Anubis Propagation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coyne

Aquarium Advice Addict
Im pretty sure Ive got this figured out, but I wanted to be sure...

Im looking to propagate my Anubis. Online instructions say to cut off a section of the stolon and to make sure there are at least 3 leaves on the new piece.
Just to be clear: The stolon is the thick stem like structure that is growing horizontally, correct? Im not in a rush to do this and just wanted to make double sure Im understanding this instructions. After all, I wont be able to UNcut something. ;)

No, the stolon is the horizontal connection between two or more plants. Anubias doesn't do this. You got the steps right but you cut the rhizome on the anubias, not the stolon.

Hmmm... multiple sources mentioned cutting the stolon. I was just wanting to make sure I was understanding which part of the plant that was. Now Im even more confused. What is the difference between a rhizome and a stolon and how do I tell the two apart?
I'll try to remember to post a pick of my plant tomorrow if that will help. The lights are out right now though.

From AquaticCommunity.com
"Anubias are flowering species and will form seeds, but aquarists usually propagate Anubias plants using stolon division."

A Wiki link:
Anubias - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yeah just cut the thick stem (rhizome) that all the leaves come off. Leave 2-3 leaves between each segment that you cut. Use a scalpel it's easiest

Hmmm... multiple sources mentioned cutting the stolon. I was just wanting to make sure I was understanding which part of the plant that was. Now Im even more confused. What is the difference between a rhizome and a stolon and how do I tell the two apart?
I'll try to remember to post a pick of my plant tomorrow if that will help. The lights are out right now though.

From AquaticCommunity.com
"Anubias are flowering species and will form seeds, but aquarists usually propagate Anubias plants using stolon division."

A Wiki link:
Anubias - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A rhizome is the part of the plant that has all the roots and leaves growing off of it. The rhizome is the piece you want to cut.
The stolon is the link between two plants (such as when a jungle val send of a runner, the link between the runner and the mother plant is the stolon). Anubias do not have stolon.

Is it ok to trim off the roots while Im at it? There might be more roots than there is the rest of the plant.

Try not to trim too many roots because they help the plant attach to their new home. As long as there is a good amount of roots/leaves the plant should be fine.

Good to know. I was more concerned with the plants that have already attached to my driftwood. They have roots growing everywhere and its starting to look out of control.

Back
Top Bottom