water is never a good idea. You really don't know how the fish, plants and the good bacteria will react. Large, frequent water changes are the easiest and best way to fix tank problems. Remove and replace at least half the tank water every week for tanks up to about 30 gallons or so and every 2 weeks for the larger tanks and the inhabitants will be fine.

B

Hello PJ...

Putting chemicals other than water treatment into the tank water is never a good idea. You really don't know how the fish, plants and the good bacteria will react. Large, frequent water changes are the easiest and best way to fix tank problems. Remove and replace at least half the tank water every week for tanks up to about 30 gallons or so and every 2 weeks for the larger tanks and the inhabitants will be fine.

B

Thanks, I do 50% WC every week but I've noticed something that's not ich but may be responsible for killing some of my fish. Want to stop it in it's track before it teaks havoc and I'm thinking it may need to be medicated

Interesting question. Melafix and pimafix I've found cause little harm to plants. Dyes like MG and also acriflavine I've found don't do the plants any favours. I haven't tested this med by med, it's just observations from treatments so interested in other experiences. Salt in large doses would be out. I would also assume copper based meds wouldn't be good for plants.

Just a note here that I'm not suggesting a particular med, this is just plants vs meds.

Can you post a picture of the problem? True fungus isn't a very common infection to run into.

Back
Top Bottom