Aquarium progression

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishingMouse

Aquarium Advice Freak
My sister rolls her eyes at me every time I geek out about my aquarium, so I decided to start a thread here like I've seen others do.
General stats:
10 gallon
Aqueon whisper 10
Two air stones connected to a top fin 1000 air pump
Eco complete plant substrate

Eventual plant stock:
Anubias nana
Java moss
Java fern
Dwarf hair grass
Glosso

Eventual livestock:
5-6 zebra striped danios
1 dwarf gourami
2-3 ghost shrimp
1 mystery snail

Tank is currently cycling, so I'm just aquascaping without plants for now. Will add plants when cycle is almost done, and start with the danios a week after that (after some time in a 2.5 gal hospital tank with the same filter that will probably have a sponge over the intake.

Current aquascape pictures:

Attachments

• image-2574117136.jpg
    image-2574117136.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 134
  • image-92814289.jpg
    image-92814289.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 150
You can start adding plants now if you want, they shouldn't affect the cycle.

And please post pics after you add the plants. I'm getting interested in aqua-scaping and may start with a small tank like this.

Adding plants now will actually aid in cycling your tank faster. The more plants you add the better. One thing you didn't say is what you lighting is.... T8's, T5HO's, ??? Dwarf hair grass and glosso both need high light and either CO2 or liquid carbon to grow and carpet well.

Adding plants now will actually aid in cycling your tank faster. The more plants you add the better. One thing you didn't say is what you lighting is.... T8's, T5HO's, ??? Dwarf hair grass and glosso both need high light and either CO2 or liquid carbon to grow and carpet well.

+1 to this,Rivercats knows her stuff...your lighting&etc will determine your Success with glosso&dwarf hair grass...

Sorry about that. Lighting is two 6500 K 13 watt CFLs. Thank you for the info on dwarf hairgrass and glosso, I had read that they would grow under low light, just not as fast. I don't care if they grow quickly or not, just that they don't die.

Also, I was afraid the high ammonia in the cycle might hurt the plants, any feedback on that? I was recommended to add them later, after the ammonia starts to drop.

Plants actually use ammonia and nitrates! So by adding alot of fast growing stem plants, water sprite, and wisteria you tank will cycle faster. As for the lighting you might be able to do them in a 10g but you need to think about adding liquid carbon or doing some DIY CO2,

Plants actually use ammonia and nitrates! So by adding alot of fast growing stem plants, water sprite, and wisteria you tank will cycle faster. As for the lighting you might be able to do them in a 10g but you need to think about adding liquid carbon or doing some DIY CO2,

What brand of liquid carbon would you recommend?

You have a choice of Excel, API CO2 Booster, and Glutaraldehyde. I use Glut as you can get a gallon on line for about $27 with shipping. You throw away the small activator bottle that comes taped onto the gallon bottle of glut, then mix the gallon of glut with 1-1/2 gallons of RO water to get 2-1/2 gallons of Glut that is about the same strength as Excel. I'm all for being economical. Here is what I buy... Glutaraldehyde Cold Sterilization Solution 14 day 1 Gallon: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific. They are currently out on this site but found a medical supply store that I got some from at the same price. Mericide 14 day solution is what you want to look for.

Okay, thank you! I think I'll go with API, since that'a locally available to me. I'm picking up a couple smaller plants today. I'm looking at water wisteria and needle leaf ludwigia, for now, opinions?

Current plant stock:
6 water wisteria
1 java fern (windelov variety)
I will probably move them around a bit once they don't look so skimpy. I also am waiting on my driftwood (as it's still pretty floaty). I will probably attach java ferns/ moss and Anubias to it. I will keep a more extensive photojournal in an album on my profile.

Attachments

• image-1568288504.jpg
    image-1568288504.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 127
1 java fern
Several stalks of water wisteria
2 Anubias

Attachments

• image-1267944492.jpg
    image-1267944492.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 110
Soon-to-be inhabitants of my tank arrived today!

Attachments

• image-3645249420.jpg
    image-3645249420.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 106
  • image-3702710709.jpg
    image-3702710709.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 106
  • image-136858058.jpg
    image-136858058.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 99
Thank you to junglefowl for the new plants!

Attachments

• image-2240603766.jpg
    image-2240603766.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 111
  • image-3575329339.jpg
    image-3575329339.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 116
Thank you to junglefowl for the new plants!

Your welcome man!!! One suggestion, ludwigia and HM will grow really tall if you have enough light...put some stems in the back, behind the DW and rocks as well, they will look good when they grow and make a nice background for the tank...

Your welcome man!!! One suggestion, ludwigia and HM will grow really tall if you have enough light...put some stems in the back, behind the DW and rocks as well, they will look good when they grow and make a nice background for the tank...

Okay, thank you for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom